Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-29-2012, 03:49 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Reading glasses/computer glasses??

Here's my problem. I have good vision...recently had my eyes tested, but I do need reading glasses for close up and computer glasses for that one to two foot distance. I've been using two sets of glasses with one being +1 for computer distance and the other being +2.5 for reading close up. This becomes silly when trying to multi-task on the computer and reading a document at the same time to get a job done. Swapping glasses and stacking one on top of the other looks goofy. Now, I suppose I could have an expensive pair made which would be a bifocal including both powers, but I'm wondering if any here have had experience with pre-made glasses at a more reasonable price point. I've been googling it for a while, but I can't find any ready made readers of this type. Do they exist, and does anyone use them?

Larry

07-29-2012, 04:27 PM   #2
Inactive Account

My only suggestion is to steer clear of non-prescription glasses. They often do more harm than good. I know it's expensive, but it will be better for your eyes if you see a professional and get glasses made specifically for you, to suit your eyes.
07-29-2012, 04:56 PM   #3

Location: Jessica Lake, Whiteshell Provincial Park, or Winnipeg Manitoba, Canada
Photos: Gallery | Albums
My dad wears trifocals - distance, computer and reading and has no problem with his.
07-29-2012, 04:57 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I agree. This is what I have for computer use. A custom made pair of +1 by my local Optometrist. Since I spend much time at the pc, I thought this was important. However, I use a nice pair of off the shelf +2.5 for the occasional reading of physical material. These work fine as they are not the Walmart specials hanging on a rack. Still, there are times when I need both powers simultaneously in which case swapping back and forth is impractical. I've already convinced myself to do the right thing and have a pair made for me. You are right about optics....the over the counter stuff at the drug store at best tend to be not so good.

07-29-2012, 07:16 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I am wearing multi focal contacts as I type this. If you have eyes that are not too dry, and have little astigmatism, you might be able to wear them. My right eye is 0.0 ADD HIGH and my left eye is -0.25 ADD HIGH - the lenses are Bausch & Lomb Purevision Multi Focal. I use these because I can leave them in for a day or a week without harming my eyes. They are actually rated 30 days, but I find that a bit extreme.

When my cataract surgery was done, they set both my eyes at +0.5, meaning that I need correction for distance of -0.5. My left eye also needs -0.5 additional for astigmatism. I have tried several prescriptions and these two work best for me, despite the apparent shortness of vision. Outdoors, I have no problems at distance despite having 20/30 vision. I guess my irises stop down enough to give me good hyperfocal distances.
07-30-2012, 01:25 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I use multi focal glasses as at any distance the world is a decidedly unsharp with out them , and i have no problem swapping between reading document and then the screen

BUT

what what tends to happen is that because at a screen viewing distance you look through the lower third of the glass/plastic lens it is very easy to end up tipping your head back with out realising what you are doing till you begin to wonder why you have a stiff neck.

I would strong suggest a visit to a optician and a discussion over the best way forward would be a good idea.

I have ended up with my multi focal for every day use and a pair of reading glasses for the computer.

My eyes essentially need the same prescription for the computer as reading book, so that works for me

Last edited by adwb; 07-30-2012 at 07:34 AM.
07-30-2012, 01:46 AM   #7
Forum Member

My optician gave me a compromise set for reading. They work fine for reading stuff lying on my desk and also for the computer screen (the outer limit at which I can use them). If I try to read stuff too close to me though they don't work but I've not found that to be a problem yet. My watch is at the closest limit that they work as long as I don't bend my arm too much. :-)

Ronnie

07-30-2012, 07:29 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Some years back when I complained to the optometrist that looking up a sharply and reading (work related) was hard to do he offered to to make me an upside down pair of bifocals.

I currently have a pair of custom computer glasses; they are focused for perfect reading at the 36" monitor distance I use. Perching them on the end of my nose allows me to read printed text at about 20".

I see no reason why you could not have a pair made that would allow you to do both.
07-30-2012, 08:41 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I ordered a pair of these. For the price, I thought it was worth a try.

Reading Glasses | Progressive Reading Glasses

07-30-2012, 09:46 PM   #10
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

While I don't know about the long term effects--for short periods I think one side of the glasses for intermediate distance and one side for reading would work. The brain apparently has no trouble choosing the better picture. (I say this bc my optometrist suggested I use two different contacts for scuba diving to see distance and read my camera settings.)
07-30-2012, 09:57 PM   #11
Pentaxian

I wear tri-focals. My distance vision is pretty good and I really don't need glasses for that but I was in the same situation. Switching glasses, loosing glasses. I had a pretty good collection at one point and I wasn't unlike Fred Sanford for those who remember. I finally went to the Optomitrist and got glasses. Bifocals first and then trifocals a couple of years later. It took a while to get used to them but no problems now. I wear them all the time. It's easier that way and I'm less likely to loose them. I'm required to wear safety glasses all the time at work anyhow. I don't wear them when I manually focus my camera.
07-31-2012, 04:19 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bigted Quote
My dad wears trifocals - distance, computer and reading and has no problem with his.
+1. I've had my new pair (moving from bifocals to trifocals) about 2 months, and they work fine -- but they aren't cheap. My new ones cost me $230 out of pocket. My wife's new pair (bifocals) cost a tad over $400 out of pocket. Yikes! I started having to wear reading glasses in my early 30's.
07-31-2012, 05:14 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The problem you will have with the pre made glasses is if your eyes are in need of different corrections, the pre made will only work well on one eye and cause eye strain in the other eye. I ran into this with reading glasses. If you can find two identical pairs with different strengths (one for each eye) you could switch the lenses to make a good pair. I did something similar - my right eye needed no correction while the left one did, so I bought a pair for the left eye and removed the lens on the right side. Looks weird, but I use them at home and they work great.
07-31-2012, 05:25 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've got prescription progressive lenses and love 'em. I was delighted when I reached the point where I had to wear glasses full time: up to that point, I wasted enormous amounts of time looking for my glasses.
07-31-2012, 05:44 AM   #15
Veteran Member

I recently had my prescription bifocal glasses made here for $60 and they are excellent. Give them a call as their assistance was excellent.
http://www.eyebuydirect.com/