Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-28-2008, 01:37 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Pentaxian Stereotype Comment

So I went to Disney Animal Kingdom couple of weekends ago, I would have to say about 75% Nikons and 24%Canons, 1% "other". I saw no other Pentaxians.

I went to NASA yesterday, I saw at least 4 Pentax K10Ds, 1 Nikon, all the rest Canon. Dare I say Pentaxians must be smarter? I would expect the caliber of NASA goers to be a little more intelligent than the average Animal Kingdom goer... (doesn't say much for me).

hehe just a fun observation!

Justin

01-28-2008, 06:09 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by nex1 Quote
So I went to Disney Animal Kingdom couple of weekends ago, I would have to say about 75% Nikons and 24%Canons, 1% "other". I saw no other Pentaxians.

I went to NASA yesterday, I saw at least 4 Pentax K10Ds, 1 Nikon, all the rest Canon. Dare I say Pentaxians must be smarter? I would expect the caliber of NASA goers to be a little more intelligent than the average Animal Kingdom goer... (doesn't say much for me).

Justin
maybe 'cheaper' is more accurate?
01-28-2008, 06:23 AM   #3
Veteran Member

doesn't say much for me
Actually it says a lot about you...you're smart but you also know how to relax. LOL

Welcome to the forum.
01-28-2008, 10:34 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Well I do have an annual pass for NASA, I of course never pay to go to the Disney / Universal Studios, there are enough employees around here to always get me in for free hehehe

01-28-2008, 10:42 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Justin
I have a question regarding the "fun observation"

Specifically how many P&S cameras did you see.

I would be willing to bet that some of the P&S shooters also have a DSLR, but for simple touring don't take it.

In many instances a P&S does sufficiently well for snapshots./
01-28-2008, 10:45 AM   #6
Igilligan

The power of the mouse

Well I do have an annual pass for NASA, I of course never pay to go to the Disney / Universal Studios, there are enough employees around here to always get me in for free hehehe
Be very careful about admitting you are getting in for free at a Disney Park. Mickey has big ears for a reason...

I have heard of people being let in for free by a friend.... and never being seen again. Come to think of it, those $9 Hot dogs always had a bit of an after taste.

-gus-
01-28-2008, 03:20 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Well of course I saw hundreds of P&S's, at Disney I was actually one of them - I had my handy dandy Canon S2 IS which I think is a GREAT P&S - heck I can even manually focus it, I also hacked it so I can shoot in Canon RAW CRW if I want, even have a live histogram - I didn't want to break my Pentax on a ride/roller coaster, or get it stolen. I wouldn't cry as much if the Canon was stolen/broken.

As for getting in for free, the full time employees can get in 3 additional people whenever they visit they park, so nothing wrong there - not like I snuck in - though I wouldn't be opposed in doing so :P

Maybe.... there were a lot of closeted Pentaxians there.... but they all brought their disposable Canon P&S ?

Attached Images

01-28-2008, 05:13 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Wow. Mickey is bigger than I imagined for a mouse!
01-28-2008, 05:40 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well of course I saw hundreds of P&S's, at Disney I was actually one of them - I had my handy dandy Canon S2 IS which I think is a GREAT P&S - heck I can even manually focus it, I also hacked it so I can shoot in Canon RAW CRW if I want, even have a live histogram - I didn't want to break my Pentax on a ride/roller coaster, or get it stolen. I wouldn't cry as much if the Canon was stolen/broken.
Maybe.... there were a lot of closeted Pentaxians there.... but they all brought their disposable Canon P&S ?
Did you count yourself then in the pentax group?
01-29-2008, 03:03 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
I have a question regarding the "fun observation"

Specifically how many P&S cameras did you see.

I would be willing to bet that some of the P&S shooters also have a DSLR, but for simple touring don't take it.

In many instances a P&S does sufficiently well for snapshots./
Last week I picked up two more film cameras. One is a 1960 "Meica 35" toy camera. The other is one of the pioneer P&S cameras, the Konica C35 E&L (C35V outside Japan). Zone focus with a 38/2.8 lens, ISO from 25~400, stepless shutter from 1/25~1/60 and stepless aperture from f2.8~f14. Fits in my front pants pocket. Incredibly fun to use, and I can easily foresee myself leaving my SLRs / TLRs / folders / rangefinders at home sometimes and just enjoying a walk with this little gem. Cost me under $10.

Photos from the Konica C35 E&L
Photos from the toy camera
01-29-2008, 10:39 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Justin
I'll go with the "smarter" conclusion... We Pentaxians have always been a minority. Everyone can buy a nikon or a canon and say they are a photographer, but Pentaxians, buy a superior tool that caters to their requirements rather than popular desires. Thus we are...

The Few, The Proud, The PENTAXIANS!

Check out this thread and show your pride!