Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
08-05-2012, 08:08 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Can anyone offer me some Ebay advice- please?

I honestly don't know what to do in this situation and if anyone would be able to help me out, I'd be very thankful.

Someone purchased an item (value of $65) from me on Ebay. They are from Canada; a country that I don't ship to. So I open a case that I want to cancel the transaction; reason being that the buyer requested to ship to a country that I don't ship to. They decline to cancel the transaction. They send me a message and ask me if I could ship it to their warehouse in New York. I reply to them, no because that is not your Paypal confirmed address. They reply that they know but he's brought from the US many times and has had many people send him things there and that I can send it there to. I proceed to tell him no again; it is not your PP confirmed address and if I send it to an unconfirmed address, he can say that he never got the item and I will be out $65 because I do not have Paypal coverage if I send to an unconfirmed address. The buyer still hasn't payed (and I don't want him to pay), he's not replying to my message either of me asking him to open a case that he wants to cancel a transaction (I can't open another case because he declined the one that I opened on him).

What can I do in this situation? I want to close the case and get my 9% seller fee for the item back. I also don't want to ruin my 100% feedback, Top Rated Seller, and Bronze Powerseller Statuses...

The last thing that I'm going to do is send to that unconfirmed address because I've already done that once with a $100 item and had to refund them the money (back when I first started Ebay and I was stupid...)

08-05-2012, 09:30 PM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I would contact eBay by phone. You have to weed through the online customer support options, but you can contact them by phone. The one time that I did speak with someone at eBay they were coherent. I was surprised.
08-05-2012, 09:52 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lammie200 Quote
I would contact eBay by phone. You have to weed through the online customer support options, but you can contact them by phone. The one time that I did speak with someone at eBay they were coherent. I was surprised.
Thank you. I was considering that if all else fails- it looks like I've gone as far as I can go online with this. Can't seem to find any other options of closing the transaction unless I convince the uncooperative buyer to open a case and cancel the transaction.

I think I'll give it another day and see if they ever reply to my last message... if not, I think I will have to contact them.
08-05-2012, 10:14 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Whatever you do keep the item in your possession until the matter is resolved. I had a buyer waffle with excuses for delaying payment. He even suggested that I relist the item if I couldn't wait for him to pay. I sold it to the next highest bidder, and the first guy went all ape shite on me. Said that I didn't give him a chance to pay, left negative feedback, etc. I finally got him to revise his feedback, but I had hear the excuses of a car accident, hospital bills, etc. quite a few times before he did. Of course he had a total of two previous transactions. I was suspicious and I only did what he suggested by relisting the item.

08-05-2012, 11:35 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
If you go thru the resolution centre you can do a realtime chat with an ebay person, I did it once for an item I was trying to buy, then the seller just wasn't around, never got back to me about shipping costs, so I contacted the online chat ebay rep, explained the story, they checked my messages to the seller and the sellers unresponsiveness, and cancelled the whole thing, It did take a week or two, then when the seller tryed to leave bad feedback, (which the ebay rep said they would probably do) I contacted ebay again, and they removed that from my account. All you do is go thru the resolution centre, explain they won the bidding but were not eligable to bid as they were not in your shipping destinations, and that they are now asking you to go against Paypal and ebay rules and ship to an address that is not the Paypal address. Be very clear on that one as that is the deal breaker for them as they have not follwed the rules of ebay and paypal. Tell them you wish to cancel the transaction and have your fee returned to you so as you can relist the item.
08-05-2012, 11:41 PM   #6
Veteran Member

There are a couple of people who answer most of the questions posted in the eBay Community "Answer Centre" (link at top of page). They can usually point you to some help page explaining what to do in a given situation. Somewhere in the settings (ask on the answer centre page) there's a way to block buyers from countries you don't ship to. Stating it in the shipping details is apparently not enough -- you have to program that in the settings, or eBay will still let them bid.
For the present case, if he's not responding to anything, you could open an unpaid item case, then cross your fingers for 4 days, then close the case as soon as possible if he doesn't respond. You could also bite the bullet on this one, & tell him you'll ship to Canada this once, but it will cost him. Send him an invoice for adjusted shipping using a trackable method like Global Priority or something like.
Once you get clear of this transaction, add him to your blocked buyers list.
Good luck!
08-05-2012, 11:51 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Just out of curiosity... Why no shipping to Canada?

08-06-2012, 12:02 AM   #8
Inactive Account

In case tou don't know, it is very simple to ship to Canada by USPS. Just take your package to the nearest office or phone abd provide the weight and suze and USPS will give you a rate. Choose the lowest International rate. You will need the Canadian address and Postal Code.
Then ask your buyer to pay the charges and ship it. It is as east as sending to a USA address.
08-06-2012, 05:38 AM   #9
Veteran Member

How is it possible for someone without a paypal US address to buy from you...unless you offered the item for sale in Canada, the guy should not have been able to bid on it? I am in the UK and forever being pestered by some dude Krychecz in Eastern Europe whenever I sell Pentax kit...he has to surf ebay.co.uk, and then tries to contact me to offer the item for sale in [x] country. But my items dont show on the foreign sites, as I dont want the hastle of dealing with international postage.

If you have advertised it for sale in Canada, then you would be reneging on your deal...Ebay may or may not let you cancel with a refund on the fee, but I'd say you'd best contact them to find out your position. Certainly, I'd not bother communicating with the buyer, as they sound pretty unreasonable for not letting you off, and there is no point in dealing with unreasonable people! The worst thing that can happen is that you get some verbal abuse and then they will get banned from Ebay. If they are in another country, who gives a monkeys
08-06-2012, 03:55 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Send him an eBay invoice with the cost for shipping the item Express Mail International to Canada. It’s trackable and you are covered by insurance. Like other PF Canucks have mentioned, there is no reason not to ship to Canada. (We’re not Nigeria)

Phil.
08-06-2012, 04:57 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
Send him an eBay invoice with the cost for shipping the item Express Mail International to Canada. It’s trackable and you are covered by insurance. Like other PF Canucks have mentioned, there is no reason not to ship to Canada. (We’re not Nigeria)

Phil.
In order to be covered under PayPal policies, you can't use the cheaper options -- it is $25 minimum for a trackable option. So shipping to Canada for items that are worth very little (say under $10), using the cheap shipping and taking the risk makes sense. It also makes sense to ship to Canada for anything expensive enough to make it worth it for the trackable shipping, say over $100. But for $40-$60 items where the shipping is such a huge percentage of the cost, it doesn't really make sense. Plus it is a much bigger hassle to ship because of the customs forms, etc.

But to the original question, it should have been impossible for the bidder to even bid if you set your auction up correctly.