Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-06-2012, 01:17 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
hunter-gatherer

I'm sorry, this is toooooooooooooo cute..................

Mitt Romney, hunter-gatherer, lets his wild side slip - latimes.com
But here’s Romney’s 99% moment:

After leaving his lakefront home on Lake Winnipesaukee, the candidate stopped by Bradley’s Hardware, where he emerged with a beige bucket and told reporters he had picked up “hardware stuff.”

He then swung by Hunters Shop ’n Save, where he picked up two ears of native sweet corn (on sale at two for $1), 12-packs of Caffeine Free Diet Coke and Wild Cherry Diet Pepsi and a 24-pack of Poland Springs bottled water.

After meeting with advisors Monday, Romney said he planned to make his own dinner: “That’s not exactly cooking.”

THEN again...........
QuoteQuote:
Mitt and Ann Romney were easily able to afford a $12-million La Jolla home.
But that didn't insulate them from the winds buffeting the real estate market in the months following their purchase in 2008.After paying cash for the Mediterranean-style house with 61 feet of beach frontage, they asked San Diego County for dramatic property tax relief.
Romney, the presumptive GOP nominee for president whose wealth is estimated at $250 million, has rejected calls from Democrats and Republicans to release his income tax returns prior to 2010. But San Diego County assessor records shed light on one sliver of the couple's personal taxes during that time: a months-long effort to reduce their annual property tax bill.
Initially, the Romneys asked that their 2009 assessment, $12.24 million, be reduced to $6.8 million, maintaining that their home had lost about 45% of its value in the first seven months they owned it.
Thirteen months later, after hiring an attorney to guide them, the Romneys filed an amended appeal, contending the home had suffered a less-dramatic fall of 27.3%, to $8.9 million.
just like any "average Joe" who pays 12mil cash for a house............

Romneys, caught in housing bust, got property tax cut in La Jolla - latimes.com

QuoteQuote:
The Romney campaign referred all questions about their La Jolla property taxes to Matthew A. Peterson, a lobbyist and attorney who helped the Romneys find the home. He has also guided them through the complex permit process for demolishing the home and rebuilding on the site.
I'd be incensed too if I had to pay full tax on a 12mil house I'm planning to demolish..........
QuoteQuote:
Referring to their initial claim, Peterson said he did not know how the Romneys determined that their house value had fallen so dramatically, but he thought they may have been reacting to dismal news reports. In any case, he said, they were not required to file documentation at the beginning.
QuoteQuote:
"You hire a lawyer, a team of appraisers, and you come up with a realistic value, then file a realistic appeal."
SOP for us 99%-ers, how could I have missed that "loophole"..............

QuoteQuote:
But "once I got involved," Peterson said, "the tax assessor's office was pretty darned aggressive determining the value."
What's his number?....................

Last edited by jeffkrol; 08-06-2012 at 01:54 PM.
08-07-2012, 01:26 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hmm.. nobody found that as funny as I apparently.... I was waiting for "some of my best friends own chains of grocery stores"..............

anyways a bit of meat to the tax story for later:
analysis by tax "experts".............

Why won't Romney release more tax returns?
Why won't Romney release more tax returns? - CNN.com
Editor's note: Edward D. Kleinbard is a professor at Gould School of Law at the University of Southern California. He is the former chief of staff of Congress's Joint Committee on Taxation. Peter C. Canellos, a lawyer, is former chair of the New York State Bar Association Tax Section.
QuoteQuote:

The U.S. presidency is a position of immense magnitude and requires a thorough vetting. What the American people deserve is a complete and honest presentation by Romney of how his wealth was accumulated, where it is now invested, what purpose is served by all the various offshore vehicles in which he has an interest and what his financial relationship with Bain Capital has been since his retirement from the company. These are all factors that go to the heart of his character and values.

For a nominee to America's highest office, a clear and transparent reporting of his finances should be nothing more than routine.
08-07-2012, 01:29 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Even here he is avoiding taxes as New Hampshire doesn't have a sales tax.