Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-08-2012, 03:05 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
James Holmes is more likely crazy like a fox than really crazy. The guy was studying all the chemistry necessary to fake it and he even sent his shrink a notebook to set up an insanity defense before he started all this. I don't buy his "I'm so crazy I'll just stare at the wall now." act one bit.

08-08-2012, 04:25 AM   #32
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
I just read your link. I'm speechless that someone could think that let alone actually say it out loud in public.
It's satire. But very believable.
08-08-2012, 05:42 AM   #33
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
I just read your link. I'm speechless that someone could think that let alone actually say it out loud in public.
While I don't particularly like Bachmann, you do realize that the Onion is a spoof news site don't you? You have been spoofed! Hysterical
08-08-2012, 05:43 AM   #34
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
James Holmes is more likely crazy like a fox than really crazy. The guy was studying all the chemistry necessary to fake it and he even sent his shrink a notebook to set up an insanity defense before he started all this. I don't buy his "I'm so crazy I'll just stare at the wall now." act one bit.
And on top of that, the notebook conveniently got there LATE. That may have been to set up a, "poor guy needed help, if only that shrink had checked her campus mail . . . "

08-08-2012, 06:59 AM   #35
gtl
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
While I don't particularly like Bachmann, you do realize that the Onion is a spoof news site don't you? You have been spoofed! :Hysterical:
LOL check out "The Onion Movie".....
08-08-2012, 09:26 AM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
Schizophrenia usually manifests itself with a "break". Before that everything appears pretty normal, and the disease is almost always undiagnosable. You wouldn't look for it unless the whole family is schizophrenic. The typical age is late teens or early 20s. Because the brain also rewires itself at this same age, one theory has the rewiring process going wrong. Schizophrenics believe and act strangely because their brains aren't making the right connections. It isn't temporary either. Medications can calm the brain, and some patients can recognize that their thoughts are not "right". Nearly all are only dangerous to themselves. Someone who is violent enough to make the national news is probably going to spend a lifetime in some kind of facility.

Jared Loughner (Tucson) seems to be the classic schizophrenic violent shooter pattern from what has been in the media. He made some YouTube videos which show some typical symptoms. James Holmes may be different. There was so much planning and few visible symptoms. In either case, the "shrinks" as you say have a lot more information to go on than we do. And how does anyone really predict what anyone else will do, with 100% accuracy?
of course, I'm not really saying that I'm an expert on the matter but would rather question the methodology of what shrinks could categorize as genuine schizophrenia or merely faking it. from what I have seen so far since temporary insanity plea has been widely used in criminal cases so often that judges and jury have become so apprehensive on accepting such expert opinion from so-called experts. it has somehow evolved to what is now commonly known as schizophrenia. I have heard of that case where an teenage girl blew her ex-bf's head with a shotgun after she got dumped. then all of a sudden her family is claiming that she has been suffering from schizophrenia for a long time even without undergoing clinical treatment nor diagnosis. even one hired shrink in the case diagnosed her to have mild schizophrenia and prescribed a powerful sedative to keep calm which I believe is too absurd and unbelievable. and also how easy it is to claim they are hearing voices.

you are right about the common symptoms about schizophrenic patients is that they display immediate harm to themselves and to others due to such illness. it is only becomes questionable when the individual has a real purpose or valid intent/motive with pre-planning involved of harming the person of interest and not themselves.

the reason for raising this issue is that being institutionalized in mental facility is better than jail. and criminals see this as a way of exploiting the system.
08-08-2012, 09:37 AM   #37
Veteran Member

And on top of that, the notebook conveniently got there LATE. That may have been to set up a, "poor guy needed help, if only that shrink had checked her campus mail . . . "
It's not the shrink's fault. The notebook was still at the local post office. It hadn't even been sorted as yet. She notified campus police that this guy was about to blow beforehand. Considering how unlikely it is usually that any shrink will usually go there, violate patient confidentiality in that way she had to be very, very worried. I forsee the university getting sued off their arses now because of it because they reported nothing to the local police at all apparently. Told her they'd handle all that and didn't because he'd withdrawn at that point. Just a note the nazi wannabe who shot up the temple? He killed himself. That may help actually. Hopefully he'll be seen more as a coward than as a martyr because he didn't let himself get taken out.

08-08-2012, 10:30 AM   #38
Veteran Member

I don't think someone can make it to 42 and schizophrenia not be diagnosed. Granted there are different variations such as acute paranoid shizoprenic. Its possilbe that The Joker in Aurora just started manifesting the disease, but have doubts because of the intricacies in the plan and the way it interfaced with reality. This guy in Wisconsin was in the military and given his age, I doubt mental illness was the root. He was likely just evil.
hmmmm... it does seem to be that the Aurora Joker would be more like a copycat rather than someone suffering schizophrenia. if I'm not mistaken, he did seem to suffer from clinical depression which could lead to suicidal or murderous intent. but that is another thing and entirely different from schizophrenia. psychosis is certainly a wide subject, but what exactly are course of actions that is to be given to such individuals considered to be suffering from it? are they going to be released in the wild in a few years? locked up in solitary confinement? or spend their time in a vacation house? personally, I wouldn't want these clowns (fakers) in a vacation house.
08-08-2012, 11:37 AM   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
You'd think so wouldn't you. I'm astounded she managed to get elected to anything never mind actually influencing opinions

and the idiot who did the shooting likely just thought of Sikhs as Muslims (neither group deserves this of course)
Not that I don't believe that he would hate Sikhs as well as Muslims if he knew the difference, but the ideological doctrine he and his type focus on nowadays are very much about the imagined threat from Muslim religion, culture and individuals (having upgraded from hating mostly Jews to hating mostly Muslims). Then he kill people of a completely different religion! ...do we blame that on the American school system?
08-08-2012, 12:29 PM   #40
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Douglas_of_Sweden Quote
Not that I don't believe that he would hate Sikhs as well as Muslims if he knew the difference, but the ideological doctrine he and his type focus on nowadays are very much about the imagined threat from Muslim religion, culture and individuals (having upgraded from hating mostly Jews to hating mostly Muslims). Then he kill people of a completely different religion! ...do we blame that on the American school system?
Not really to the part highlighted. In Public school, religion been talked about as much the past 30 years. The U.S.A. is very diverse religiously speaking as well as culturally. However, there is always the ignorant and many denominations have an extreme side to them. However, I don't even know if this guy was religious and highly doubt it given his warped brand of Rock and Roll.

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
hmmmm... it does seem to be that the Aurora Joker would be more like a copycat rather than someone suffering schizophrenia. if I'm not mistaken, he did seem to suffer from clinical depression which could lead to suicidal or murderous intent. but that is another thing and entirely different from schizophrenia. psychosis is certainly a wide subject, but what exactly are course of actions that is to be given to such individuals considered to be suffering from it? are they going to be released in the wild in a few years? locked up in solitary confinement? or spend their time in a vacation house? personally, I wouldn't want these clowns (fakers) in a vacation house.
Certain forms of schizophrenia get progressively worse over time and medications are used to help many lead a quasi-normal life. Thorazine was the wonder drug for a long time. I think the meds take their toll on the patients. I hate to see people get away with faking it. There is a big difference in clinical depression and acute paranoid schizophrenia for example as well as schizo-effective disorder.

Last edited by Blue; 08-08-2012 at 12:37 PM.
08-08-2012, 12:30 PM   #41
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
It's not the shrink's fault. The notebook was still at the local post office. It hadn't even been sorted as yet. She notified campus police that this guy was about to blow beforehand. Considering how unlikely it is usually that any shrink will usually go there, violate patient confidentiality in that way she had to be very, very worried. I forsee the university getting sued off their arses now because of it because they reported nothing to the local police at all apparently. Told her they'd handle all that and didn't because he'd withdrawn at that point. Just a note the nazi wannabe who shot up the temple? He killed himself. That may help actually. Hopefully he'll be seen more as a coward than as a martyr because he didn't let himself get taken out.
I agree with you. To clarify, I think The Joker may have wanted it to get there late. Another possibility is that he may have been messing with her kind of like John Hinckley Jr. did with Jodie Foster.
08-08-2012, 09:28 PM   #42
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Douglas_of_Sweden Quote
school system? hmmmm....I would think partially so. although I would say that the Sikh shooter was more radicalized by certain people, added the fact that he was certainly ignorant. but I don't necessarily blame the school system entirely as there are other things like new civil liberties that makes the society a lot crazier as it is now. gay rights, lawsuits, divorces are going overboard. somehow, too much freedom is toxic. it does promote anarchy rather than cooperation.
08-08-2012, 10:43 PM   #43
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
school system? hmmmm....I would think partially so. although I would say that the Sikh shooter was more radicalized by certain people, added the fact that he was certainly ignorant. but I don't necessarily blame the school system entirely as there are other things like new civil liberties that makes the society a lot crazier as it is now. gay rights, lawsuits, divorces are going overboard. somehow, too much freedom is toxic. it does promote anarchy rather than cooperation.
I'd agree with that assessment for the most part although I would probably replace the word anarchy with chaos.
08-08-2012, 11:52 PM   #44
Veteran Member

I grew up with guys like that skinhead trying to date me because I look like what they think a proper white chick should look like. There's masses of them locally. Rednecks rebels, neo-Nazi's and plenty of just plain old misogynistic southern boy jerks. I won't give them the time of day. Never have.

My Dad is of an older generation and he be a bit racist sometimes though not at all like those guys. I call him on that BS all the time. Always have, always will. But that attitude it's still so prevalent that it makes me sick to my stomach sometimes. Goodness help me if I ever decided to actually date a guy who wasn't almost as pale as me because my Dad would probably have a stroke at the very idea. Otherwise he's pretty okay about it. But you don't date or marry outside your racial group so far as he's concerned. Or date someone of the same gender either.

He's very hypocritical about all that. It's fine for his kids to be friends with whomever they want, but not to date anyone they want. I'm pretty sure one of my brothers flies both ways but he'd sooner cut his throat than admit it to my father, and rightly so because my Dad would not like it one bit if he did. Don't ask, don't tell, don't screw anyone who isn't as white as you, that's my dear old Dad. He still thinks he's living in the 1950's, sigh.

But that neo-Nazi mindset, I saw way too much of that in high school, ick, and the very idea that someone would actually kill because they still believe all that shiz? That's just not something I can deal with at all.