Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-10-2012, 11:33 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Heads up on Apple OSX 10.8

Just installed Apple's latest OS "Mountain Lion" ( 10.8) and discovered I can't down load pictures directly from my computer to this site any longer . My old pictures download fine. Pictures taken today, then down loaded from the camera to my computer will not transfer to this site. Appears apple has changed the photo processing scheme from camera to computer and the new files are not compatible with this site format.

Another one of Apple's after baked developments.............

08-11-2012, 04:28 AM   #2
Banned

Photos: Albums
Do you have any third party software? Anything from a free download to a full version CS.whatever??

One can "flip" most audio media files between different programs; such as between Apple (iTunes) and MS Media Player. Technically it should also work with photographic files
08-11-2012, 07:01 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Medium FormatPro Quote
Do you have any third party software? Anything from a free download to a full version CS.whatever??

One can "flip" most audio media files between different programs; such as between Apple (iTunes) and MS Media Player. Technically it should also work with photographic files
I don't, and don't need any further complications with additional soft ware? Flickr seems unaffected by Apples latest and greatest OS, will just continue on with Flickr?
08-11-2012, 05:59 PM   #4
Banned

If you go on Apple forums and ask very nicely; maybe someone can write code for a type of update.

But the Apple forum is highly censored; if one just happens to even mention that any Apple product won't work with something else; then they very well might not even allow the posting.

08-11-2012, 11:06 PM   #5
Veteran Member

If you go on Apple forums and ask very nicely; maybe someone can write code for a type of update.

But the Apple forum is highly censored; if one just happens to even mention that any Apple product won't work with something else; then they very well might not even allow the posting.
Actually I don't find that at all - there is plenty of criticism on there, and for good reason with some of the issues (e.g. flash) !
08-11-2012, 11:53 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I do enjoy the iMac, iPod, and iPad3, but it's now turning into a love/hate relationship. This new "Mountain Lion" OS 10.8 is clunky and slow! Did Microsoft merge with Apple? Has that MS half baked feel......

Come on Apple, don't lose the focus now!
08-12-2012, 01:49 PM   #7
Banned

You are not the first person to comment on the operating system speed issue.

Unfortunatly I only see it getting worse for Apple - and even Microsoft once they "get beyond" Windows 8 - or for W7 users, also once an SP2 comes out.

Between these new operating systems and items like CS19 (oops thinking a bit into the future on that one) with a few plug ins - one will almost need 8mb or ram - or it will also run into the higher end of 4 and perhaps occassionally lock up when too many programs are opened.

08-12-2012, 09:38 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
You are not the first person to comment on the operating system speed issue.

Unfortunatly I only see it getting worse for Apple - and even Microsoft once they "get beyond" Windows 8 - or for W7 users, also once an SP2 comes out.

Between these new operating systems and items like CS19 (oops thinking a bit into the future on that one) with a few plug ins - one will almost need 8mb or ram - or it will also run into the higher end of 4 and perhaps occassionally lock up when too many programs are opened.
I put in 4mb of RAM prior to loading Mt. Lion! My iMac can't address any more than 4mb. The OS just seems to stumble along, it's not smooth! Anyhoo, all good things must end! I really enjoyed Apple.
The iPad has been great for awhile. Had several surgeries recently and the iPad saved my sanity! Now I'm all fixed up and thinking it's time to dump all the Apple gear and go back to PC. Would be cheaper for sure.......
09-16-2012, 02:10 PM   #9

Photos: Gallery
I won't go back to a PC (yet) but I don't like Apple pushing me into Mountain Lion with no manual available. I had to download a book written by some computer expert for help. Plus, I haven't downloaded the software that came with the K-5 I just purchased so I'm not sure what to expect. All that asside, I must say the photos taken with the iPhone 4s are remarkable for such a small sensor and lens.
09-16-2012, 06:44 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by WillH Quote
I put in 4mb of RAM prior to loading Mt. Lion! My iMac can't address any more than 4mb. The OS just seems to stumble along, it's not smooth!
I haven't 'upgraded to 10.8 yet (waiting for Apple to sort out the inevitable bugs that come with every new OS release - be it Apple, MS or Linux) but I can tell you that when I went from 4GB to 16GB a month ago (iMac i5 2.5ghz) the processing speed for Aperture 3 went through the roof. What had before felt like watching paint dry now responds in real time. And it's not only A3, I currently have A3, LR4, Camino (about 50 tabs), PreView, ViewNX2 and Powerpoint all open and there is no visible slow down of any part of the system or programs. It's just a pity this iMac is limited to 16GB !!
09-16-2012, 07:54 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I've upgraded to Mountain Lion, and haven't noticed any issues....

Is it possible something else has changed in your workflow?

QuoteOriginally posted by Frogfish Quote
I haven't 'upgraded to 10.8 yet (waiting for Apple to sort out the inevitable bugs that come with every new OS release - be it Apple, MS or Linux) but I can tell you that when I went from 4GB to 16GB a month ago (iMac i5 2.5ghz) the processing speed for Aperture 3 went through the roof. What had before felt like watching paint dry now responds in real time. And it's not only A3, I currently have A3, LR4, Camino (about 50 tabs), PreView, ViewNX2 and Powerpoint all open and there is no visible slow down of any part of the system or programs. It's just a pity this iMac is limited to 16GB !!

I don't know WHAT you would do with more than 16GB of RAM! Probably more appropriate to upgrade to a SSD at that point. 50 tabs seems extremely unnecessary, Powerpoint should NEVER been open, and aren't A3 and LR4 basically the same type of app?
09-16-2012, 08:37 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Buschmaster Quote
I've upgraded to Mountain Lion, and haven't noticed any issues....

Is it possible something else has changed in your workflow?
Naw, nothing has changed. Apple's whole goal is to trap every one into iTunes and iCloud! That's the entire focus. I'm not the only one experiencing issues with the latest Mt. Lion. I've read several reports of people who are as displeased as I am. I received an up grade last week to OS X 10.8.1. The clock is ticking for Apple!
09-16-2012, 08:56 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Mountain Lion upgrade has been smooth as silk for me, I'm still puzzled by the problem you are having though, how does ML affect the raw or jpegnoff your camera?
09-16-2012, 09:42 PM   #14
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Agreed; 10.8 runs smooth as silk on my Macbook from last year.

Uploading to PF from the computer works fine as well; when you say "new file", are you still talking JPG file format and files that meet the quota size for uploads?

QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
Mountain Lion upgrade has been smooth as silk for me, I'm still puzzled by the problem you are having though, how does ML affect the raw or jpegnoff your camera?
09-16-2012, 10:00 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Buschmaster Quote
I don't know WHAT you would do with more than 16GB of RAM! Probably more appropriate to upgrade to a SSD at that point. 50 tabs seems extremely unnecessary, Powerpoint should NEVER been open, and aren't A3 and LR4 basically the same type of app?
Sorry but you are not accounting for my OCD

50 tabs is well down from my 200 tabs with another few hundred stored as saved sessions I don't find 50 in the least excessive !

Powerpoint is open at the moment as I have ideas and go back to tweak an important presentation.

A3 and LR4 are very similar but I'm doing a test run on LR4 and running photos through both at the same time to see which one handles what type of shot better.

SSDs are faster (though not all agree on this making a visible difference) but the remote HD is not the bottleneck in my system. 32GB RAM is a standard in the industry for many using heavy RAM usage tools such as CAD, image manipulation and AV software.

So an unusual work session even for me, as usually PP and LR4 wouldn't be open. The rest would but I'm demonstrating to you how well this configuration handles very tough usage.