Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-13-2012, 07:31 AM   #1
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A Dose of Reality....

Sometimes we wander in our little minds....at least I do. (Maybe you have a bigger mind?) What is the meaning of life.....what is that stuff inside a Twinkie anyhow?.......why does a dog lick his......things like that, if you know what I mean?

So, being curious about such nonsense, I often ask myself just why I am addicted to this "photography thing"? I am certainly no Pro, don't do it for money or fame, and have a very difficult time rationalizing the large amount of cash I have pumped into this addiction?

Some stark facts that I face when I start asking the "why"?

*Most everyone in the world that has a phone is now a photographer...many better than me, and I have tons more gear than their tiny phone.

*People are interested in my photos.....mostly only because I am sticking them in their face and making them look!

*The joy of the hunt is often as exciting as bagging the shot.

* Bagging a nice shot can be like a heroin injection, producing euphoria that can last for hours...or longer! (I'm guessing, never done heroin.... or any other drugs, but a good shot of fine Cognac can do a pretty nice job too!)

* There is no future in this photography for me...or most I see on all these Forums....other than spending a lot of cash and time in pursuit of ......of....of ....hell, I don't know exactly?

*Sort of like sex? Also pointless, unless you are making a baby...but it just feels so damn good! Something about this photography just "feels so damn good"...doesn't it!

If you can provide more answers, I'd be interested in hearing them! I'm not particularly interested in why a dog licks his balls....but on the camera part I'd be interested.....also about those Twinkies, that's pretty good stuff in them, but what is it exactly?

One other thing.....just to note....see if this is you? Do you shoot to post here or on another Forum somewhere? Is one of your main objectives to get some decent shots to post here at PF......is it a goal for you to get something to post here? Be honest! Don't be ashamed, there is no reason to be....we all love to blow our own horn...it's completely normal and natural! I do it every day! Of course, I'm not all that normal, but you are!
Do you check back to see how many views you have had? Do you get a rush if the numbers grow? Again, not a damn thing wrong with that! Perfectly normal if you are a human...or even if you are Otis the Squirrel! He does the same thing too!

Finally.....If you do like to post and receive some admiration here or elsewhere, and most of us do, I hope you learn the "Rules". If you are a regular poster, want some feedback on your images, want some admiration, want to feel "worthy"...learn to admire the work of others...learn to post a comment in their threads....learn to give them the same little boost you get when you see "Wonderful Shot" posted in your thread...even if you know it was just mediocre.
I can post most any shot...and tell you in advance who will respond...because they know I respond to their shots....it's the sort of thing that makes friends. You want fiends, don't you? Face it.....other than yourself and those that you shove a photo in their face in the real world and beg for admiration...the only people interested are your friends here! Treat them right and you will have lots of them! I'll look at your photos! I love to look! .......you just do the same, and we'll be friends....when your back itches, I'll scratch it...and count on you to scratch mine!

Best Regards!

08-13-2012, 09:22 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I enjoy "talking" to people here on PF. I do post pictures from time to time, but I really take my pictures because I like to take pictures. My biggest critic is my wife, and also my biggest fan. It's nice to get good feedback from the forum members, but it is even better to see other people's shots and say to myself "Neat! I've got to try that!".

And you are a friend of mine, just as Otis has his Canadian ally, Pierre. Those are just plain fun. A smile when it's 30 below out there and I'm too wimpy and lazy to take a shot is worth 27 attaboys in my books. I don't spend as much on photography as others on the forum. My regular kit is my three DA lenses and my two M lenses. It seems when I look through my images that the M's take up a lot of space. It think it's mostly because I like birds and bugs, but that's just me. I envy those who have the $$$ to spend on gear, but I can live without the latest and greatest.

Your last paragraph sure sums things up. Thanks
08-13-2012, 09:49 AM   #3
Pentaxian

I often wonder why I keep taking pictures also. Everywhere I go, I have my camera out and while I have made a few bucks on occasion, I'm not a pro by any means either. I think the one thing that keeps me going is that I'm always giving people my pictures and they are always thrilled to get them even though I don't really consider them all that good. I post most of my photos on Picasa and Facebook with the intention of giving them to my friends.

I enjoy the forum and can honestly say I have learned more about photography here than all the books I have read and workshops I have attended. I post a few shots from time to time. My work schedule keeps me limited and I'm currently a few thousand shots behind in my PP from this summer, yet I'm still shooting more. Actually, I should be in Lightroom catching up but I'm here in the forum instead. Go figure.
08-13-2012, 02:30 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
What I said....."Something about this photography just "feels so damn good"...doesn't it! " I think both you guys understand this like I do.....and a little fun always fills in the gaps on a cold winter day...or any other day! I also print a lot of shots and give to people, I'm pretty sure most of them genuinely appreciate them, but whatever, I enjoy giving them!

Of course, having friends here at PF and at my Flickr site is also a lot of the joy in shooting. Who doesn't like to share back and forth with friends! It keeps us all going...even if we don't always know just why we are going?

One more thing that gives me pleasure, and hopefully others, is card printing. I send out a lot of cards, all types, from get well to congratulations and I always have just the perfect shot for the card front! Card fronts don't have to be perfect, just usable and of the right scene for the occasion and printed on good stock.

One I sent for Christmas.......but I have hundreds of card formats....all with my own shots...lots of fun to make and send! Fast and easy nothing too complicated, but they do make it more personal if you made it!

(The dotted line doesn't print...in case you were wondering! )...Shot this in front of my house, snow is a rarity in my part of Texas!
Attachment 137676

Best Regards!

Last edited by Rupert; 09-10-2015 at 08:03 AM.
08-13-2012, 10:15 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Dunno Rupert? Pretty deep question....Guess all I can offer is my history!

I just like artsy technical stuff! I've always enjoyed photography. It satisfies my artistic side, akin to early man painting on cave walls, I suppose. Photography is also technical and forces me think and learn! I'm sure most people like to explore and experiment with stuff. Well, photograph helps satisfy my desire for technical stuff.

One of the first things I bought as a kid was a camera. Still have that old Kodak camera. I took pictures all through high school. When I went to college my roommate was a photographer working on a Graphic Arts degree. I worked with him on hundreds of weddings and such. Paid the bills!

After college my work, as an Industrial Engineer, required I take pictures of many projects. I did years of OSHA related work and that put huge demands on my photographic knowledge - the artsy stuff went out the window. It was all about controlling the light and making an accurate image the actual scenes! After 20 years of industrial work I started teaching mathematics and for several years I helped students with their year book - yulp, more photography!

So here I am! Old and retired on a family ranch in the middle of no where and what keeps me happy! Yulp, photography! Recording what I see everyday! I do enjoy it and will until I'm dead! I rarely see other people, other than family, and certainly no one whose interested taking pictures. I enjoy chatting with and sharing images! I don't compete. I don't criticize. I don't care! It's the activity and connection with humanity! This is where I visit people who enjoy taking pictures. When it gets ultra critical and competitive, I'm gone! This is an activity I enjoy, it's not supposed to be work! When I start "working" at this forum deal - I will leave! I like viewing other photographers images and enjoy the connection, and will never criticize them. Never! I don't have that right, and I also think it's rude! Helping is one thing.....criticizing for the sake of ego is totally different.

I'm here to enjoy photography! Chatting and sharing pictures is the whole idea, IMO. Rupert, it's too late for me to change the course of world events so I'm just here to enjoy photography. I can't lick my balls either!

Last edited by WillH; 08-14-2012 at 05:28 AM.
08-14-2012, 01:39 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
one word, "Hobby"
08-14-2012, 03:40 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Clicker Quote
one word, "Hobby"
Yes, a hobby where camera types are referred to as "enthusiasts"! Such as; XYZ camera is an enthusiasts level camera. Whatever level that is......

hobby |ˈhäbē| noun
an activity done regularly in one's leisure time for pleasure

enthusiast |enˈTHo͞ozēˌast| noun
a person who is highly interested in a particular activity or subject:

I sorta think these: fan, devotee, aficionado, lover, admirer, follower; expert, connoisseur, authority, pundit; buff, bum, freak, fanatic, nut, fiend, addict, maniac; geek, eager beaver.
08-14-2012, 04:20 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I've been doing artsy fartsy shiz as my Dad calls it practically since I learned to walk. I'm never happier then when I have some art or writing or craft project going on and what I do with my camera is just more of that. I breathe to create. If I can't you might as well shoot me dead and get it over with because I will drive you crazy whining and crying till I am dead. I think the art thing is why I never particularly felt the urge to have kids of my own. I'm just too darned busy creating stuff to have to worry about raising kids. Well, that and all the minding of other people's kids that I did growing up. After a few hundred thousand diapers the parental urge can fade away and leave you sometimes forever. I love the kids in my family and I'm proud of the kids that I sat. Most of them turned out to be pretty great people but I'm not about to trade my art projects for making babies. Not at this point. Got cats, got a pooch in the house, same difference really. It's like having 3 perpetual toddlers in the house.

I've always done things like drawing, painting, sculpting, beading. I was making some of my own clothes before I knew how to sew. I never could draw or paint well enough to suit me but I'm pretty good at most other art related things. I'm currently exploring casting so I can make doll shoes out of clear and colored transparent resin and resin cabochons with found objects for my jewelry making something I've always wanted learn to do. I've also been working with metal clays and making my own stamps. Eventually I may just incorporate my photography into that too. I've already used some of my photos to make collage pins and pendants, as a basis for making my own artwork based cards. I've sold that stuff online and during street fairs and not done too bad.

Picking up a camera for the first time that was extremely liberating for me. It was the first time that I could take what I was imagining in my head and really get to that end result. It unlocked doors of creativity I never knew I had. Freed me from having to draw well or to paint to make an image happen. Illustrator and Photoshop kind of did that too. For the first time I was able to escape my limitations as an artist to create something that was far better than I could produce with a pencil or paints. I was able to express my fascination with faces in a whole new way. My collage work and my jewelry making they changed forever and I mean that in a very good way.

Photography is only part of it with me but it's a very important part. I'm playing with it but I'm not just playing. This is what I wanted to do for a living and finally, I am. I'm very happy with that. It's just such a joy after spending so much of my life not doing that. In boring sales/management jobs where being creative usually wasn't encouraged much. I can't go back. I feel like my photography let me out of a dark dismal cage and it's just awesome.

08-14-2012, 04:34 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Surely Otis would be devastated if you gave up photography, and that's surely a reason to carry on.
08-14-2012, 08:34 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jva59 Quote
Surely Otis would be devastated if you gave up photography, and that's surely a reason to carry on.
He'd be pleased if he could replace me with a "real photographer"....and he never misses an opportunity to let me know that!

I like reading what you guys have had to say here.....can't really say that anyone has totally answered the question "why", but we've danced around it enough to agree that we do love it, for whatever reasons, or lack of reasons. Everyone has their own joy, and whatever we call it....hobby, creativity, documentary, it has a pull on us that makes us "different" than those that are "outsiders" to the world we live in.
We roam our worlds looking at things others may miss.....that perfect sunset, that shaggy doggie, the little kid with ice cream dripping off their chin.....and try to capture the emotions we are feeling at the time. Sometimes we do good!

Regards!
08-14-2012, 08:58 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Sometimes we wander in our little minds....at least I do. (Maybe you have a bigger mind?) What is the meaning of life.....what is that stuff inside a Twinkie anyhow?.......why does a dog lick his......things like that, if you know what I mean?

So, being curious about such nonsense, I often ask myself just why I am addicted to this "photography thing"? I am certainly no Pro, don't do it for money or fame, and have a very difficult time rationalizing the large amount of cash I have pumped into this addiction?

Some stark facts that I face when I start asking the "why"?

*Most everyone in the world that has a phone is now a photographer...many better than me, and I have tons more gear than their tiny phone.

*People are interested in my photos.....mostly only because I am sticking them in their face and making them look!

*The joy of the hunt is often as exciting as bagging the shot.

* Bagging a nice shot can be like a heroin injection, producing euphoria that can last for hours...or longer! (I'm guessing, never done heroin.... or any other drugs, but a good shot of fine Cognac can do a pretty nice job too!)

* There is no future in this photography for me...or most I see on all these Forums....other than spending a lot of cash and time in pursuit of ......of....of ....hell, I don't know exactly?

*Sort of like sex? Also pointless, unless you are making a baby...but it just feels so damn good! Something about this photography just "feels so damn good"...doesn't it!

If you can provide more answers, I'd be interested in hearing them! I'm not particularly interested in why a dog licks his balls....but on the camera part I'd be interested.....also about those Twinkies, that's pretty good stuff in them, but what is it exactly?

One other thing.....just to note....see if this is you? Do you shoot to post here or on another Forum somewhere? Is one of your main objectives to get some decent shots to post here at PF......is it a goal for you to get something to post here? Be honest! Don't be ashamed, there is no reason to be....we all love to blow our own horn...it's completely normal and natural! I do it every day! Of course, I'm not all that normal, but you are!
Do you check back to see how many views you have had? Do you get a rush if the numbers grow? Again, not a damn thing wrong with that! Perfectly normal if you are a human...or even if you are Otis the Squirrel! He does the same thing too!

Finally.....If you do like to post and receive some admiration here or elsewhere, and most of us do, I hope you learn the "Rules". If you are a regular poster, want some feedback on your images, want some admiration, want to feel "worthy"...learn to admire the work of others...learn to post a comment in their threads....learn to give them the same little boost you get when you see "Wonderful Shot" posted in your thread...even if you know it was just mediocre.
I can post most any shot...and tell you in advance who will respond...because they know I respond to their shots....it's the sort of thing that makes friends. You want fiends, don't you? Face it.....other than yourself and those that you shove a photo in their face in the real world and beg for admiration...the only people interested are your friends here! Treat them right and you will have lots of them! I'll look at your photos! I love to look! .......you just do the same, and we'll be friends....when your back itches, I'll scratch it...and count on you to scratch mine!

Best Regards!

I shoot because of the challenge. I have always been thirsty for knowledge, and to that end, I read a lot, everyday, on every topic. A lot of things interests me. I could spend on average 2-4 hours a day reading news, or a subject of interest. Unfortunately, I am a jack of all trade. And most of the stuff I am interested in, wont make me an expert in that field.

I then stumbled into photography, and while I am a long way from being an expert, its the only one where I feel I can see the sky. I think I can get there - so I shoot. Its probably deceiving, but, there is the sky. I wanna be there. So i shoot again.

I dont shoot to post here...but when I do have a good picture, I post here to get some opinions. Its a very tough crowd here :
1. Most people are not into portraits. a quick browse through the 2 photo post section yields 99% landscape, snapshot, flower macro or still shot of an item. Then you get portraits or glamour for the other 1%.
2. Most people comment their friend's pictures, as you pointed out. Nothing wrong with that.

So..I post here - and because of those two things, when people comment on my pictures - I hope thats because they really, really, really like my pictures. Or they really, really, hate it, and think they can help me out.
I like having friends - but I also want to reach the sky, sometimes its difficult to balance the two....I dont comment on a picture because it happens to be someone I know. I comment on them because I presume the person wants to reach the sky too - and so I let them know if I feel that this is the correct path.
08-14-2012, 10:18 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Why? Because I like to take pictures. I've loved taking pictures since I was a kid. It just is who I am and what I do. Maybe too simple of an answer but I can't think of a better one.

There are other things I like to do also. I hike and climb mountains. Go on motorcycle trips. Run my kayaks down rivers. I take pictures everywhere I go. I have this crazy idea in my head to find the real "middle of nowhere" people refer to and take pictures of it but that's another issue for another day.....
08-15-2012, 08:58 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by D4rknezz Quote
Most people are not into portraits
Maybe so, but I think everyone loves a good portrait shot...or a good people shot of most any type. Shooting people is the most rewarding of all shooting to me. It connects you to another being...it calls for you to reach into their soul and pull out a little of their inner being, really, it is like working some Magic if you can pull it off. I do pull it off at times, and it beats any other type of shooting I do....well, except for shooting Otis,of course!

Case in point....I took this girl, a cashier at a Convenience Store that had never modeled, never been before lights and a camera......
At the first session (my first session at studio shooting too!) she brought a book on modeling poses....was all excited that she was there, and became a natural almost instantly.

Shy Shelby
[IMG] [/IMG]

...and pulled out this girl. I watched as her little mousy appearance and shy personality grew more self assured and confident with each session. From a shy little mouse...to an extroverted beauty. It all came from the camera......if that is not rewarding to a shooter, nothing on earth is!

Shy No More!
[IMG] [/IMG]

[IMG] [/IMG]

[IMG] [/IMG]

[IMG] [/IMG]

[IMG] [/IMG]

And we had fun with every shot!...and still do!
[IMG] [/IMG]

Shelby - a set on Flickr

So, portrait shooting can have its own rewards, just like landscapes or nature/wildlife.....and maybe even moreso, if you enjoy people!

Best Regards!
08-15-2012, 09:41 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Picture #2 of the studio shots is a winner. Looks like art, has an oil painting quality to the colours and details.
08-15-2012, 11:43 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Great portraitures Rupert! I like that you use color! Seems many use B & W these days for portraits, and in some cases they are wonderful too. I still enjoy a bit of color!