Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
08-16-2012, 02:10 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The screwed generation?

Why The Screwed Generation Is Turning To Paul Ryan - The Daily Beast

Interesting article... but as a dregs-o-the-boomer, I don't think the screwed generation started in '65...

QuoteQuote:
We hear incessantly about how members of today’s screwed generation face the prospect of less prosperous lives than those lived by their parents. But the maiden generation to stare down that gloomy prognosis was Generation X, the tiny slice of America born between about 1965 and 1980. (Ryan was born in 1970.) We were the first generation to be told we would never get Social Security or Medicare even though we would be forced to pay into these programs.
Us dregs heard that too - I distinctly remember while in college and early in my careeer talking about Social Security and Medicare being unreliable for us. As in Not There When We Get Old.

Also, it was far from certain that a majority of us would be more prosperous than our parents - we had the big hump of people just older than us who were ahead of us on the corporate ladders, for example, and who had benefitted from a housing boom, now in the doldrums due to 16% mortgages...

QuoteQuote:
When many X-ers graduated from college, stocking shelves at the Gap was considered a career choice, as jobs were few and far between amidst a major economic downturn. I won’t bore you with the horror show of the low-paying and miserable jobs I had for the first three years after college.
It was the same back then. Many scientific areas were looking glum with the Reagan cuts... jobs were more plentiful than later on, but still getting that foot in the door was as difficult as it ever was.

QuoteQuote:
Unfortunately, the future looks as bleak for today’s young people. No amount of coddling by their well-provided-for Boomer parents can save Generation Y and the Millennials from the dire economic conditions they face, including criminal levels of educational debt. Pensions have gone the way of the horse and buggy. You want to retire with health-care benefits, as both my professor parents did? Good luck. As the 1994 movie turned Gen-X mantra has it: Reality Bites.
My cohort watched as our benefits were gradually but inevitably reduced, became more costly, and more parsimonious, especially in retirement.

And yea, I don't like the tone set by Mitt and co when they keep repeating NO ONE UNDER 55 WILL FACE CUTS. That doesn't feel right to me - I mean, sure I want the best deal, but not at the expense of my children.

08-16-2012, 03:03 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
I mean, sure I want the best deal, but not at the expense of my children.

Which is why he is toast.. that is the problem of trying to treat "us" as employees.. We actually don't have to accept it............

businesspeople make terrible presidents............
08-16-2012, 03:05 PM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ryan's the utter irrationality of those people our age who still think there's some reason they came out 'ahead' that doesn't have to do with privilege.

There was always this memeplex at the time that we were all slackers or something: fact is, when our time came, all the high expectations placed upon us, (even if they weren't also pounding on us for being queer) simply had nothing to do with the fact that the same people who were in power *then* are only just starting to get too old to stay in power *now.* (While replacing themselves with people who can't say anything more sophisticated than what's on a bumpersticker, and even *that* isn't true.)

These cons and bullies and Young Republicans were blaming 'my generation' for not being 'motivated,' all along. But hey, I went from Ivy League to state U (that theyy also gutted right out from under us, ...to battered pariah on the *street* *so quick,* they think no one our age *noticed* just how screwed-up it all was.

They didn't even *believe* us about the Boston archdiocese for how long? Ten, fifteen, twenty years? How long is that.... To a 'generation?'

To a human life?

Yknow?
08-16-2012, 04:31 PM   #4
Banned

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
They didn't even *believe* us about the Boston archdiocese for how long? Ten, fifteen, twenty years? How long is that.... To a 'generation?'
Would really like to see someone take the stand in professional media; and draw a comparison & contrast between the events that I'm quoting - by the Catholic church and also the events that happened in Penn State. Yet they were handled completely diffently once discovered. Almost like a majority of those involved in the church incident were left off of the hook

08-16-2012, 05:03 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Medium FormatPro Quote
Would really like to see someone take the stand in professional media; and draw a comparison & contrast between the events that I'm quoting - by the Catholic church and also the events that happened in Penn State. Yet they were handled completely diffently once discovered. Almost like a majority of those involved in the church incident were left off of the hook
The only difference is the timing. The football cult got away with the same things longer. Same damn thing, though.
08-16-2012, 05:09 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Medium FormatPro Quote
The only difference is the timing. The football cult got away with the same things longer. Same damn thing, though.

Yaknow. And now an organization that's spent millions denying hate crimes exist, ....finally seem to have an instance of someone queer shooting back, and suddenly claim it's 'anti-Chriastian hate crime....'

Kinda venting, but this song's from the *early* 80s and no one got shot over the hate and violence we lived with, since the iconic 'Give Guns To The Queers!' since these haters were all worried about if they had the right color little piping in their 'sweats bi ebe.'

The fact is I'm hearing the same people who were whining not two weeks ago how 'Bullying is protected religious speech, abuse is good for you, it'll toughen you up.' ...now looking for an excuse to further escalate. (and suddenly believe in 'hate crime' that the very organization they defend has spent years and millions and millions to say doesn't exist...)

What if it did? Make us tougher, you know?

Took the piss right outta me (eight years) before I even *kissed* a girl, never mind lost my home and family six times over now. Over *this.* You know?

Not what I want, but, baby, bon appetit.

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 08-16-2012 at 05:25 PM.
08-16-2012, 06:25 PM   #7
Veteran Member

By most people's standards I did everything right. I started working very young. I developed a sound work ethic and worked my arse off for years for people. Never was late, hardly ever took a sick day, did everything I could to make myself indispensable. I even went back to school to get a degree to better myself. What did it get me? A mountain of debt. That's it. I'm not counting on social security. I know better. But I'm not planning on retiring either. I plan on working as a photographer/craftsperson and as a writer until I close my eyes for the last time. I may never be rich, but at least I'm my own boss finally and there is a lot to be said for that.

08-17-2012, 06:26 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I do realize this is a sign of incipient old age... ...but I'll indulge in some reminiscing about the 70s and early 80s....

Back in the 70s a popular prediction about the future was that leisure time and social benefits would expand in the future; the assumption was that the benefits from increased productivity would accrue more evenly across society than it in fact has turned out.

The 70s was also when certain scientific predictions first came out - global warming was one such. What happened is this topic went under ground during the Reagan years... and later was brought out as a new idea, much later. I'm thinking there are a few other examples I've noticed over the years, but my aging memory is not what it used to be

The 70s also brought, for the first time I think, plentiful stuff. That is, the mass consumer market of the 50s was entering its last phase - and last phases as usual bring some strange things. Detroit cars were schlocky - Chevette, Vega, Mustang, Pinto, Hornet... I recall shopping for a used car in '82 in Salt Lake City, the lots were full of Chevettes, and ALL of them had water in the spedometer.

The Great Society changes - and Civil Rights - were being felt also. There was more on TV. Unions were at their most powerful. Even most Republicans were leftists, by today's standards. The Viet Nam war ended, removing a Cause. Nixon had his Watergate. The general opinion of government changed some - and this change is still felt in conservative politics today.

Reagan swept in, made the pendulum swing, or rode the pendulum swing....
08-17-2012, 09:33 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
By most people's standards I did everything right. I started working very young. I developed a sound work ethic and worked my arse off for years for people. Never was late, hardly ever took a sick day, did everything I could to make myself indispensable. I even went back to school to get a degree to better myself. What did it get me? A mountain of debt. That's it. I'm not counting on social security. I know better. But I'm not planning on retiring either. I plan on working as a photographer/craftsperson and as a writer until I close my eyes for the last time. I may never be rich, but at least I'm my own boss finally and there is a lot to be said for that.
Just think about how more "free" you would be if you didn't have to worry about healthcare or retirement....I feel sorry for you, only because you have seemed to given up........... everyone for themselves..
A "model" of what society...................???????

Just think if our "soldiers" felt this way.. Of course it would make wars much more comical............ it is "We the people" not "I"....

We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.
08-17-2012, 11:09 AM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

To those who refer to themselves as the "Screwed Generation", I would suggest a name change to the "Cry Baby Generation". Every generation has had it's share of trouble, what distinguishes one from the other is how they dealt with that trouble. You want to talk about a screwed generation, take a look at those who were in their 50's and 60's when the depression hit. I not only see, but hear from many others that the current generation should be labeled the "Me Generation" because many of them expect everything to be handed to them without any sacrifice on their part. I may be an old curmudgeon, but I can remember talk as far back as the early 70's of concern for Social Security's solvency, and I can remember Walter Reuther trying to get people interested in a national health care in the 60's. The funny thing about the health care thing was GM, Ford and Chrysler fought against it tooth and nail until their legacy health care costs for retirees became an albatross around their collective necks, at which point they changed their tune.

Last edited by Tom S.; 08-17-2012 at 01:05 PM.
08-17-2012, 11:39 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
To those who refer to themselves as the "Screwed Generation", I would suggest a name change to the "Cry Baby Generation". Every generation has had it's share of trouble, what distinguishes one form the other is how they dealt with that trouble. You want to talk about a screwed generation, take a look at those who were in their 50's and 60's when the depression hit. I not only see, but hear from many others that the current generation should be labeled the "Me Generation" because many of them expect everything to be handed to them without any sacrifice on their part. I may be an old curmudgeon, but I can remember talk as far back as the early 70's of concern for Social Security's solvency, and I can remember Walter Reuther trying to get people interested in a national health care in the 60's. The funny thing about the health care thing was GM, Ford and Chrysler fought against it tooth and nail until their legacy health care costs for retirees became an albatross around their collective necks, at which point they changed their tune.
We can agree on a lot when there is no gun involved.

There is a lot we need to improve but crying about how badly one generation has it over the last gets us no where. For example, we have a serious problem paying for health care. A generation or two ago, there was much less health care to pay for. In my father's family in rural America, only 3 of the five kids made it to age 2.
08-18-2012, 07:35 PM   #12
Site Supporter

I'm pretty sure that SS will not be there for me. Sure, right now I make a little over 50K per year, and I am 35 years old. That's why I have 21.5% of my income set back for retirement and investments. I don't plan on SS being there when I am old, so I am taking action myself. Yep, I believe I am screwed, but there's not much I can do about it than take steps to protect myself!
08-18-2012, 10:50 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
I'm pretty sure that SS will not be there for me. Sure, right now I make a little over 50K per year, and I am 35 years old. That's why I have 21.5% of my income set back for retirement and investments. I don't plan on SS being there when I am old, so I am taking action myself. Yep, I believe I am screwed, but there's not much I can do about it than take steps to protect myself!
Maybe you should rename yourself "VoiceOfSurrender".................
Gee nothing I can do about that there tea tax......
to put it in a historical context .. at one time we had the "triad".. 1 part priv. savings.. 1 part corp pensions 1 part Soc. sec..and it was good..

for some of us young old timers this is perfectly reasonable.. some corp profits going to you, some gov. gifts going to you, savings of your own.

The bottom line was.. more free flowing money in th economy STIMULATING jobs and growth.. Your screwed-ness only spirals the economy down, until you won't even be able to save for yourself (well lets just say the majority and leave it at that)..

Sad, more myoptic "me generation" thinking.........

BTW: If you realize the gov portion is no skin off the nose of gov. your position looks even sillier..
Of course your indentured slavery to the Oligarchs sure does help them..........

Last edited by jeffkrol; 08-18-2012 at 10:56 PM.
08-19-2012, 04:37 AM - 1 Like   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
To those who refer to themselves as the "Screwed Generation", I would suggest a name change to the "Cry Baby Generation". Every generation has had it's share of trouble, what distinguishes one from the other is how they dealt with that trouble.
Previous generations have lived through a time of great prosperity. After WWII, America became the technological leader of the world. Things like personal automobiles became more widespread, television was invented, the computer was invented and eventually entered most homes, the internet was invented, etc. Since then the rest of the world had been catching up (meaning other countries are innovating). I find it unlikely that we will ever see as many large, economic shifting, innovations in such a small period of time (once the easier stuff is done, the hard stuff is left). I also find it unlikely we will see a period of time that is as prosperous (other countries have joined in on the game).

The most prosperous generation spent their money on fancy cars, boats, large houses, and in doing so left us with their retirement obligations and the fear that the same social programs they are depending on will will not be around when I retire. So, I have to fun my parents retirement (both directly and through social security and medicare), as well as my own. All of this is occurring while facing bleak job prospects coming out of school (because of the greed of the previous generation), and looking at jobs that pay less than they did 30 years ago. And lets not begin to talk about student loan debt that will have to be repaid. My beef is that the previous generation had the ability to fund themselves, yet they did not.

I think the "Screwed Generation" fits. You can also call us the "Cry Baby Generation" if you would like; but remember that we have very legitimate reasons to cry (reasons that were outside of our control). I will deal with the circumstances I have been handed, but please don't start with the "Me Generation" stuff. I do not need any handouts (and have not received any). All I want is for the previous generation, the most prosperous generation, to pay for their own stuff.
08-19-2012, 05:14 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kswier Quote
Previous generations have lived through a time of great prosperity. After WWII, America became the technological leader of the world. Things like personal automobiles became more widespread, television was invented, the computer was invented and eventually entered most homes, the internet was invented, etc. Since then the rest of the world had been catching up (meaning other countries are innovating). I find it unlikely that we will ever see as many large, economic shifting, innovations in such a small period of time (once the easier stuff is done, the hard stuff is left). I also find it unlikely we will see a period of time that is as prosperous (other countries have joined in on the game).

The most prosperous generation spent their money on fancy cars, boats, large houses, and in doing so left us with their retirement obligations and the fear that the same social programs they are depending on will will not be around when I retire. So, I have to fun my parents retirement (both directly and through social security and medicare), as well as my own. All of this is occurring while facing bleak job prospects coming out of school (because of the greed of the previous generation), and looking at jobs that pay less than they did 30 years ago. And lets not begin to talk about student loan debt that will have to be repaid. My beef is that the previous generation had the ability to fund themselves, yet they did not.

I think the "Screwed Generation" fits. You can also call us the "Cry Baby Generation" if you would like; but remember that we have very legitimate reasons to cry (reasons that were outside of our control). I will deal with the circumstances I have been handed, but please don't start with the "Me Generation" stuff. I do not need any handouts (and have not received any). All I want is for the previous generation, the most prosperous generation, to pay for their own stuff.
Do some research and you will find we did fund it. That is until members of our government decided to raid the fund for other purposes. After serving an apprenticeship and getting a college education, I had a job that with the copious amounts of overtime I worked, made it possible for me to pay off the maximum social security amount each year for most of the years I worked. Note the overtime statement. I worked as many as 70 hours a week when it was available. If I had been allowed to invest the money I and my employer paid into SS in a 401k, I would be getting far more money today than what I get in SS benefits.

I see the "Screwed Generation" buying new cars and nice houses, and spending their money on gadgets, knowing that SS may not be around when they get old enough, yet they do nothing about it. By that I mean they don't contribute to a 401k (because they've spent their money on non-essentials), nor do they get involved politically. In our early years, we drove used cars, bought used or cheap furniture and didn't use credit cards to buy things because we wanted them. I went through a 70 day strike and 9 months of lay off without missing a payment or even paying a bill late, all with a wife and child to provide for.

I've also seen members of your generation at work and have found in an alarming number of cases their work ethic is sadly lacking.