Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-18-2012, 02:36 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Atlanta, Pentax, and B&M stores

The only portion of the rationale for Pentax's announced Maximum Assured Pricing scheme back earlier this year that made ANY sense whatsoever was their claim that it would stabilize their presence in B&M stores and allow them a level playing field to try to expand into more B&M stores. The part about Target was a joke then and has continued to be proven a joke with a limited introduction of the K-30 but in ONLINE ONLY through Target for more than you can get it online elsewhere already.

So, in an effort to be a good Pentaxian and to see what a B&M store would have to offer over Adorama, B&H, and Amazon I went in search of B&M photo places in Metro Atlanta. Atlanta is a fairly large city with a population of 5-6 million. At present I have been able to find 3 B&M stores total in the metro area that handle retail sales to the public of cameras and their equipment and not merely a couple bodies, a tripod or two, and processing. One of those three essentially does only used equipment and while nice is not a potential source for shelf space for new Pentax offerings. KEH, while here, does not count for two reasons - they do not do new and they do not have a showroom and discourage in-person pick-up.

The K-30 Tour was expanded to Atlanta because of my comments here and others piping in with how the Southeast was overlooked by Pentax USA. They heard us and responded, which is terrific. I made a serious effort to go to the Tour at the Grand Hyatt because I commented and they responded and I am very glad that I did. Ken was great and the access to the cameras and lenses was fantastic.

As a result of that event I got a $100 off a K-30 coupon that expires 8/21 and is good at only Showcase Photo & Video well inside the perimeter. I finally had the time to make the trip down this afternoon. I was fortunate enough to be served by the General Manager, John Williams, when I visited today. The Pentax K-30s were in a case, off to the side, with no signage. He and I chatted for a while, I indicated I had attended the Tour event, and he took me to them and opened one up for me to handle. None of the 3 boxes had been opened. They had the K-30 in black for all three kits (18-55, 18-55 + 50-200, and 18-55 + 55-300) and that is all. John said he was an old Pentaxian and told me about using them on the DMZ back in the K1000 days with 1000mm lenses. We had a good chat and I answered many questions about modern Pentax cameras that he seemed surprised by. I asked him point blank if there is another dSLR from anyone that is WR in the mid-level range (or entry level) and he said no. I asked if he had it in Blue and again, no. I told him how encouraged I was that they were dipping their toe into the Pentax pool and that I hoped that the K-30 was a breakthrough camera for Pentax because its got great features for a very reasonable price. He said he'd check and see what kind of deal he could do for me on a K-30 Blue body only.

I appreciated all of John's time this afternoon. I hope he understands that I am a serious customer and that if they start to support Pentax and can compete, or even be in the ballpark, with Adorama, B&H, and Amazon he'll gain a customer who'll spread the word. I would encourage other Atlanta/North Georgia Pentaxians to stop by, ask for John Williams, and talk Pentax with him.

08-18-2012, 02:58 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Cool!

As for Pentax at Target, here in Orlando, my Target, at Winter Garden Village, carries the Optio WG-1, so at least it's a start in the B&M space. The camera stores here, have a ways to go until they warm to Pentax.

Colonial Photo and Hobby and Harmons are the two main stores in Orlando. Marshalls over in Auburndale is another.

As a loyal customer who buys lots of stuff in their stores, I think they realize that I could buy even more if they carried "my brand".

However, this time around concerning the K30, I still had to go online. Pentax USA was cool enough to work that $100 voucher for me - even though Florida wasn't on their list for the K30 roadshow.

A $750 body price with free shippping is a great deal for a new mid-priced DSLR with the features that the K30 has.

Again, when it comes to "Putting my money where my mouth is". When Pentax makes a camera and not a "Design Toy", I'm "in".

I should have a new K30 by Tuesday, and it's going into my husband's hands!
08-19-2012, 05:51 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
It was great of Pentax to honor the Tour price for you. I'm looking forward to what John ends up being able to do for me on price. The store is smaller than I expected, but was pretty busy. John did say, as we chatted, that he felt an obligation "as the only game left in town" to try to support different lines. We shall see.
08-20-2012, 02:04 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Cheers to Showcase!

I've been well treated there, and as you note they do know about Pentax. Some time ago I went in with my 645n to buy the Nikon eyecup which will fit it, the guy I dealt with knew and appreciated the 645n (he'd owned one) and Pentax in general. He said that they had carried Pentax in the past, but the sales rep stopped coming by and they dropped the line.

I dropped by Saturday for a lcd protector from my K-5, the guy I talked with showed me what they had but said he wouldn't buy the possible fit they had. I thanked him for his candor.

Maybe the presence of the K-30 will usher in a B & M presence in the Hotlanta area, I hope so.

Wolf camera is in financial trouble. When my K-10 was new they did carry Pentax, but no longer. I've always found Showcase to be a friendlier place, maybe the Wolf staff is demoralized by the money problem.

Wings Camera is, as noted, primarily used gear. The folk are knowledgeable and friendly.

08-24-2012, 08:56 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Wolf & Ritz were carrying the K20d and K200d when they came out but mainly at the super store in Atlanta. Stores away from Atlanta got a very very limited number of them. Rumor is that 1 one of the now 2 defunct stores in Tallahassee actually had a K20d. However, I think it is Urban Legend.
08-24-2012, 09:10 AM   #6

That is great that Showcase might be open to stocking a few Pentax items. I have two gift cards for Showcase, but have been thinking of trying to sell them as there aren't any accessories that I currently need and, until these K30s, didn't stock anything Pentax. Maybe I will swing by after work one day to take a look at the K30 and mention my interest in them carrying additional Pentax gear.
08-24-2012, 09:29 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Scottie137 Quote
That is great that Showcase might be open to stocking a few Pentax items. I have two gift cards for Showcase, but have been thinking of trying to sell them as there aren't any accessories that I currently need and, until these K30s, didn't stock anything Pentax. Maybe I will swing by after work one day to take a look at the K30 and mention my interest in them carrying additional Pentax gear.
If they have the K30 it means they are now again a dealer so if there are specifics i imagine he can order them for you as well (and probably work a deal since he won't have the cost of carrying it). the more you guys go in and support them the more they will carry.
I'm glad to see options are developing for you.
to be fair if I lived in the US and I could avoid taxes Iby shipping across state lines i too would buy online as many do. I think it is the most destructive policy the government has for B&M retail. Stupid really because a thriving B&M sector provides far more employment than a thriving internet retail sector does. Given the unemployment issues in the US eliminating the ability to avoid tax could easily be sold as a job growth idea