Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-21-2012, 08:07 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
suggestions needed for Burgundy trip

Hi everyone, I know there are lots of people who travel here (and a lot of french people) Usually I have a trip pretty mapped out in advance but this time I haven't done much research. I'll be renting a place in the chablis area of burgundy (specifically near Vermenton close to Vezalay) If you know the area and have some tips on must see areas (or good vineyards to hit) It would be greatly appreciatted. If you happen to live in the area maybe we can meet for a glass of wine and bore my wife with Tog talk

Edit - I should add I get there on September 15 after a day in Paris

08-21-2012, 08:14 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
08-21-2012, 08:15 AM   #3
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Take a long straw.

Last edited by Parallax; 04-17-2020 at 11:13 AM.
08-21-2012, 08:16 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
that of course i already have on the radar

a day trip more south to dijon and beaune is on the books, and one more north to the champagne border (and cremant de bournogne area)

08-21-2012, 08:18 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Take a long straw.
heathen, you drink it straight from the bottle or put your mouth under the tap on the cask
08-21-2012, 08:22 AM   #6
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
heathen, you drink it straight from the bottle or put your mouth under the tap on the cask
I thought since you would be traveling that a little refinement and culture were in order.
08-21-2012, 08:27 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
I thought since you would be traveling that a little refinement and culture were in order.
Since i'm stuck driving a spiffy rental car instead of the hillbilly mobile full of trash and dog toys i have to live up to my reputations somehow.

08-22-2012, 09:11 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
that of course i already have on the radar

a day trip more south to dijon and beaune is on the books, and one more north to the champagne border (and cremant de bournogne area)
Yeah, Beaune and Dijon are both lovely. I went two years ago. Epernay is fun, it is like a theme town for Champagne (although the town itself is nothing special). I recommend you book ahead for a cellar tour as they mostly sold out when we were there. We managed to get a tour in Mercier, but I heartily recommend it as it was very entertaining, and cheaper than the others. There was less of the exclusivity bullshit of the other brands houses, and more of the entertainment factor.
08-22-2012, 09:27 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
thanks Jez, I'll get online and look into it. I'm not a huge fan of the haughty snobbish part of the wine business myself (though i do like a good bottle) typically when i show up in a rockabilly shirt hair greased back they treat me like a pariah lol, but funnily enough i have an excellent cellar at home done through futures. they need to learn the lesson i used to teach my sales staff that you can't prejudge based on how a person looks. I can talk the BS side with them, but usually i just present them with my business card (I'm a purchaser for the intercontinental) and tell them i am researching for future wine lists - that changes their tune pretty quick.