08-23-2012, 04:35 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
This is satirical right?

08-23-2012, 05:43 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Unfortunately, I fear not. I once heard a fellow in a crowded meeting ask "When a stock loses $5 a share, where does that $5 go?". They do walk among us, and more unfortunate, many of them vote.
08-23-2012, 06:22 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
When a stock loses $5 a share, where does that $5 go?
Isn't that a perfectly legitimate economic question? - I'm serious.
08-23-2012, 06:34 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Unfortunately, I do not think this was a satirical question, but more likely one asked in earnest. The newspaper probably published it while laughing their collective heads off. I have heard all sorts of ludicrous reasons for not having daylight saving, ranging from the dairy farmers having to get up earlier (they don't - its the same time they always get up, but the clocks are different) to the extra sun ruining the curtains...some Mothers Do 'ave 'em. These are the sort of poeople who make easy prey for shuckster Politicians such as our venerable Opposition Leader. They swallow the BS hook line and sinker...

I'm more impressed in a person from Liverpool, NY getting hold of this snippet which eminates in Albury, Aust. (small country town, roughly mid way between Melbourne and Sydney ) Where did you find this?

08-23-2012, 06:43 AM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wildman Quote
Isn't that a perfectly legitimate economic question? - I'm serious.
hmmm.. stock loses a "value" of $5 not $5..........
everything and anything is technically worthless till it is sold i.e. exchanges hands..

You buy a car for $10,000 that is it's current value.. You sell it for $5000 that is now it's current real value.. What someone is willing to pay for it.. There is no "loss" of $5000 drifting somewhere.

Reminds me of some of the people who's 401'k's were exploding during the dot com bubble and they would tell me how much it was worth.. I'd ask so you cashed it in? They would say of course not.. Then I told them technically it was worthless.. Fun to watch their expressions.....

There were a few that after the bubble burst I did want to go back to and say.. now how rich are you??......... was ironically funny to me.. like people that say "This is worth X dollars yet have never sold it to get X dollars..or would most likely never sell it for x dollars.. Though there are things that do appreciate but the general idea is X is only a guessitmate of value..

Watch pawn stars and that Hollywood auction thing to grasp "worth's" reality...
08-23-2012, 06:47 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Yes Boris , how on earth did you find that ??
It looks like an actual cutting from the Border Morning Mail.
08-23-2012, 06:51 AM   #7
Veteran Member

08-23-2012, 06:52 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wombat2go Quote
Yes Boris , how on earth did you find that ??
It looks like an actual cutting from the Border Morning Mail.
It's from here...

https://www.facebook.com/darndestthings via https://www.facebook.com/IFeakingLoveScience
08-23-2012, 06:59 AM   #9
Veteran Member

If you work editing the letters to the editor section of a paper you see dumb ass sh*t like this all the time. My guess is they just felt this was too funny not to print. A freind used to tell me some of the ones he'd get at the toronto star. they never printed them but damn they were hysterical
Sadly yes there are a lot of really dumb people out there and even more sadly they have the right to vote if they can find the polling station
08-23-2012, 07:08 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
and even more sadly they have the right to vote if they can find the polling station
and whats worse, is that as an Australian citizen (presumably) he not only has the right, but voting is compulsory!
08-23-2012, 07:11 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wizofoz Quote
and whats worse, is that as an Australian citizen (presumably) he not only has the right, but voting is compulsory!
He still has to find the voting booth, given the level of intellect behind the letter it may not be an easy task
08-23-2012, 07:13 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

we can but pray Eddie.....
08-23-2012, 11:23 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I remember hearing a member of a "fine old family" back in Virginia expound, seriously I think, about all the power you could get by harnessing the rotation of the earth. "Just put a big ol' gear on the North Pole and you're good to go!" I'll bet thought there was a physical pole of the finest steel up there just waiting for him.

I didn't have the heart to ask him where you'd stand to be stationary relative to the earth's rotation and thus able to harness "all that power" or what in H*** would happen when you'd used up the power and the planet stood still....

Lest you think that only the ignorant and unlettered are prone to this sort of crap, I remember hearing a PhD in literature pooh-pooh a Freudian interpretation of Hamlet by saying, "Its ridiculous! Shakespeare never heard of Freud!" Fortunately we in the class were able to control our amazement and no one laughed ... until the class was over.