08-23-2012, 03:22 PM - 3 Likes   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Update Number *Eleven* from my Afghan Deployment

Content removed

Last edited by Heie; 04-04-2013 at 04:48 AM. Reason: CONTENT REMOVED
08-23-2012, 04:20 PM   #2
Veteran Member

As usual, VERY interesting, & TOTALLy different from anything seen in the Press.
So...from Aus....thanks for the insight....and KEEP SAFE.
Cheers, Pickles.
08-23-2012, 04:24 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Great colors in the sunset and lightning photos! Did you modify the colors or tint at all?
08-23-2012, 04:55 PM   #4
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Excellent post Sir! I really enjoy reading your updates! I've been reading about focus stacking as well the last couple of days myself. Cool to see another example! Stay safe and if you're ever out near Reno, NV or Lake Tahoe beer's are on me...an old Sergeant!

08-23-2012, 05:01 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Thank you once again for the fascinating and interesting shots (& somber too.)
08-23-2012, 05:08 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Thank you for sharing this docu-series. Impressive, to say the least. As someone else said: different.
08-23-2012, 05:59 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Glad to hear that you are well. Thank you for your continued service.

08-23-2012, 06:25 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Fantastic shots... and what on earth is shot #14? You really are a true photographer, going to insane ends to get that shot

And RIP CPL Hicks. We thank you and him for your services.
08-23-2012, 08:10 PM   #9
Veteran Member

As of the moment, still in too much awe to practically say anything... 7 weeks' wait was worth it. Will edit/post new reply later when I get a hold of myself.

My condolences go for CPL Hicks and his family, we thank him and you and everyone in the field for doing the bigger share in keeping peace.
08-23-2012, 08:46 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Heie Quote
I will never know if I made a mistake volunteering myself to photograph the memorial for my unit because it was so extremely painful. Regardless, I am proud that I did.
In #10 you said, discipline is doing what you don't want to do when you don't want to do it. And then later you thank yourself.
So, you weren't sure you wanted to, but you did, & as a result you have a series of photos & a story that should give people pause to really think about what you all are doing over there, & what it's about -- rather than just the impersonal stuff we often see on the news.
So, you did good

Bugs, eewww.... I take it you haven't got any flypaper. But your spider shot #20 is thoroughly science-fictiony creepy. 50 tries & the baby bird (???) didn't wake up?
My dream shot is lightning over the water behind the nearby lighthouse -- but the conditions have never been right yet. Cool shot.

I enjoyed all your pictures, & the commentary that goes with them.
08-23-2012, 10:14 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Alex, glad to hear that everything is well with you. Sorry to hear that one of ours/yours has been claimed and understand the emotions that one experiences with the loss a team member, obviously more than a team member, a respected brother in arms, a son and much more. In my case it was the loss of an XO in the Tonkin Gulf way back then. Thanks for the update and new posts, an interesting series. Looking forward to the next series with the kids in them. Stay safe........Cliff
08-25-2012, 11:42 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pickles Quote
As usual, VERY interesting, & TOTALLy different from anything seen in the Press. So...from Aus....thanks for the insight....and KEEP SAFE. Cheers, Pickles.
Hey Pickles! Thanks for stopping by! As always, appreciate your comments

QuoteOriginally posted by ChooseAName Quote
Great colors in the sunset and lightning photos! Did you modify the colors or tint at all?
Thanks! And actually, they are straight RAW --> JPG conversions (save for cropping on the lightning bolt and some cloning a water drop on the lens out)....the K-5 has done wondering with colors for me

QuoteOriginally posted by SMcGuire45 Quote
Excellent post Sir! I really enjoy reading your updates! I've been reading about focus stacking as well the last couple of days myself. Cool to see another example! Stay safe and if you're ever out near Reno, NV or Lake Tahoe beer's are on me...an old Sergeant!
Much appreciated, Sargeant! (I think I finally learned what the "S" in your name is ) And whenever I finally make my way west of the Mississippi (right now the only time was to visit Fort Lost in the Woods (Leonard Wood), which - I know, I know! I need to see the real Midwest, I'll be sure to take you up on the offer

QuoteOriginally posted by mtansley Quote
Thank you once again for the fascinating and interesting shots (& somber too.)
QuoteOriginally posted by causey Quote
Thank you for sharing this docu-series. Impressive, to say the least. As someone else said: different.
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Glad to hear that you are well. Thank you for your continued service.
Thank you all, I very much appreciate it.

QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
Fantastic shots... and what on earth is shot #14? You really are a true photographer, going to insane ends to get that shot And RIP CPL Hicks. We thank you and him for your services.
Oh, lol...it's the eye of a pigeon-like bird

And thank you.

QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
As of the moment, still in too much awe to practically say anything... 7 weeks' wait was worth it. Will edit/post new reply later when I get a hold of myself. My condolences go for CPL Hicks and his family, we thank him and you and everyone in the field for doing the bigger share in keeping peace.
Thank Alizarine! Always good to see you around these forums (and DPR too!). I know everything is glorified in the event of death, but he truly was one of the best soldiers I've ever met. I think the sheer breadth (both is volume and place of origin) his memorial of people encompassed says it all...

QuoteOriginally posted by Alliecat Quote
In #10 you said, discipline is doing what you don't want to do when you don't want to do it. And then later you thank yourself. So, you weren't sure you wanted to, but you did, & as a result you have a series of photos & a story that should give people pause to really think about what you all are doing over there, & what it's about -- rather than just the impersonal stuff we often see on the news. So, you did good Bugs, eewww.... I take it you haven't got any flypaper. But your spider shot #20 is thoroughly science-fictiony creepy. 50 tries & the baby bird (???) didn't wake up? My dream shot is lightning over the water behind the nearby lighthouse -- but the conditions have never been right yet. Cool shot. I enjoyed all your pictures, & the commentary that goes with them.
Excellent connection on bridging my posts together - thank you for your impressive reading comprehension and memory

But I thought about what you said, and I think "mistake" was the wrong word to use (and I have since not been able to think of a better one). I definitely don't regret it, and I know all the soldiers that I shared these pictures with are very grateful, it's just it was so very difficult. Be far the most difficult shooting I have had to do thus far (technically as well - the sodium lights in that tent were AWFUL! - I needed to have a friend help me PP the photos because my color blindness was going crazy and try as I might, I just could not do ANYTHING about the color balance). So I think "mistake" was not the proper word choice, and I am very glad I did it.

And trust me when I say we have TONS of flypaper....it's actually pretty disgusting because we will hang 3-4 up and after a few days there's at least 200 on each strip - stand far enough back and the strip almost appears like a solid black line lol.

And good guess! It was a bird! (don't know about baby though) And it was wide awake, I just happened to catch it as it blinked

And that sounds like an unbelievable shot should the conditions ever line up for you.

QuoteOriginally posted by usn ret Quote
Alex, glad to hear that everything is well with you. Sorry to hear that one of ours/yours has been claimed and understand the emotions that one experiences with the loss a team member, obviously more than a team member, a respected brother in arms, a son and much more. In my case it was the loss of an XO in the Tonkin Gulf way back then. Thanks for the update and new posts, an interesting series. Looking forward to the next series with the kids in them. Stay safe........Cliff
Cliff, thanks for stopping by! I appreciate the empathy and understanding. I don't wish that experience on anyone, and I hope that for the rest of my military career I never have to re-experience it.

Thanks again, Cliff - always a pleasure.

Thanks all, I very much appreciate your visit and kind words.

-Heie
08-27-2012, 05:08 PM   #13
smf
Pentaxian

Condolences to you and your comrades on the loss of CPL Hicks.
Thanks again to all of you for your service.
Thanks also for posting the photos and narrative.
Respectfully, and with best wishes to you and all your comrades.