Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-23-2012, 03:38 PM   #1
Banned

Fox Sees Discussion Of Women's Rights And Education As A "Distraction"

QuoteQuote:
Fox & Friends co-host Steve Doocy claimed that President Obama is spending too much time on the campaign trail talking about "how we need more teachers. He doesn't really talk about economics." Co-hosts Gretchen Carlson and Brian Kilmeade then claimed that the Obama campaign's strategy is to distract from the economy by focusing on issues such as education, women's rights, reproductive choice, and Rep. Todd Akin's widely condemned "legitimate rape" comments.

But education is an economic issue. Indeed, the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD) has advised nations to "invest in education to beat recession." The OECD found that "[g]overnment budgets and the overall economy also reap an advantage from higher number of [college] graduates." It also found that people who drop out of school without a job "are likely to spend a long time out of work."

Furthermore, people with more education obtain higher paying jobs. An increase in education rates decreases unemployment. And investment in education helps the economy, especially during times of economic downturns.

Fox's attempts to downplay women's rights, reproductive choice, and Akin's comments are also quite problematic. Akin's rhetoric is reflected in policies being pushed by conservatives, who just this week crafted a Republican Party platform that called for a constitutional ban on abortion with no exception for rape.
Fox Sees Discussion Of Women's Rights And Education As A "Distraction" On The Campaign Trail | Blog | Media Matters for America

08-23-2012, 09:09 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well, they would, wouldn't they.
08-24-2012, 02:17 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Geez, i'm a bit scared that the most powerful country in the world (not for long ... Hello China !) is somehow ruled by uneducated moron
08-24-2012, 02:23 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hey, Romney hasn't won yet! And he's not an uneducated moron - he just banks on getting their votes

08-24-2012, 03:44 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Aren't they also trying to make abortion prohibited by the very constitution?
Another problem is that right wingers in many European countries are following the US model. The right wing over here has been getting worse and worse as well. They used to stand for conservative values, sure, but they weren't straight up anti-women, anti-foreigner, anti-education, but pro-religion (but only one, not all religions) and pro-rich people.
08-24-2012, 04:33 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ihasa Quote
And he's not an uneducated moron
well ok, it's an uneducated mormon

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Another problem is that right wingers in many European countries are following the US model.
And in the current crisis they show their lack of ability to resolve anything.
08-24-2012, 05:34 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Aren't they also trying to make abortion prohibited by the very constitution?
Another problem is that right wingers in many European countries are following the US model. The right wing over here has been getting worse and worse as well. They used to stand for conservative values, sure, but they weren't straight up anti-women, anti-foreigner, anti-education, but pro-religion (but only one, not all religions) and pro-rich people.
I can't recall any politician, judge or official spouting such blatant paranoid nonsense as this guy. But yes, the fascist streak in European politics is becoming troubling, particularly regarding immigrants and Muslims. I don't see the anti-women, anti-education, pro-religion thing so much. Certainly in the UK, the mainstream right wing government seem relatively progressive on social issues, if not economic ones.

Last edited by ihasa; 08-24-2012 at 06:08 AM.
08-24-2012, 06:34 AM   #8
Inactive Account

I don't know what the distraction about education is referring to, but I would say that the Akin thing is a dead horse. From go he has been disowned and his statement has been disavowed by everyone except for him and a few religious wackadoodles.

08-24-2012, 06:41 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mikemike Quote
I don't know what the distraction about education is referring to, but I would say that the Akin thing is a dead horse. From go he has been disowned and his statement has been disavowed by everyone except for him and a few religious wackadoodles.
REALLY????

QuoteQuote:
"At first I felt (Akin's comments) were offensive to women and insulting to my intelligence," said Lisa Payne-Naeger, a member of the conservative Missouri Grassroots Coalition, who has an online political radio show. "What changed it for me was the Republican establishment's effort to chop him off at the knees and install one of their own in the race."

Payne-Naeger said she was so angered by the "onslaught" from party leaders that she donated to Akin's campaign on Wednesday.

Nearly two dozen Missouri Republicans interviewed on Wednesday and Thursday, most in the St. Louis area, but some in other parts of the state, expressed similar views.

Akin has seized on this theme, launching a "Help Todd Fight Back Against the Party Bosses" fundraising drive that his campaign said netted $100,000 in small donations this week.
Missouri conservatives rally to Akin, blast Republican establishment | Reuters

Throwing the term "bosses" in is usually good for a few %.. (union boss, party boss)

for thought:
http://www.thenation.com/article/169512/paul-ryan-goddam?rel=emailNation#

Last edited by jeffkrol; 08-24-2012 at 07:07 AM.
08-24-2012, 07:23 AM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ihasa Quote
I can't recall any politician, judge or official spouting such blatant paranoid nonsense as this guy. But yes, the fascist streak in European politics is becoming troubling, particularly regarding immigrants and Muslims. I don't see the anti-women, anti-education, pro-religion thing so much. Certainly in the UK, the mainstream right wing government seem relatively progressive on social issues, if not economic ones.
How about this from one of your country's greatest?
Attached Images

08-24-2012, 07:50 AM   #11
Inactive Account

The simpsons, a fox show, settled this abortion issue a long time ago.

08-24-2012, 08:23 AM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by seacapt Quote
How about this from one of your country's greatest?
i guess he said that during the Malakand war or Sudan war, or after, in 1897 or 1898