Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-24-2012, 10:57 PM   #1
Forum Member

Good alternative to PayPal

For those Pentax folks selling or buying stuff through the Marketplace postings, and who hate PayPal (I know you're out there) because of the fees they charge, check out Amazon WebPay with Amazon Payments. For non-commercial private sellers and buyers, it is FREE (no usage fees).

Sellers, if you have an Amazon account, once you have registered with Amazon Payments (a simple 5 minute process going through your existing Amazon account) you can use your Amazon Payments account to receive payments from other Amazon Payments account holders, and then transfer those amounts to your bank account, just like PayPal, but free of usage fees.

Buyers, if you have an Amazon account, with a registered credit card, you can use that to pay. It is a simple 5 minute task to set up an Amazon Payments account with Amazon that piggy-backs on your regular Amazon account and uses your Amazon registered credit card to pay with. Again, if you have an Amazon account there are no fees to do this.
Amazon Payments keeps track of these transactions for you, just like PayPal. Also, through a very recent transaction, I discovered it is very easy to refund someone (in this case because they accidentally paid twice for the same item). There is no charge to do this, either. Also, I have discovered that Amazon Payments is very quick to move funds as requested into your bank account, once you have authorized and registered it with your Amazon Payments account.

I only discovered this payment method recently, through another Pentax forum member. I've used it and I highly recommend Amazon WebPay via Amazon Payments as a way to transact buy and sell activity between private, non-commercial Pentax Forums members through the forum Marketplace. Check it out. As full disclaimer, I have no relationship with Amazon other than as a happy consumer/user of its services.

fliegenfischer

08-25-2012, 05:38 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Do they offer any kind of protection though if someone rips you off?
08-25-2012, 07:59 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Protections

Tom S. I understand your concern. It is totally legitimate. I have that concern myself.

Yes, there are protections, including, but not limited to disputing and stopping the payment through your credit card company based on potential fraud (if you're smart enough to always use your Amazon registered credit card to pay with, rather than the available cash in your Amazon Payments account or withdrawing funds directly from your bank account). Remember, these transactions are only between two Amazon Payments account holders, and are done in good faith. If fraud is evident, Amazon can cancel the perpetrator's account, and there goes that avenue for them to sell by.

Frankly, since I do not work for Amazon and I simply made the suggestion that forum members check it out for themselves based on my own experience,Tom, I suggest you and anyone else who might be interested do due diligence yourself and investigate the whole Amazon Payments/Amazon WebPay system by going to the websites in question and exploring what they have to offer in the way of seller/purchaser protections. Then you can make up your own mind based on your own personal requirements. Google it. By the way, I understand that Google also has a PayPal like system available. I intend to check that out myself. Anything to give PayPal some competition.

Another not insignifican layer of protection I would cite is that offered right here through the forum feedback on buyers and sellers. I think it is a good system, as far as it goes, and I depend on it. So far it has worked for me. Remember, my suggestion to check out Amazon WebPay was only for Pentax Forum members selling and buying through the Pentax Forums Marketplace, which offers its own protections, not outside auction systems like eBay (a whole other rip-off topic). If what you find in the way of protections at Amazon WebPay and Amazon Payments doesn't work for you, then by all means, stay with PayPal. For me and how I use it, Amazon Payments works. For you and others, it may not. That is a personal decision, of course.

I do think, Tom, if you decide to follow my original suggestion and check it out for yourself, that if you could report back here on what you found vis-a-vis Amazon WebPay consumer protections versus PayPal consumer protections, and your candid observations on the differences and what they mean to you, considering your obvious interest and concerns on this topic, would be of great interest to the other Pentax Forum members. Please do report back if you choose to check it out. It would be a welcome service to the other members, I am sure. I know I would be interested in your informed opinion on this topic. It would help us all. Thanks.

Cheers,
fliegenfischer
09-06-2012, 11:02 AM   #4

merchantinc.com is a great paypal alternative. It's a real merchant account for only $8 a month. I found them after paypal limited my account because a buyer filed a dispute over an invisible scratch on a leans I sold him. You have so much more protection when you use a merchant account as a seller. Paypal claims to offer seller protection but I never got to experience any of that. With a real merchant account like Merchant Inc, your purchasers will pay you direct with their credit card. The user must have the card in hand as they will be required to verify the CVV2 number on the card, as well as the billing address and expiration date. This will significantly reduce the number of chargebacks if not eliminate them completely