Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-29-2012, 06:15 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I guess when iPhone copied some of the Android inovations and look and feel Jobs felt justified since it was a 'stolen product'. Funny that he'd go and copy it when he thought it was 'shit'.

08-29-2012, 07:09 AM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I do hope it's not this sort of reporting that anyone relies on for proof: Apple copies a bunch of features from Android, calls it iOS5 (Updated) | ZDNet
9 of his 10 "copy" claims are related to other technologies, and the remaining one establishes no clear proof. It's called trolling. In the case of a writer sensationalising nothing into something, I can at least see a concrete motive in that readership means continued employment, but it's hard to see why any thinking person would believe, let alone take up drivel like this. ZDNet is becoming the Fox Network of technology reporting.
08-29-2012, 08:10 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Never saw that article. I am a software developer and noticed first hand. I certainly didn't think there was anything wrong with it, but they did copy a lot of the best interface choices of Android. Given Steve's definition of theft, and his condemnation of Android's quality, you'd think he wouldn't copy their design.

Last edited by kenafein; 08-29-2012 at 08:26 AM.
08-29-2012, 09:11 AM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
I think there are a few contestable things in what you say. For a start, iTunes is only necessary to synchronise data, including media content, so where is the comparison with IE, which Microsoft was attempting to install as the gateway to all browsing on its products, thereby effectively locking out established web-browsers from competing against them? If you don't like iTunes, there are plenty of other applications to put on your PC to synchronise media with.

People can complain about the App Store being the only way to install applications on iOS devices, but Apple is hardly in a monopoly situation with portable media devices these days. Those who object to the "walled" approach on iOS can easily go to Android or Windows Mobile instead. Most of the content is not device-specific, the way things were when Microsoft had a virtual monopoly on desktop OSes.

Next, Apple hardly "blamed" Microsoft for anything related to IE - they even installed IE as the standard browser on OS9, for heaven's sake! Microsoft got a damned good deal from Apple at that time, including some very lucrative shareholdings in the company.

There's nothing unethical in anything you've said here. There may be robust behaviour or even bloody-mindedness, but you don't get to be a successful, profitable business by acting like a charity. By that measure, no successful company the size of Apple or Microsoft has clean hands.

I'm still waiting for some concrete examples of unethical behaviour, nonetheless. I don't doubt there'll be some, somewhere, but nothing deserving of the vilification that gets heaped on Apple because of their success. Like I said, plausible narratives and FUD.

By the way, I use both MacOS and Windows systems at home and work, so I can hardly be said to be biassed, but I do claim to have a broader experience than many who just take an Orwellian approach to these matters ("four legs good, two legs bad", until the pigs start to walk on their hind legs, that is).
Criticism of Apple Inc. - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. Here's a small list of Apple's no-nos. Personal vendettas by Jobs, Anti-competitive practices etc. To be fair, Tim Cook is turning out to be a much more compassionate leader. I'm hoping this will be a turn around for Apple. Tim Cook one year on: how's Apple doing?: Tim Cook: The nice man cometh | News | TechRadar If you are aware, Jobs suspended all charitable expenditures when he took over Apple, and even after all their success, never re-instituted them. Cook is changing that. I do hope this decision is overturned for the good of all of us, but I also look forward to a better Apple Inc.

08-29-2012, 09:14 AM   #35
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If I am buying stock today....it is Samsung over Apple......the price is down at the moment, but that will only last a moment....a 10% gain in 60 days looks good to me! Apple.......the only direction I see for them is to drift downward, they can't hold their position in the highly competitive world much longer. Looking for a gain in Apple...forget it!
08-29-2012, 11:07 AM   #36
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
If I am buying stock today....it is Samsung over Apple......the price is down at the moment, but that will only last a moment....a 10% gain in 60 days looks good to me! Apple.......the only direction I see for them is to drift downward, they can't hold their position in the highly competitive world much longer. Looking for a gain in Apple...forget it!
How long before they have to dig up Jobs and have him stuffed for him to lead a rally?
08-29-2012, 01:19 PM   #37
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
I don't think either stock would probably be worth buying right now, although Samsung is more diversified than Apple, so might have a little more staying power in the long run. Still, Samsung looks a lot like Sony did about fifteen years ago and look at where Sony is now.

08-29-2012, 03:01 PM   #38
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Resale prices of Samsung phones drop by 10% in the wake of Apple’s legal victory | Ubergizmo

QuoteQuote:
A while back we reported that as an aftermath of Samsung losing the legal battle against Apple, the company was reported to have experienced a large stock market slump. Well it seems that the stock market slump was not the only thing that went down for Samsung as according to online resale website, Gazelle, the number of people who were looking to sell off their Samsung devices jumped by a whopping 50% in the past three days, which also appears to have caused a 10% drop in prices
08-29-2012, 03:18 PM   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kenafein Quote
Criticism of Apple Inc. - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. Here's a small list of Apple's no-nos. Personal vendettas by Jobs, Anti-competitive practices etc. To be fair, Tim Cook is turning out to be a much more compassionate leader. I'm hoping this will be a turn around for Apple. Tim Cook one year on: how's Apple doing?: Tim Cook: The nice man cometh | News | TechRadar If you are aware, Jobs suspended all charitable expenditures when he took over Apple, and even after all their success, never re-instituted them. Cook is changing that. I do hope this decision is overturned for the good of all of us, but I also look forward to a better Apple Inc.
I don't quibble with any of that, but I'm still looking for a justification of the label "unethical". Smart, sharp, even brutal business tactics, like buying up supplies to starve your opponents of them can be risky things to do, financially, but they're not necessarily deserving of the approbation that leads to this. In that example, Apple's suppliers had a choice, and so did their opponents.

This is not a dissimilar story to many large companies that have undergone rapid growth. In this case, changes had to be made that were difficult for many involved, because that's what had to be done to make such a spectacular turnaround in the company's fortunes. I can hear the sneers that would have ensued if Jobs had failed, so he was on a hiding to nothing there, and chose the path that led to financial success.

I doubt I could have lived with Jobs' ego, so don't mistake me for an uncritical fan, but most of us weren't in that position, any more than we were capable of influencing what any player in this segment did. Apple came back from the dead, thanks to Jobs, his ego, and the loyalty of his team, but he was so successful that they probably don't need him anymore, either. In that respect, they're probably no different to any other large, successful company.
08-31-2012, 06:42 AM   #40
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Samsung - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I don't see where Samsung is in any way comparable to Sony or for the long run, Apple. Samsung has its fingers in a lot of pies, not just electronics, and their success is in that broad diversification. Apple could crash on one bad year of failed electronic ventures....Samsung would just go on and recover, as they quickly will on this small setback.
It is like having a Mutual Fund vs having all your marbles in one basket. If you owned all the wells in the Gulf of Mexico, you would be rich, very rich! If you owned only the Deepwater Horizon you would be out of business.

Regards!
08-31-2012, 07:40 AM   #41
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
Apple could crash on one bad year of failed electronic ventures....Samsung would just go on and recover, as they quickly will on this small setback.
Wow, you should go short aapl and make a fortune since you know people will stop buying Apple products just like that.