Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-26-2012, 02:10 PM   #1
Banned

Louisiana Gov. Jindal declares state of emergency due to Hurricane Isaac

QuoteQuote:
BATON ROUGE - Today, Governor Bobby Jindal issued the following executive proclamation declaring a state of emergency as a result of the forecasted conditions of Tropical Storm Isaac.
Gov. Jindal declares state of emergency due to Isaac - New Orleans Local News, Weather, Sports, Investigations

Last edited by jogiba; 08-28-2012 at 03:03 PM.
08-26-2012, 02:23 PM   #2
Banned

Original Poster
New Orleans area now in danger of direct hit by Isaac late Tuesday

QuoteQuote:
National Hurricane Center forecasters declared a hurricane warning for New Orleans and southeastern Louisiana, and now predict that Tropical Storm Isaac will make landfall just east of the New Orleans area, at the Louisiana-Mississippi border, as a strong Category 2 hurricane with top winds of 100 mph Wednesday morning.
New Orleans area now in danger of direct hit by Isaac late Tuesday | NOLA.com

Last edited by jogiba; 08-26-2012 at 03:59 PM.
08-26-2012, 08:09 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Realy too soon to tel what it's going to do.
Doesn't look like this storm will become a monster but good for Jindal.
Good luck to MikMike and our other Gulf coast members.

Last edited by seacapt; 08-27-2012 at 07:09 AM.
08-27-2012, 06:05 AM   #4
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by seacapt Quote
Realy too soon to tel what it's going to do.
Doesn't look like this storm will become a monster but good for Jindal.
Katrina wouldn't have been so devastating if Blanco had done the same.
Good luck to MikMike and our other Gulf coast members.
Friday, August 26 2005

GOV. KATHLEEN BLANCO DECLARES STATE OF EMERGENCY IN LOUISIANA
KATRINA TIMELINE | ThinkProgress

08-27-2012, 06:30 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
Friday, August 26 2005

Thanks for posting this. You'd think after 7 years the blame game would stop. Louisiana, Mississippi, and Alabama all issued Warnings about the same time. We ALL knew what was going to happen, every citizen on the coast. When a Cat 5 is sitting in the Gulf and is expected to move north, you leave. Camille, 30 years previously, taught everyone that. yet in both cases, folks stayed and folks died.
08-27-2012, 07:17 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
Friday, August 26 2005

I have edited my prior post. I had no intention of turning this into a PR discussion. My point was it is good that preparation is being made in a timely fashion. As a person who has lived most of my life in areas that regularly get whacked by hurricanes my thoughts and prayers go out to those in the storms path.
08-27-2012, 08:12 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Looks like an outer band spin off is currently hitting S.E Florida pretty hard with rain winds and serious flooding reported in Palm Beach and Martin County. Currently 9" of rain in Okechobee

Last edited by seacapt; 08-27-2012 at 08:22 AM.
08-27-2012, 08:36 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have edited my prior post. I had no intention of turning this into a PR discussion. My point was it is good that preparation is being made in a timely fashion. As a person who has lived most of my life in areas that regularly get whacked by hurricanes my thoughts and prayers go out to those in the storms path.
I'm hoping for the best also. We vacation in Biloxi and have friends there. There are other factors besides the "Cat #' that can determine damage as those of us in the Northeast found out last year when Irene hit as a minimal tropical storm. Stuff can be replaced.
08-27-2012, 09:18 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
There are other factors besides the "Cat #' that can determine damage as those of us in the Northeast found out last year when Irene hit as a minimal tropical storm. Stuff can be replaced.
Yup, folks have a tough with the concept of serious flooding. I was on a family vacation to Elmira in the Summer of '72
08-27-2012, 09:38 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Much appreciated

Our local weather folks are predicting a land fall near Bay St. Louis, Ms. at the moment. NOLA should get some wind and rain. Predicting 5-12 foot storm surge on the Mississippi Gulf Coast.
08-28-2012, 02:51 PM   #11
Banned

Original Poster
08-29-2012, 05:32 AM   #12
Banned

Original Poster
Tropical Storm Katrina Aug 29 2005 10pm

08-29-2012, 06:11 AM   #13
Banned

Original Poster
WunderMap Radar !

WunderMap
08-29-2012, 06:37 AM   #14
Veteran Member

WunderMap is awesome. Being a great plains inhabitant, knowing what the weather is doing can be rather important.

Here's another nifty weather tool: Wind Map
08-30-2012, 01:54 PM   #15
Inactive Account

@seacapt thanks for your concern, we faired pretty well here. I had one small piece of siding come off the back of my house and had one window that was leaky from the wind driven rain that I need to caulk but otherwise nothing too bad. About 3 bags of vegetative debris (I wish I had a compost pile because it would be very happy) and if I wasn't going to use the cypress leaves for mulch I would have another 2 yard bags of that.

Here are some before and after pics (taken with a k-x and DA 21mm):
Looking out toward the street
Before:
Name:  StreetView0.jpg
Views: 303
Size:  195.8 KB
After:
Name:  StreetView1.jpg
Views: 255
Size:  189.9 KB
No more leaves of flowers on my crepe mrytles

Side View
Before:
Attachment 139158
After:
Attachment 139159
All the plants have a little lean to them. And I really need to weed my garden but I haven't had enough time.

Driveway view
Before:
Attachment 139160
After:
Attachment 139161
I swept up the drive yesterday and this is just the rest of the stuff that had blown down during the residual wind and you can see how thinned out the trees are

My oleanders have a lean on them but I wanted to move them anyway so I will probably use this opportunity to pull them out and relocate them:
Attachment 139164

This is the side of the cypress that was getting the brunt of the wind
Attachment 139165

A young tree in the neutral ground got blown down and could probably be stood back up
Attachment 139163

There are some townhouses near me who had a nice chunk of their fence knocked down.
Attachment 139162

Power went out for a while and they are in the process of restoring it now. My brother-in-law's house has power and internet so we can chill here while we wait for the power to be restored at our home. Hurricanes have their plusses and minuses but overall it is a cathartic experience that reminds you of what is important in life; it makes you take stock of what is necessary, what has become unnecessary (I will be donating all of the things that I have identified as unnecessary), and what is irreplaceable; it provides an opportunity to bond with your friends and neighbors; and (hopefully) an opportunity to help people. In the minus column it is a minor inconvenience since you might end up bonding with those people over warm beer in candle light or needing to evacuate, and of course the worst case is that all of your stuff is destroyed (which if you have the right outlook on life and aren't attached to material possessions isn't a bad thing).

Last edited by mikemike; 01-31-2014 at 12:35 AM.