08-27-2012, 06:52 AM   #1
Banned

Isaac heads for New Orleans on 7th anniversary of Hurricane Katrina

QuoteQuote:
KATRINA TIMELINE
August 26 2005
GOV. KATHLEEN BLANCO DECLARES STATE OF EMERGENCY IN LOUISIANA

August 27 2005
GOV. BLANCO ASKS BUSH TO DECLARE FEDERAL STATE OF EMERGENCY IN LOUISIANA: “I have determined that this incident is of such severity and magnitude that effective response is beyond the capabilities of the State and affected local governments, and that supplementary Federal assistance is necessary to save lives, protect property, public health, and safety, or to lessen or avert the threat of a disaster.”

August 28 2005

9:30 AM CDT — MAYOR NAGIN ISSUES FIRST EVER MANDATORY EVACUATION OF NEW ORLEANS: “We’re facing the storm most of us have feared,” said Nagin. “This is going to be an unprecedented event.”

LOUISIANA NATIONAL GUARD REQUESTS 700 BUSES FROM FEMA FOR EVACUATIONS: FEMA sends only 100 buses.

August 29 2005
7AM CDT — KATRINA MAKES LANDFALL AS A CATEGORY 4 HURRICANE
7:30 AM CDT — BUSH ADMINISTRATION NOTIFIED OF THE LEVEE BREACH: The administration finds out that a levee in New Orleans was breached. On this day, 28 “government agencies, from local Louisiana parishes to the White House, [reported that] that New Orleans levees” were breached.
11:13 AM CDT – WHITE HOUSE CIRCULATES INTERNAL MEMO ABOUT LEVEE BREACH: “Flooding is significant throughout the region and a levee in New Orleans has reportedly been breached sending 6-8 feet of water throughout the 9th ward area of the city.”
MORNING — BUSH SHARES BIRTHDAY CAKE PHOTO-OP WITH SEN. JOHN MCCAIN

11AM CDT — BUSH VISITS ARIZONA RESORT TO PROMOTE MEDICARE DRUG BENEFIT
4:30PM CDT — BUSH TRAVELS TO CALIFORNIA SENIOR CENTER
8PM CDT — GOV. BLANCO AGAIN REQUESTS ASSISTANCE FROM BUSH: “Mr. President, we need your help. We need everything you’ve got.”
LATE PM — BUSH GOES TO BED WITHOUT ACTING ON BLANCO’S REQUESTS

August 30 2005
11AM CDT — BUSH SPEAKS ON IRAQ AT NAVAL BASE CORONADO
PENTAGON CLAIMS THERE ARE ENOUGH NATIONAL GUARD TROOPS IN REGION: “Pentagon spokesman Lawrence Di Rita said the states have adequate National Guard units to handle the hurricane needs.”
2PM CDT — PRESIDENT BUSH PLAYS GUITAR WITH COUNTRY SINGER MARK WILLIS

BUSH RETURNS TO CRAWFORD FOR FINAL NIGHT OF VACATION

August 31 2005
3,000 STRANDED AT CONVENTION CENTER WITHOUT FOOD OR WATER: “With 3,000 or more evacuees stranded at the convention center — and with no apparent contingency plan or authority to deal with them — collecting a body was no one’s priority. … Some had been at the convention center since Tuesday morning but had received no food, water or instructions.”
1:45AM CDT — FEMA REQUESTS AMBULANCES THAT DO NOT EXIST: “Almost 18 hours later, [FEMA] canceled the request for the ambulances because it turned out, as one FEMA employee put it, ‘the DOT doesn’t do ambulances.’”
11:20 AM CDT — FEMA STAFF WARNED BROWN THAT PEOPLE WERE DYING AT THE SUPERDOME: Three hours later, Brown’s press secretary wrote to colleagues complaining that Brown needed more time scheduled to eat at a restaurant: “He needs much more that (sic) 20 or 30 minutes. We now have traffic to encounter to go to and from a location of his choise (sic), followed by wait service from the restaurant staff, eating, etc. Thank you.”
PRESIDENT BUSH FINALLY ORGANIZES TASK FORCE TO COORDINATE FEDERAL RESPONSE: Bush says on Tuesday he will “fly to Washington to begin work…with a task force that will coordinate the work of 14 federal agencies involved in the relief effort.”
80,000 BELIEVED STRANDED IN NEW ORLEANS: Former Mayor Sidney Barthelemy “estimated 80,000 were trapped in the flooded city and urged President Bush to send more troops.”
BUSH SURVEYS DAMAGE FROM AIR FORCE ONE: President Bush flew over New Orleans on Air Force One. “During the 35-minute tour, Bush clearly saw from his vantage point the damage to the football stadium in New Orleans as well as the flooded neighborhoods, wiped out bridges and slabs of foundations where houses used to stand.”

CHERTOFF “EXTREMELY PLEASED WITH THE RESPONSE” OF THE GOVERNMENT: “We are extremely pleased with the response that every element of the federal government, all of our federal partners, have made to this terrible tragedy.”
8PM CDT — FEMA DIRECTOR BROWN CLAIMS SURPRISE OVER SIZE OF STORM: “I must say, this storm is much much bigger than anyone expected.”

September 1 2005
7AM CDT — BUSH CLAIMS NO ONE EXPECTED LEVEES TO BREAK: “I don’t think anybody anticipated the breach of the levees.” However, as former FEMA Director Michael Brown told CNN, “the president knew from our earlier conversations that that was one of my concerns, that the levees could actually breach.”
STILL NO COMMAND AND CONTROL ESTABLISHED: Terry Ebbert, New Orleans Homeland Security Director: “This is a national emergency. This is a national disgrace. FEMA has been here three days, yet there is no command and control. We can send massive amounts of aid to tsunami victims, but we can’t bail out the city of New Orleans.”
MICHAEL BROWN FINALLY LEARNS OF EVACUEES IN CONVENTION CENTER: “We learned about that (Thursday), so I have directed that we have all available resources to get that convention center to make sure that they have the food and water and medical care that they need.”

September 2 2005

ROVE-LED CAMPAIGN TO BLAME LOCAL OFFICIALS BEGINS: “Under the command of President Bush’s two senior political advisers, the White House rolled out a plan…to contain the political damage from the administration’s response to Hurricane Katrina.” President Bush’s comments from the Rose Garden Friday morning formed “the start of this campaign.”

10:35AM CDT — BUSH PRAISES MICHAEL BROWN: “Brownie, you’re doing a heck of a job.”

BUSH USES 50 FIREFIGHTERS AS PROPS IN DISASTER AREA PHOTO-OP: A group of 1,000 firefighters convened in Atlanta to volunteer with the Katrina relief efforts. Of those, “a team of 50 Monday morning quickly was ushered onto a flight headed for Louisiana. The crew’s first assignment: to stand beside President Bush as he tours devastated areas.”

September 3 2005
SENIOR BUSH ADMINISTRATION OFFICIAL LIES TO WASHINGTON POST, CLAIMS GOV. BLANCO NEVER DECLARED STATE OF EMERGENCY: The Post reported in their Sunday edition “As of Saturday, Blanco still had not declared a state of emergency, the senior Bush official said.” They were forced to issue a correction hours later.
9AM CDT — BUSH BLAMES STATE AND LOCAL OFFICIALS: “[T]he magnitude of responding to a crisis over a disaster area that is larger than the size of Great Britain has created tremendous problems that have strained state and local capabilities. The result is that many of our citizens simply are not getting the help they need.”
8:05PM CDT — FEMA FINALIZES BUS REQUEST: “FEMA ended up modifying the number of buses it thought it needed to get the job done, until it settled on a final request of 1,335 buses at 8:05 p.m. on Sept. 3. The buses, though, trickled into New Orleans, with only a dozen or so arriving the first day.”
CHERTOFF CLAIMS THAT NO ONE COULD HAVE PREDICTED KATRINA: Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff argues that “government planners did not predict such a disaster ever could occur.” However, scientists and others had warned of the possibility for years.

September 12 2005
FEMA DIRECTOR RESIGNS: FEMA head Michael Brown resigns. Brown was “under fire over his qualifications and for what critics call a bungled response to Katrina.”
KATRINA TIMELINE | ThinkProgress

08-27-2012, 08:01 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
ThinkProgress is an American political blog that "provide[s] a forum that advances progressive ideas and policies".[2] It is an outlet of the Center for American Progress

Facts:
1) Gov. Blanco did not issue a request for federal assistance until the storm was allready on top of them. At this point it was virtually impossible to safely and effectively move personel and equiptment to the area.
2) Funding for levee and pump maintenance in the city of New Orleans had been diverted to social programs.
3)Katrina devastated many areas besides NOLA
4)After leaving office Blanco admitted she should have handled matters differently.
5)According to protocol the Federal gov could not take action prior to the request of the state.
6)Many of the contractors who brought equiptment and employees to New Orleans to help with major cleanup after the storm have still not been paid.

That being said , my wishes for safety and luck to those in Isaac's path
08-27-2012, 08:10 AM   #3
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by seacapt Quote
ThinkProgress is an American political blog that "provide[s] a forum that advances progressive ideas and policies".[2] It is an outlet of the Center for American Progress

Facts:
1) Gov. Blanco did not issue a request for federal assistance until the storm was allready on top of them. At this point it was virtually impossible to safely and effectively move personel and equiptment to the area.
2) Funding for levee and pump maintenance in the city of New Orleans had been diverted to social programs.
3)Katrina devastated many areas besides NOLA
4)After leaving office Blanco admitted she should have handled matters differently.
5)According to protocol the Federal gov could not take action prior to the request of the state.
6)Many of the contractors who brought equiptment and employees to New Orleans to help with major cleanup after the storm have still not been paid.

That being said , my wishes for safety and luck to those in Isaac's path
That look like FauxNews spin to me.
08-27-2012, 08:33 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
That look like FauxNews spin to me.
I propose we call a truce on this one. I didn't like the way the suffering caused by Katrina was politicized then or now.
I have editted my post in your GT thread about Isaac.
Lets just hope for the best with this storm.

08-27-2012, 11:33 AM   #5
Banned

Original Poster
NHC on Katrina Aug 27 2005 vs Isaac

08-28-2012, 07:49 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Another Beautiful Day In New Orleans

Attachment 138959

My daughter's first storm, this is at the lake front levee a few hundred yards from our house.
08-28-2012, 11:58 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Well Gee. I thought after the 1 and 5 year anniversary specials that National News Re-hashed, they might be done with trying to grab ratings. Guess I was wrong since we're getting Re-Hashed again, over a minor storm. Blame game has to stop, only thing that could have helped where helicopters with water and food. Maybe a few bull dozers since the damage was soo complete.
As a Citizen of 'The large land mass between NOLA and Mobile', I'm proud of how the People took care of themselves and others when Government Failed to stop that wicked Katrina from landing. You'd think as Powerful as Government is, they could have stopped it
Hopefully all I'll have to brace for is the 10th anniversary specials, doubt I'll live long enough for the 20th.

Citizen of the Large land Mass

08-28-2012, 02:31 PM   #8
Banned

Original Poster
Katrina Aug 28 2005 vs Isaac

Last edited by jogiba; 08-28-2012 at 02:49 PM.
08-28-2012, 05:02 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thazooo Quote
Well Gee. I thought after the 1 and 5 year anniversary specials that National News Re-hashed, they might be done with trying to grab ratings. Guess I was wrong since we're getting Re-Hashed again, over a minor storm. Blame game has to stop, only thing that could have helped where helicopters with water and food. Maybe a few bull dozers since the damage was soo complete.
As a Citizen of 'The large land mass between NOLA and Mobile', I'm proud of how the People took care of themselves and others when Government Failed to stop that wicked Katrina from landing. You'd think as Powerful as Government is, they could have stopped it
Hopefully all I'll have to brace for is the 10th anniversary specials, doubt I'll live long enough for the 20th.

Citizen of the Large land Mass
You do realize that there are some advantages in being a citizen of a large land mass that the Gov and media largely ignore?
08-28-2012, 05:28 PM   #10
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
So, I wonder if there will be more FEMA trailers, crapped out sporting arenas, people looting TVs and such through the flood waters, and busses under water because no one drove them to high ground. Ohh, and I wonder if people who were begged to get out beforehand are staying put again.
08-28-2012, 05:48 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by seacapt Quote
You do realize that there are some advantages in being a citizen of a large land mass that the Gov and media largely ignore?
Oh Yeah, very much so
I have to commend our Governor during that time. He stopped all reporters about 3 miles in from the coast and established a no fly zone over our coast line. It lasted a full week . After that limited access for 2 more weeks. Smart man for keeping the talking heads out.
08-28-2012, 05:56 PM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
So, I wonder if there will be more FEMA trailers, crapped out sporting arenas, people looting TVs and such through the flood waters, and busses under water because no one drove them to high ground. Ohh, and I wonder if people who were begged to get out beforehand are staying put again.
I can only comment on Mississippi. As for FEMA trailers, when you have an area 2 to 5 miles wide by 50 miles long, and everything is either destroyed or unlivable , FEMA trailers come in handy.
08-29-2012, 05:17 AM   #13
Banned

Original Poster
Tropical Storm Katrina on Aug 29 2005 10pm vs Isaac

Last edited by jogiba; 08-29-2012 at 05:29 AM.
08-29-2012, 06:04 AM   #14
Inactive Account

We are still doing okay this morning even though this has been blowing all night. We still have power, internet, water, and sewerage. A piece of siding blew off and is in my back yard but otherwise it looks like this is the worst of it and should start getting lighter soon.
08-29-2012, 06:13 AM   #15
Banned

Original Poster
WunderMap Radar shows it in detail

WunderMap