Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-29-2012, 10:56 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
globalization (Sorry I'm a bit speechless)

http://a.abcnews.com/images/Blotter/abc_caymans_flag_kb_120829_wg.jpg

QuoteQuote:
Gov. Mitt Romney's campaign toasted its top donors Wednesday aboard a 150-foot yacht flying the flag of the Cayman Islands.

The floating party, hosted by a Florida developer on his yacht "Cracker Bay," was one of a dozen exclusive events meant to nurture those who have raised more than $1 million for Romney's bid.

"I think it's ironic they do this aboard a yacht that doesn't even pay its taxes," said a woman who lives aboard a much smaller boat moored at the St. Petersburg Municipal Marina.

Romney's Cayman-based investments have come under fire during the campaign.

The event, attended by no more than 50 people, along with Romney relatives, including older brother Scott, appeared on no public calendars. ABC News obtained a schedule of the Romney campaign's "Victory Council" and waited dockside to speak with members.

"It was a really nice event. These are good supporters," said billionaire Wilbur Ross, an energy industry executive.

Spencer Zwick, one of Romney's top fundraisers, said the event was not to raise money, but simply to thank donors.
QuoteQuote:
Romney to date has declined to identify the names of his top "bundlers" -- those who gather checks from scores of donors on the candidate's behalf.

"He is the first nominee in 12 years to withhold these names," said Sheila Krumholz, executive director of the Center for Responsive Politics, which tracks political money on the website opensecrets.org.

"These are the most important insiders," she said. "The public needs to know who these people are because thy are the one's who stand to gain the most from a Romney presidency."
Why does this man have a chance at winning???????????????

08-29-2012, 11:00 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think his campaign people are just as "blind" as his trust.
08-29-2012, 11:05 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
On a somewhat related note.. (Kerry's loss still bugs me)
QuoteQuote:
We have seen ultra-calm candidates before. George H.W. Bush went on the re-election stump as if being president once was good enough. He had ticked off living in the White House on his bucket list, and fighting to stay there seemed an unnecessary chore. He had a perfectly good home in Kennebunkport. He felt entitled to win a second time, but was not prepared to put himself out. It was little surprise when he failed to be re-elected.

The same sense of expectant, unruffled arrogance hung over Al Gore. With the election result too close to call and Republicans in Florida dragging their feet over the recount that would tip the presidency into his lap, Gore should have been as angry as Peter Finch in "Network," going public with his frustration and demanding that justice be done in the greatest democracy in the world. Instead of shouting and screaming, however, Gore hired lawyers, sat back and let the Supreme Court roll over him. He didn't deserve the presidency because he didn't want it enough.

The same could be said of John Kerry, a former military hero who ran at a time when America was fighting two foreign wars. If anyone was qualified to be commander in chief, he was. He had a chestful of medals and had volunteered not only to lead men into battle against creeping communism in Vietnam but to go back for a second tour of duty.

Against him was a president who defended America from the safety of the Texas National Guard and a warmongering vice-president who dodged fighting the good fight with the help of five deferments. The nerve!
When the Swift Boat veterans swiftboated him, Kerry should have come out all guns blazing. How dare they impugn his honor? But he kept his hurt to himself and let others speak for him. Unsurprisingly, he lost.

You can be too keen for the job. No one can forget the raucous ardor with which Howard Dean, punching the air and bellowing like a rutting stag, belted out the states of the union like Ethel Merman playing a deranged geography teacher. And you can find your passionate side too late, as Hillary Clinton did when Obama overtook her on the inside and she belatedly rediscovered her blue-collar roots and became Rosie the Riveter.

Romney is far more like Bush 41, Gore and Kerry than Dean and Clinton. He says he dearly wants to lead us to a prosperous future, but he can't seem to break sweat to do it.
COLUMN: Does Mitt Romney really want to be president? | Reuters
08-29-2012, 11:27 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jeffkrol Quote

http://a.abcnews.com/images/Blotter/abc_caymans_flag_kb_120829_wg.jpg

Why does this man have a chance at winning???????????????
While it doesn't matter much to many, I think the number one reason Mitt has a chance is because he's a white male. I'd never have guessed the (extreme)religious right would allow a Mormon to be elected as the President. It's as big of a milestone as having a black president was or a female president would be. The only thing that would surprise me more is the election of an Atheist in this country.

Bigotry runs deep, and while it's not a consideration for the majority(I hope). I think there is a strong enough influence to give any white male opponent a base to work with.

08-29-2012, 11:32 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kenafein Quote
While it doesn't matter much to many, I think the number one reason Mitt has a chance is because he's a white male. I'd never have guessed the (extreme)religious right would allow a Mormon to be elected as the President. It's as big of a milestone as having a black president was or a female president would be. The only thing that would surprise me more is the election of an Atheist in this country.
Religious right are opportunists........if nothing else:
my enemies enemy is my friend..
QuoteQuote:
Case in point: Last fall, the Rev. Robert Jeffress created a huge stir when he said that Romney, a Mormon, is a member of a religious cult and "a conservative out of convenience." But now, Jeffress, who pastors First Baptist Church of Dallas, says he's fully behind the candidate.

"I think there's a realization among Christians that Jesus isn't on the ballot this year," says Jeffress, "and so, I mean, many times, voting is voting for the lesser of two evils."
President Obama shifted that balance dramatically when, earlier this week, he announced that he supports same-sex marriage.
"This has brought a new dynamic into the election, and it really is a gift to Gov. Romney from President Obama," Jeffress says.
Becoming Evangelicals' First Choice

Even before Obama's statement, evangelicals favored Romney over the president by 3 to 1, chiefly because they so dislike the president,
08-29-2012, 11:40 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Donors Invest Millions in Romney for Billions in Returns - Bloomberg
08-29-2012, 11:41 AM   #7
Veteran Member

On a somewhat related note.. (Kerry's loss still bugs me)

[]
First off the boat does not belong to Romney but even if it did.....
1) Common practice for vessels of that size to be have home ports and documentation outside the US. Frequently yatchs are documented in the country of manufacture or initial delivery.
2) That could simply be a "courtesy flag" if the boat cruises the islands. It does not mean that the boat is not "documented " in the US or nessescarally indicate home port or port of call.
3) Not enough info , the writer of the article may simply be ignorant of maritime law and protacol.
4) Boats that size are rarely "registered" they are "documented.
5) If the boat was purchased used it is common practice to maintain international documentation.

Since you mentioned John Kerry here is an article about him blatantly screwwing his home state out of tax revenue John Kerry Saves $500,000 By Docking 76-Foot Luxury Yacht Out Of State

Last edited by seacapt; 08-30-2012 at 05:11 AM.
08-29-2012, 11:59 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by seacapt Quote
First off the boat does not belong to Romney but even if it did.....
1) Common practice for vessels of that size to be have home ports and documentation outside the US. Frequently yatchs are documented in the country of manufacture or initial delivery.
2) That could simply be a "courtesy flag" if the boat cruises the islands. It does not mean that the boat is not "documented " in the US or nessescarally indicate home port or port of call.
3) Not enough info , the writer of the article may simply be ignorant of maritime law and protacol.
4) Boats that size are rarely "registered" they are "documented.
5) If the boat was purchased used it is common practice to maintain international documentation.

Since you mentioned John Kerry hear is an article about him blatantly screwwing his home state out of tax revenue John Kerry Saves $500,000 By Docking 76-Foot Luxury Yacht Out Of State
http://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-...ker-bay-48064/

But unlike Republicans he ADMITS to an ISSUE..
http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0710/40455.html
QuoteQuote:
The Massachusetts senator pointed out that he is not “legally” required to pay the taxes but recognizes that politically the taxes must be paid.

“I should have paid more attention and done it faster or whatever,” he said. “I just didn’t think we had to.”
Using your logic, I believe it was his wifes (sort of) yacht....... sooo it is not HIS yacht......... common practice you understand ...harrumph ...harrumph
QuoteQuote:
Coast Guard registration records show the vessel is owned by Great Point LLC, a limited liability corporation based in Pittsburgh, Heinz's longtime home. The millionaire heiress to the Heinz ketchup fortune is a philanthropist and environmentalist.
QuoteQuote:
hosted by a Florida developer on his yacht "Cracker Bay,
...........very patriotic of those FL developers eh..

Your having a party for a pres candidate.. you could have the courtesy (unless there is a law against it, you tell me) to CHANGE YOUR FLAG..or is it really an inside joke..???

Owner of "the Villages"

OK possibly much ado about nothing..

QuoteQuote:
The Country the Yacht is Flagged in: Cayman Islands - The official registry port is George Town and her home port is Fort Lauderdale, USA - Class society used: LR (Lloyds Register) - Completed survey under Maritime & Coastguard Agency (MCA) Large Yacht Code: Yes - Max yacht charter guests 12 - Guest’s cabins: - Guests Cabin configuration: - Maximum Number of Guests Whilst Underway: - Number of Crew Members: 9

Her Engine(s) is two 1014 HP or 1363 Kilowatts Caterpillar. The Model type is 3508B DITA diesel. - Overall output: 2028 HP /2726 KW. - Approximate Cruise Speed is 13 knots. - Top Speed: 14 nautical miles per hour. - Approximate range: 5000 at a speed of 10 knots. - Bunkering capacity: 58000 L. - Fresh water: 15000.00. - Gensets: Northern Lights 2 times 99 kilowatts. - Some locations the yacht has visited: Fort Lauderdale. United States. Broward County. Florida.
QuoteQuote:
Below are links to photos of the yacht Cracker Bay owned by Gary Morse the CEO and developer of The Villages and a link to pictures of his yacht based near Tampa. It has been said that it will be used heavily during the GOP convention in Tampa this August for GOP dignitaries

Last edited by jeffkrol; 08-29-2012 at 12:20 PM.
08-29-2012, 08:26 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Jeff, yes this really is much ado about nothing.
You have to realize this isn't a 270 Sundancer we're talking about and there are some legal and logistic issues.
Back in the 80's I had a "part time" roommate who was full time crew on a 98 footer which for many years was listed in PMY's top 100 privately owner motor yatchs. This thing doesn't make that list in todays world of Mega Yatchs but at 148 Ft is no slouch
It is flagged in the Caymens..
It was built in the Neterlands and therefore would be difficult to Document as a US vessel. There are some really touchy issues and some discrepancies between maratime law and USCG regs regarding this.. From what I've found the current owner is not the person who contracted the original build . It does qualify for certain USCG large yacht exemptions and allmost certainly does travel internationally. Offshore registry really does make perfect sense and might have been the only way to go for this vessel.
That being said , yup some rich dude from FL who backs Romney threw a party on his boat for a bunch of other rich dudes who back Romney.
I'd be more upset about the people who do federally document their 270 Sundancers to avoid paying state registration fees and taxes.
One other consideration even if this boat did qualify for US documentation is that the USCG has the right to comendere any US documentented vessel . I personally know two captains whose boats were comendered during the Marielle Boatlift so yes this really does happen. If that was your boat would you want it being used as a shuttle bus?

Last edited by seacapt; 08-29-2012 at 08:36 PM.
08-30-2012, 03:45 AM   #10
Veteran Member

This is the kind of stuff that I think ruin elections. Romney had a fund-raiser with a bunch of wealthy politicians (this is what presidential candidates do). The rest is a non-issue.

I would much rather hear about the different plans the presidents have, and analyses of those plans by non-partisan experts. All additional stuff is just a distraction.
08-30-2012, 05:42 AM   #11
Veteran Member

But unlike Republicans he ADMITS to an ISSUE..
Yeah but only after he was caught redhanded with the boat in Massachusetts waters and being threatened with tax evasion charges
08-30-2012, 05:44 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kswier Quote
This is the kind of stuff that I think ruin elections. Romney had a fund-raiser with a bunch of wealthy politicians (this is what presidential candidates do). The rest is a non-issue.

I would much rather hear about the different plans the presidents have, and analyses of those plans by non-partisan experts. All additional stuff is just a distraction.
Agreed......
08-30-2012, 11:33 AM   #13
Banned

Go to any yaught dealer that sells an ocean-worthy vessel and they'll basically volunteer the information to you about the benefits of having the hull registered out of the country. Plus for most people who sail above average distances - waving the american flag off of a yaught isn't the wisest of things
08-30-2012, 11:39 AM   #14
Veteran Member

It may be common for yachts to be operated under flags other than the U.S., but it does, again, point out how irrelevant our borders and nationalities are to those who are wealthy enough to own these vessels. Money, jobs, and on and on are parked from country to country as easily as many of us park a car. It is one more reason why tax gimmicks or cuts for the wealthy have no real likelihood of ending up with a net benefit to most of those living here.
08-30-2012, 12:01 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Remember the hoo-ha (I only do vaguely) when some Democratic candidate showed up somewhere without an American flag lapel pin!!!!? The Fox crowd played that for weeks.

I gotta think that eventually the Tea Party mugwumps are going to figure out how badly they're being played by the big money guys.
Closed Thread