Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
09-04-2012, 04:30 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Need help asking a cute girl to be my partner in studio lighting class.

Today I partnered up with a complete douchebag in my studio lighting class. We had to photograph an egg as a start with a single strobe with reflectors. He yelled at me and did hand gestures at my face and screamed at me. I have no idea what his problem is but he was a really angry guy. I did not want to be his partner anymore in this class.

Next time I have to partner up with someone, I want it to be this cute girl that sits in the back of the class. How do I ask her to be my partner? I have a clue on what to do but not really sure, I will sit next to her in class next time, possibly try jacking someone else's spot, the spot that another girl sits in.

How do I ask her? Do I just sit next to her and say "Do you want to be my partner in the next project?" What do I do? I don't think I'm that great of a looking guy, probably ugly to say the most.

09-04-2012, 04:34 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by LeDave Quote
How do I ask her? Do I just sit next to her and say "Do you want to be my partner in the next project?"
Exactly - and just be yourself!
09-04-2012, 04:36 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Try making small talk beforehand and then... if you hit it off, ask if she'd mind partnering up with you. It might help put her at ease if you explained why.
09-04-2012, 04:45 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Bring your longest lens. Girls get impressed by that.

But seriously, you could just try asking.

09-04-2012, 05:02 PM   #5
Veteran Member

We had to photograph an egg as a start with a single strobe with reflectors. He yelled at me and did hand gestures at my face and screamed at me. I have no idea what his problem is but he was a really angry guy. I did not want to be his partner anymore in this class.
Whyyyy did he do this? Did you guys successfully take the egg's picture? was the chicken happy? You can't go wrong with an egg, at least from composition side of things, they are the same from every angle! Err, same thing with the colour, in general.
09-04-2012, 05:10 PM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
Try making small talk beforehand and then... if you hit it off, ask if she'd mind partnering up with you. It might help put her at ease if you explained why.
The guy I was partnered up with last time was a psychopath, can you save me and be my partner for next time?

QuoteOriginally posted by D4rknezz Quote
Whyyyy did he do this? Did you guys successfully take the egg's picture? was the chicken happy? You can't go wrong with an egg, at least from composition side of things, they are the same from every angle! Err, same thing with the colour, in general.
The guy went completely ape shit at me, no idea what's his problem was, no way you can screw up shooting an egg with one strobe with a reflector...
09-04-2012, 05:16 PM   #7
Veteran Member

The guy I was partnered up with last time was a psychopath, can you save me and be my partner for next time?

How about...

"hey, did you like your last partner? No? Well, have i got a perfect solution for us."

09-04-2012, 07:32 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sounds like you haven't even spoken to her yet. Try chatting with her about what her photography interests are and what she wants from the class. Ought to lead directly to asking her to partner if you work it right and it will seem more natural and less intense.

As for your partner - Risperdal takes 8-12 weeks to kick in. Many folks can get almost as much of a gain from switching to a good decaf. Just sayin'.
09-04-2012, 07:40 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Next time I have to partner up with someone, I want it to be this cute girl that sits in the back of the class. How do I ask her to be my partner? I have a clue on what to do but not really sure, I will sit next to her in class next time, possibly try jacking someone else's spot, the spot that another girl sits in.

How do I ask her? Do I just sit next to her and say "Do you want to be my partner in the next project?" What do I do? I don't think I'm that great of a looking guy, probably ugly to say the most.
Too. Funny.

Before you talk/ask her, make sure your breath is not garlic/onion/bad breath.
If you're clean, well groomed and no bad odors then just be yourself and ask.

All she will say is no, or give you an easy let down.

99.9% of women are not going to crush your ego/soul, so relax.

Unless of course she is me, and I'm holding my Pentax and you are holding a Canikony.

Then I will be the .1%

09-04-2012, 10:20 PM   #10

U should post a pic of the girl first.
09-04-2012, 10:50 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Have you seen any of her work? If so, you can try complimenting her / asking her about it. Or about the assignment you've been working on from the previous class.

You could also try claiming that you are hoping to partner with as many members of the class as possible, and ask her if she wants to partner.

I would personally try taking interest in what she is doing. If she isn't an expert, chances are she is having at least a bit of trouble, and would be glad to have a partner who knows a few things, or who is supportive of her efforts.

You have nothing to lose here, except your pride. But, remember, there is only one way to absolutely guarantee that she won't say yes to being your partner...

...and that his by not asking.

Lastly, I don't think most people would chose their partner based on looks.
09-04-2012, 11:06 PM - 1 Like   #12
Veteran Member

Feel free to use any one of these, if they don't work at least you'll be remembered.....

"Hey, you think I could try my lens on your camera?" or

"I may have a 1.5 crop factor, but my ISO is terrific!" or

"That's a lens in my pocket" or

"My grip is real comfortable"

Last edited by twitch; 09-04-2012 at 11:13 PM.
09-04-2012, 11:40 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Maybe you should ask her to watch this...

09-04-2012, 11:57 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

One hopes it's not going to be a life class.

On the other hand, that might introduce the need for a few more creative lines.
09-05-2012, 06:17 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Like too many women she may be more interested in partnering with a psychotic.

Chris