Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-10-2012, 09:34 AM   #16
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
The smart phone is actually something I use.
That's where I am as well. I have had one for a few years now and I have an old Verizon plan that is unlimited data and text, with pay ($.25 per minute) phone. Last month was an unusual month; I had to pay for some phone time - 50 cents.

Last edited by Parallax; 09-10-2012 at 09:43 AM.
09-10-2012, 09:42 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I was kind of the same way until about a year ago. I had Motorola Star Tac. Then I realized I never used the darn phone anyhow. I rarely call anybody and nobody ever calls me. The smart phone is actually something I use. I can check the weather forecast while on motorcycle trips, I have Google maps if I get lost, can watch a ball game anywhere, even stay up with following the forum although I will rarely post from the phone. I'm bad enough with a keyboard. You should see me trying to text. It was making funny noises one day. I think somebody called me. I didn't know how to answer it.
I just want a phone. To talk into and listen to others on. I have a GPS in the car, heck even my "dumb" phone can do turn by turn directions if I want it to. When I'm away from the keyboard I do not want email, tweets, texts, or other stuff following me everywhere. I guess having to be on call and carrying a pager everywhere (sometime 2 if I was on two different services) made me prize my time away from "being in touch". In my practice today I am not on call, we do not do emergencies, and I like it this way. Ah well, I dislike Apple even more after the Federal Court ruled that they own rounded corners - doh!
09-10-2012, 09:57 AM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
I just want a phone. To talk into and listen to others on. I have a GPS in the car, heck even my "dumb" phone can do turn by turn directions if I want it to. When I'm away from the keyboard I do not want email, tweets, texts, or other stuff following me everywhere. I guess having to be on call and carrying a pager everywhere (sometime 2 if I was on two different services) made me prize my time away from "being in touch". In my practice today I am not on call, we do not do emergencies, and I like it this way. Ah well, I dislike Apple even more after the Federal Court ruled that they own rounded corners - doh!
I'm certainly no big Apple fan either. After spending hundreds of millions in legal fees over proving they own the rounded corners and rectangles, I think that's all we will see from them for a long time.
09-10-2012, 10:37 AM   #19
Veteran Member

I'm certainly no big Apple fan either. After spending hundreds of millions in legal fees over proving they own the rounded corners and rectangles, I think that's all we will see from them for a long time.
And those fees had to come from somewhere - hence the outrageous prices for their equipment.

09-10-2012, 11:31 AM   #20
Banned

"But Hogan says that the jury made the decision not based just one element of the design, such as a device’s rectangle shape.

“In the case of the design patent it was the look and feel of it, and how the device presented itself,” he said. “When you compared them side by side, it was apparent the patent was valid.”

When asked if he thought this was a case that could be handled by a traditional jury, Hogan answered with a firm “Yes I do.” He then went on to say “While it was complicated, I believe that any jury of our peers could have reached this decision.”

The jury in the case found that Samsung “willfully” infringed on five of seven Apple patents including the iPhone’s iconography, its “pinch-and-zoom” feature, the “bounce-back” effect in on-screen scrolling and the double-tap zoom.

http://mashable.com/2012/08/27/apple-samsung-jury-foreman/

Nokia Microsoft Phone 8 smartphone is Apple approved :

Samsung copy of iPhone:

Last edited by jogiba; 09-10-2012 at 12:12 PM.
09-10-2012, 01:46 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I used to scratch my head in wonder at all this venom directed at Apple, until it occurred to me one day that it was largely coming from computer geeks who had staked all on Windows being all they ever had to learn. Apple spoiled Microsoft's party by not lying down and dying, and that put a lot of people out. All that time and energy put into the One True OS, and suddenly there's a rival back from the dead. It wasn't supposed to be like this. First, it was ridiculing the original iMac for its looks, then the move to Intel processors. Things went quiet with the iPod but back into overdrive with the iPhone and iPad. Now the Samsung case provides more opportunity for FUD-slinging.

Honestly, what sort of odd mentality causes people to conduct polls on the looks of a product that hasn't been released, and whose shape people are still speculating about? The same sort of thinking that causes people to say that cycle-ways will lead to World Government, I suspect.
09-10-2012, 10:11 PM   #22
Pentaxian

I'm certainly not anti-Apple. My first computer was an Apple 2e which I still have around the house somewhere. I strayed away because of the locked down system they have. I can build my PC, configure it as I please. One hard drive or as many as will fit in the case if I please. I can choose mother boards, graphics cards, DVD drives to suit my needs. Android phones are a lot more open. All my music on my PC just loads on to the SD card in the phone. I treat it like a jump drive. I'm not locked into ITunes. I buy my products based on the way they work, not on how pretty they look.

Apple has a right to defend it's patents. We all have our opinions but none of us sat in that courtroom for weeks and went through all the evidence. The big issue the courts will be deciding on appeal is whether the patents should have been issued to begin with. I think that is the direction Samsung is going with their appeal.

While some people might question the mentality of polls about a phone that hasn't been released yet, all the chatter and polls and opinions going on in other threads of the forum about the next Pentax camera and lenses is probably just as odd.

09-10-2012, 11:09 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm certainly not anti-Apple. My first computer was an Apple 2e which I still have around the house somewhere. I strayed away because of the locked down system they have. I can build my PC, configure it as I please. One hard drive or as many as will fit in the case if I please. I can choose mother boards, graphics cards, DVD drives to suit my needs. Android phones are a lot more open. All my music on my PC just loads on to the SD card in the phone. I treat it like a jump drive. I'm not locked into ITunes. I buy my products based on the way they work, not on how pretty they look.

Apple has a right to defend it's patents. We all have our opinions but none of us sat in that courtroom for weeks and went through all the evidence. The big issue the courts will be deciding on appeal is whether the patents should have been issued to begin with. I think that is the direction Samsung is going with their appeal.

While some people might question the mentality of polls about a phone that hasn't been released yet, all the chatter and polls and opinions going on in other threads of the forum about the next Pentax camera and lenses is probably just as odd.
Nobody needs to defend a personal decision of that type, but for some reason many people seem to be easily polarised on who or what is better, and feel the need to belittle other people's decisions when they don't conform to that view. I'm not saying you or anyone else in particular is doing that here, but it was the creation of a poll on the appearance of an unknown product, and then directing the result at the manufacturer in a derogatory way that really got to me. That's shallow in the extreme, and a very long way from speculating about something, or creating a wishlist, as people here have done, in relation to Pentax products.

It's a well-established technique, though, and it's called the "Straw Man" technique. You build up a model of your enemy, cast from your own prejudices, and proceed to destroy it, even though it may bear no resemblance to the real thing. That's what was done by the writer of that article referenced by the OP.