Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-06-2012, 10:22 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have a Droid X2. I'm generally satisfied with it. My music is all stored on it. I can go online with it. I've used the Google Maps and Navigation on trips. The camera is ok for snapshots. On rare occasions I even use it as a telephone. My service is with Verizon. It gets its most use during breaks at work when I'll catch up on sports scores or maybe watch highlights.

09-07-2012, 01:52 AM   #17
Veteran Member

I have a Samsung Galaxy Note and a LG Optimus 3D Max.

The Note is fantastic. Once you have tried the screen size, it's very hard to go back to a regular smartphone. The only reason the LG gets a lot of use is the 3D camera and 3D display, which I absolutely love.

My usual recommendation when asked "which smartphone?" is currently the Galaxy S3.
09-07-2012, 05:50 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Samsung Galaxy III for me. Came from an iphone 4 so the android interface takes a little getting use to. Love the Micro SD card option. Apps while not as many as itunes , Google Play has more than enough both free and paid. Like the voice to text / email / phone feature , it's relatively accurate. Have not linked it to a blue tooth yet so can't speak to that. Have to be careful how many wiglets you have running as battery life is not great. I was in a remote location all day did not turn off any radios so phone was constantly searching battery died around 10:00 pm. I have since bought a spare battery (another nice feature over the iphone)

Touch screen is good - not quite as good as the iphone I think but good. Loaded a bunch of music , but don't listen to it much (I have an iTouch for that). Calls are crisp and clear (carrier and location dependent) I know it's a phone after all. Interface has several 3rd party launchers, but even with stock completely customizable. I don't think it will replace a ps camera , while the camera is great in good light , at night I find the AF really struggles. Has some nice features , burst mode, detect smile (that actually works), etc. Email set up is easy (I have 3 accounts). Can act as an access point bonus for me as I canceled my USB wireless stick subscription.

It's the first Andoid phone I have owned and my 3rd smart phone (HTC & iphone). I was looking at the Galaxy Note (my wife has that) as I love the screen and pen, however it's just too big for me.

My opinion , it's like all electronics , it's pretty much state of the art today , but that never lasts more than a couple of months (in the Android world anyway - and Windows 8 coming out soon). Get what you like today and don't look again until you are ready to upgrade.

Last edited by daacon; 09-07-2012 at 07:00 AM.
09-07-2012, 06:45 AM   #19
Banned

My wife pays for our Verizon Family Plan cell phone bill since she uses 90% of the monthly minutes so I have the Verizon Microsoft Sharp Kin TwoM feature phone that was free with 2 year contract and has 8mp still 720p HD video camera that is good enough for me since I have a Panasonic DMC-ZS20 compact 20x superzoom with 1080p60 that fits in my pocket if I want to shoot video of the kids or whatever. I have a 64GB iPod Touch , 64GB Verizon 4G LTE iPad 3 and i7 MacBook Air that could all work in ultra fast 4G LTE mode using the iPad as a personal 4G LTE/ wi-fi hotspot.

09-07-2012, 09:04 AM   #20

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote

My opinion , it's like all electronics , it's pretty much state of the art today , but that never lasts more than a couple of months (in the Android world anyway - and Windows 8 coming out soon). Get what you like today and don't look again until you are ready to upgrade.
True but I've spend some money on some quality apps, which I would have to rebuy; if I switch Id like to stay with that platform.

I also have an iPad, and am really intrigued by the new Windows Surface tablet.
09-07-2012, 09:09 AM   #21

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pakinjapan Quote
i am still using a none-smartphone. I am not impress with smartphone smaller screen. looking for a good small tablet as a phone replacement. may be windows 8 base tablet. I should be able to drop my file in the device and play it via its players just like how it work on a PC. iOS isn't that bad but I have the same issues as you mention. (i have an iTouch.).
from what I test with Wins8 beta version, I think windows8 is a good OS on touch screen tablet and smart phone but not for PC for sure. not sure what MS is thinking lately!
Do you know if the Win8 tablets will be able to run desktop apps?
09-07-2012, 09:16 AM   #22

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote

The Android feature is great, especially when you consider that you just plug it in via the USB and your comp will see it as just another "regular" storage unit ... just drag and drop ... game over! No non-sense "synchronizing" each time you upload photos (I have an IPod touch ... painful!)
This!

I hate syncing, it's unnecessary and a big pain in the ass. I recently had a harddrive failure, saved all my data except for my whatever files iTunes need to sync; now it won't sync without erasing everything on my device.

I

09-07-2012, 09:16 AM   #23

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
Samsung Galaxy III for me. Came from an iphone 4 so the android interface takes a little getting use to. Love the Micro SD card option. Apps while not as many as itunes , Google Play has more than enough both free and paid. Like the voice to text / email / phone feature , it's relatively accurate. Have not linked it to a blue tooth yet so can't speak to that. Have to be careful how many wiglets you have running as battery life is not great. I was in a remote location all day did not turn off any radios so phone was constantly searching battery died around 10:00 pm. I have since bought a spare battery (another nice feature over the iphone)

Touch screen is good - not quite as good as the iphone I think but good. Loaded a bunch of music , but don't listen to it much (I have an iTouch for that). Calls are crisp and clear (carrier and location dependent) I know it's a phone after all. Interface has several 3rd party launchers, but even with stock completely customizable. I don't think it will replace a ps camera , while the camera is great in good light , at night I find the AF really struggles. Has some nice features , burst mode, detect smile (that actually works), etc. Email set up is easy (I have 3 accounts). Can act as an access point bonus for me as I canceled my USB wireless stick subscription.

It's the first Andoid phone I have owned and my 3rd smart phone (HTC & iphone). I was looking at the Galaxy Note (my wife has that) as I love the screen and pen, however it's just too big for me.

+1

I used to have Droid X before and now have a S III. My Droid X was repalced five times under warranty and was crappy. My Samsung S 3 has been a champ so far. Even with 4G, the battery life exceeds that of the Droid X by much more. Bought it as it came out and not a single annoyance so far. Not even buyer's regret. I am on verizon, so coverage is as good as it gets. This phone rocks. If you are looking for a new smart phone you should look into this phone.
09-07-2012, 09:29 AM   #24
Inactive Account

Sony Xperia S - the camera is insanely sharp- great screen and audio is meant to be great as well. BUT the front buttons are soooo unresponsive that I find it hard to recommend, hope they fix this with a firmware update if possible.
09-07-2012, 10:23 AM   #25
Veteran Member

A Surface will likely run most Windows stuff, yes, but it may not be the best fit for working on everything because of the size difference between one and a regular laptop. Or so it says here:

Microsoft's Tablet: No Depth Below The Surface : Discovery News

This is a rather negative review considering they're not even out yet, but it says yes. That's one of the reasons I want one actually. I can't run anything like Photoshop on my Cruz. I can do just about everything else, albeit not nearly as well as I'd like, but not that. I'd really like to be able to do that for work. It would be nice to not have to carry around the laptop and still be able to go there...
09-07-2012, 11:10 AM   #26
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by JenniferLeigh Quote
Do you know if the Win8 tablets will be able to run desktop apps?
Surface Pro with an Intel CPU will run Windows 8 desktop apps but not Windows Surface running Windows RT using ARM CPU.
09-07-2012, 11:19 AM   #27

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
Surface Pro with an Intel CPU will run Windows 8 desktop apps but not Windows Surface running Windows RT using ARM CPU.
SOLD! As a graphic/web design & digital photographer, I've been waiting for a tablet that I can integrate into my workflow. Looking forward to this release!
09-07-2012, 11:35 AM   #28
Pentaxian

I have an iPhone 3GS because that was what was available through my friend's "friends and family" thing. It was 99-cents (30 dollars after taxes, LOL). I pay $40/month. My boss made me get a cell phone so I would be "more accessible". No one has ever called for work-related things in 2 months...
I have no games on it. Have taken only a couple documentary photos to email ("I'm on the USS Iowa"). Can deposit my paycheck using it. Used GPS once when my my regular GPS ran out of battery power.

I find it odd that you can not choose to have an A-Z keyboard rather than the Qwerty type.

Last edited by SpecialK; 09-07-2012 at 11:40 AM.
09-07-2012, 11:37 AM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Really, only a bit more advanced than that, the cheapest possible Tracfone prepaid phone. I barely make a dent in the minutes. There might be a tablet in my future but there are almost too many tablet choices now.
09-07-2012, 12:24 PM   #30
Veteran Member

As an 11-month user of Windows Phone, I love it. Everyone gets caught up on the app selection, but honestly, hundreds of thousands of App Store apps have never been downloaded...not even once. There's a good selection of apps in the WP Marketplace and they are (mostly) all quality since they were approved by Microsoft. The app design is also consistent and better looking than Android and iOS,

WP is stable, reliable, fast, smooth, and easy to use with great battery life.

I have a Nokia 900 now and will be getting a 920 when it comes out. The 920's camera will wipe the floor with every other cell camera on the market

Yeah, is has SR