Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-06-2012, 04:09 PM   #1

What smart phone do you have?

So, what smart phone do you have? What do you like about it? What drives you crazy?

I'm way overdue for a phone upgrade, frankly I'm surprised my iPhone 3gs has survived this long. My main desire in my next phone is a decent camera as I don't currently have a digital point n shoot.

My original plan was to hold out for the iPhone 5, so I could get the 4s for a great price. However I don't know how much I want to stay with Apple, there are some things that REALLY annoy the hell out of me. Give me a micro SD slot, let me play .avi files off my camera, and for goodness sake, let me drag and drop my music like every other media player on the planet.

However, I have purchased quite a few apps, and I love the interface design, so I'm a little torn.

So I've been looking at the Samsung Galaxy s3 and the Windows smart phones. I love the Windows design but the app selection kind of sucks compared to Android/iOS. I browsed through the Android app store, which looks pretty stocked with what I would want but is it just me or do a lot of them have ugly design?

09-06-2012, 04:54 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I am a complete idiot when it comes to smart-phones. I have a kids hand-me down droid something, can`t stand the lack of battery life. Really want one of them Casio tough phones, not the new smart one.
Just this week, had to give up my upgrade so the 13 yo. could get her iPhone 4-s, something about must have "Siri" or what-ever that is.
I must say that for a phone, this new one takes some ok. shots and it feels and sounds way better than my droid.
Judging from my kids preferences, you might rethink booting out apple.

p.s. the Verizon sales lady suggested to hold out for the new i5, my daughter told her that she was not interested in 4G as it would not make much difference to what she wanted the phone for.
Wait... did I mention that this cell-phone has a pretty good camera in it.

Last edited by Ex Finn.; 09-06-2012 at 05:13 PM.
09-06-2012, 05:02 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
i am still using a none-smartphone. I am not impress with smartphone smaller screen. looking for a good small tablet as a phone replacement. may be windows 8 base tablet. I should be able to drop my file in the device and play it via its players just like how it work on a PC. iOS isn't that bad but I have the same issues as you mention. (i have an iTouch.).
from what I test with Wins8 beta version, I think windows8 is a good OS on touch screen tablet and smart phone but not for PC for sure. not sure what MS is thinking lately!
09-06-2012, 05:06 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I have a HTC Wildfire.

Good points:
Price (it's was cheap when I got it)
Size (easily fits in my pocket)
Swype (much easier to type with)
Battery (I usually get about 3 days from a charge, a full week if I don't use WiFi or anything)
Strength (it's survived multiple drops, the worst that's happened is a few scratches)

Bad points:
Slow (just about every bit of software has lag)
Camera (not sharp, bad colour rendition, interface to hold phone means almost impossible to not get shake)
Swype (it remembers every spelling error/mistake and adds them to it's dictionary.... after a few months it becomes corrupt and always will autospell something stupid like "devgh" when you actually meant "David")

09-06-2012, 05:59 PM   #5
Veteran Member

All Pictures taken with iPhone 4S and instagram filter HI-contrast

iPhone 4s user and suggest you not give up on Apple either. I love the camera on my 4S and sure 5 will be as good or better. I use the camera a lot and everyone usually thinks its an actual camera. Just my $.02 god luck

Last edited by vievetrick; 09-07-2012 at 05:35 AM. Reason: added pictures
09-06-2012, 06:05 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have a prepaid dumb phone. I can make and receive calls (both of which happen infrequently.) It has no idea where I am and, half the time, I have no idea where it is ;~)
09-06-2012, 06:06 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Old Motorola Droid A855 on Verizon. Meh... It's okay. Slow, but I can live with it. Camera is bleh.
09-06-2012, 06:46 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have the Samsung Galaxy SII LTE and it is a real treat!

I have uploaded a few app's ... working great; I use it to text to my kids who never answer a regular phone but they will immediately respond to a text message ... the resolution of the creen is splendid, it is a bit large but not much than an iPhone ... what else? ... Oh yeah! I do make calls with it !

The Android feature is great, especially when you consider that you just plug it in via the USB and your comp will see it as just another "regular" storage unit ... just drag and drop ... game over! No non-sense "synchronizing" each time you upload photos (I have an IPod touch ... painful!)

Seriously, I like this phone ... oh! and the camera is quite good considering it is still a "phone".

JP

09-06-2012, 07:28 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Wife and I both have a BlackBerry 9900, brilliant device, best berry to date.....love how it pairs with my 32gb Playbook as well...which I type this out on right now. I'm a keyboard guy....will be a tough switch if BB10 is a failure. Weak selection of apps, but I don't use many anyway.
09-06-2012, 08:11 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Location: Jessica Lake, Whiteshell Provincial Park, Manitoba, Canada
I have an iPhone 4 no s. I love it. It has kept pace with the march of time far better than my crackberry ever did. It has taken some fabulous photos when I, gasp, left my K-r at home. I have an iPad and love how many apps purchased on one, works for no extra money, on the other. As a former PC or nothing kind of person I went out this past weekend to take a look at an iMac. I'm still drooling. I love the way Apple supports thier products and are so keen to have people be happy with what they have bought. I may have OD'ed on the Apple juice but it is sweet stuff.

Here's one I took recently:
iPhone photo | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Last edited by bigted; 09-06-2012 at 08:13 PM. Reason: Adding a link
09-06-2012, 08:14 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I have the Samsung Galaxy SII with Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich on it.
09-06-2012, 08:30 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have a Samsung Galaxy. I would really rather it was a phone with the extras than as it is, the extras are there and you have to fight to get to the phone. YMMV.
09-06-2012, 08:33 PM   #13
Veteran Member

This is as smart as my phone gets...

TracFone | Prepaid Cell Phones | Prepaid Wireless

I use the $20 basic model. I use only the minutes I need (get double minutes actually for every card I buy) and pay no taxes. That's smart in my book. I can text and so forth but honestly I never do. It's a phone. That's all it is and I like it that way. That being said I have one of these and I probably use it much like most people do their smart phone, except for the IM thing which I can't be bothered to get into. It's primarily just my e-book reader but I can surf the internet and check mail and so forth on it too. I hope to upgrade it next year with a proper Windows tablet but my cell phone? This is about as technically advanced as I am ever likely to get. I have a weird bias against smart phones. I just don't like them much.

Velocity Micro | T301
09-06-2012, 08:39 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have an LG smart phone of some sort, and can't wait until the contract is over so I can get rid of it. In fact, I wouldn't have a cell phone at all but my job requires it. I am forever thankful that it doesn't work anywhere within 50 miles of my house (no cell service).

I just don't see what all the hype is about I guess.

In a couple months, I will be getting a pre-paid regular cell phone that has actual buttons to press the numbers to make a phone call if such a thing is still even made.
09-06-2012, 10:14 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by WiseOx Quote
Wife and I both have a BlackBerry 9900, brilliant device, best berry to date.....love how it pairs with my 32gb Playbook as well...which I type this out on right now. I'm a keyboard guy....will be a tough switch if BB10 is a failure. Weak selection of apps, but I don't use many anyway.
Another 9900 user here. Amazing phone, couldnt get through a day of work without it.

Had a Galaxy S II and its a fantastic device as well. Love the screen, cameras amazing for a phone camera, and app selection is great. Sucks as a phone and buisiness tool though.

If i didnt need my keyboard, battery life, organization tools..like a calander and notepad that work... I'd be back on the Galaxy in a heart beat. So for the OP...android.

I cannot stand the virua that is Apple. Itunes is the worst program on the face of the earth...