Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-11-2012, 09:04 PM   #1
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Cowboy Rollers

I got these up tonight in my new little studio downtown. Maybe some here might be interested, they could easily mount in a den or garage for portrait shooting and such. A neat and easy way to store your backdrops without a lot of hassle. Each roller holds one 10 ft wide by most any length backdrop, and is quickly and easily rolled up or down.....a little, a lot or all the way.
Took about 2 hours from start to finish to install it.....Mrs Rupert was a great helper!

From Cowboystudios online.

Regards!

Counter weighted pulley system.
[IMG] [/IMG]

[IMG] [/IMG]

[IMG] [/IMG]

09-12-2012, 03:41 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Things are moving along Rupert !
09-12-2012, 07:32 AM   #3
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Original Poster
Yeah Dave.....soon I will be shooting away! ......I hope! Still a few loose ends, but I am very close now! My plan is for my first test run with one of my models early next week.

Best Regards!
09-12-2012, 06:09 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Looks like a cool little setup.. Might want to get your subjects a little further away from it, if that chair's not just hangin' out there, but that ought to be pretty convenient.

You can mark the floor with bits of tape and any writing you need to replicate placements you like at need, btw.

(And I still love that flooring, I'd be trying to get subjects to lie down on that or something. I've done studio work, but if I had one of my own, , I'd be trying to make it look as not-like studio as possible, so don't mind me, there. )

(Another helpful hint I thought of looking at that photo: Your lighting unit that's between customers and the bathroom, particularly: you could use the drop-ceiling frame to just sort of tether the lighting unit from falling too far with any sort of cord you care to attach, (Maybe paracord, (though that tends to be melty, it doesn't tend to be burney, ) high test fishing line, anything, ...and you can make it so there's enough room to move that light around, but if someone knocks it over, it can't fall too far and either hurt someone/destroy your light. You've got to account for kids, pets, and stressed out people dealing with bridal gowns and the like. A little string can make peace of mind.

You can make a way to unhook it at need with any ol' thing from a dog leash or old camera strap or just the same stuff from hardware or army surplus. ) It doesn't take much, but I think you're a little like me in wanting a relaxed atmosphere when dealing with kids and pets and stuff, it's just a good bit of kid-proofing. Studios are a *bit* different, that way, especially in some portrait mills, but if you let the toddlers sort of toddle, back and forth between Mommy and Daddy and the funny photo lady, you can't manufacture the look on the *parents' faces. Just can't. (That's why I say there's one use for a UV filter, my favorite kid-and-pet lens is a *magnet* for toddler-fingers and dog-noses. You need to be able to remove smears immediately. But that's more an outdoor thing. )