09-13-2012, 05:48 PM - 4 Likes   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Update Number *Twelve* from my Afghan Deployment

Content removed

Last edited by Heie; 04-04-2013 at 04:47 AM. Reason: CONTENT REMOVED
09-13-2012, 05:49 PM   #2
Forum Member

Thanks for the update and congratulations again on being published. Stay safe!

09-13-2012, 06:34 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Another great update & another fantastic set of "real" photos. That little W90 seems to be doing a nice job! Til next time, stay safe & we appreciate all you do!

Last edited by paulh; 09-13-2012 at 06:59 PM.
09-13-2012, 06:44 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Heie, another excellent set--a few shots are superb, but the series as a whole is extremely interesting (as always). Feels real, authentic...
You're not an idealist. Your "idealism" is truthful understanding. You are more mature than your friends. In any case, your thinking is mature.
Take care, be safe!

Last edited by causey; 09-13-2012 at 07:16 PM.
09-13-2012, 06:50 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Your posts are great for those of us looking for a little bit of what is actually happening day to day. Interesting as well as educational. I thank you for the effort you are putting into this.
09-13-2012, 07:02 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks Heie, this post was a blessing to read. It's an honor to have read stories and seen images from your deployment. You do us a great service, and we will not forget it. Keep the great attitude, keep safe, and God bless you and all of your fellow soldiers!
09-13-2012, 10:49 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Heie, thanks for sharing your images and, in particular, your thoughts on the recent protests.

09-14-2012, 03:02 AM   #8
Veteran Member

images r gone
09-14-2012, 05:37 AM   #9

Unfortunately, your photos are gone. Yet, I feel urged to say thanks for your clear, reasonable, and human position in the discussion cited at the top of your post. So few mad people can harm and destroy the lives of so many so easily and on all sides. I very much appreciate your attitude. We'd rather look at each other recognizing the fellow human - more than anything else.
Looking forward to the reappearance of your photos. :-)

Best wishes,
Jan

Update: Images are back. Great shots, Heie, and very interesting, giving an impression of your daily job. Thanks for the effort of this series!

Last edited by JanG; 09-14-2012 at 07:33 AM.
09-14-2012, 08:10 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
A lot of great compliments for which I am humbled, however there are a few comments that I'd like to specifically address.

QuoteOriginally posted by causey Quote
Heie, another excellent set--a few shots are superb, but the series as a whole is extremely interesting (as always). Feels real, authentic...
You're not an idealist. Your "idealism" is truthful understanding. You are more mature than your friends. In any case, your thinking is mature.
Take care, be safe!
Causey, in this set I am particularly proud of the sunset prayer photo. But thank you very much for the compliments.

QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
Another great update & another fantastic set of "real" photos. That little W90 seems to be doing a nice job! Til next time, stay safe & we appreciate all you do!
Thanks Paul! I love the Pentax rugged Optio series because not only are they a great rugged camera, but more importantly they have a carabineer - that camera has been attached to my gear with rock climbing, and now doesn't leave my vest. While the IQ of some of the other rugged cameras are very compeititive, and maybe even a bit better, having that carabineer is absolutely critical, and in my opinion, is what truly makes it the ultimate "outdoorsman" P&S.

QuoteOriginally posted by Lupine Quote
Thanks for the update and congratulations again on being published. Stay safe!
Thanks again Lupine! I really am honored to be able to say that now Thanks!

QuoteOriginally posted by JanG Quote
Unfortunately, your photos are gone. Yet, I feel urged to say thanks for your clear, reasonable, and human position in the discussion cited at the top of your post. So few mad people can harm and destroy the lives of so many so easily and on all sides. I very much appreciate your attitude. We'd rather look at each other recognizing the fellow human - more than anything else.
Looking forward to the reappearance of your photos. :-)
Best wishes,
Jan
Jan, thank you for your comments. Like I said it had been something that was bothering me and needed to be written down, and it occurred to me that maybe this update was a good place to do so. It really is a shame that such a few can wreak havoc on such an overwhelming majority, however with the advent of technology it is becoming easier and easier. And in tow, smaller and smaller becomes our capacity to see through the sensational headlines and remain objective and analytical. At least that's my observation anyway.

Lastly, regarding the photos not being there - they are there I promise. I have been having issues with my Firefox displaying the images, so I switch to I.E. when I know there are pictures to display (which they are show right now). I haven't done so myself, but I recommend re-installing Firefox and maybe even using a different browser, i.e. Safari and/or Opera. Firefox has not been displaying approximately 75% of all photos for me, but I can assure you, they are there. I hope this helps.

Again, thank you all very much for your kind words.

-Heie
09-14-2012, 03:13 PM   #11
Forum Member

FWIW, I've heard that it's a recent Flash update has been causing these intermittent problems. IIRC, it forces Firefox into protected mode. I turned off protected mode and have not had any problems since.
09-14-2012, 04:46 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Hello from Australia.
As usual,...THE TRUTH.
Unfortunately, we lost five of our boys over there recently, 3 killed by a rogue Afghan soldier, and another two in a helicopter accident.
Thank You,and keep safe.
Cheers, Pickles.
09-14-2012, 07:34 PM   #13

Location: Jessica Lake, Whiteshell Provincial Park, or Winnipeg Manitoba, Canada
Thanks for your update. Glad to hear you are safe, albeit a little gritty sometimes. I was surprised when you revealed how young you are, as your posts have a maturity about them that goes well beyond your chronological age. You are considerably more mature than your peers and your thinking clearly shows that. Have faith that your peers will catch up with you, but I suspect you will need some patience.
Stay safe and thanks again for the photos and update. I look forward to the next one.
09-15-2012, 07:18 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I really enjoy the combination of reporting on what you're doing, the insights into the Afghan culture, & then the comments that show a corner of your mind is also always thinking about photographic technique. In another era, I imagine you might have been one of the pioneers of war correspondence.
My favourite of this bunch is #9. Somehow the 'soldiers in a sunflower garden' seems to sum up the things you've been reporting.
May your maturity rub off on those around you.
Take care, be safe, & all that
09-16-2012, 12:27 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Thank you once again for the images and your thoughts.

I always look forward to each. Much better and more sensible than anything we get from the media.