Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-16-2012, 05:45 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
OK, so you're saying if I take a model to a public place... I don't have to get her to sign a model release? Somehow I suspect that's not right.

09-16-2012, 06:18 PM   #17
Banned

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Eerrr, model by definition means someone that is given money (or "something" of monetary value) to pose.

And technically by the book, yes... I've seen many a photo shoot in public places such as public parks. I've even seen crowds that get in on the action and also take secondary pics of the models - and guess what... The "secondary" or onlooker photographers (even if by mobile phone or literally any camera) do not need a model release.

For the "main photographer" or anyone contracting the model - by definition they need to cover themselves contractually, but in this particular case - if it were in a public park - it just depends.

Note relating to the case in France. Yes the laws in France are definately different than in america. The dispute over taken from public will be interesting. But the same could have occured if a lane would have literally flown over numerous times - or even something as unusual as a balloon cam.
09-17-2012, 12:58 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by westmill Quote
She is a royal and should have known better. They must be the most photographed people on the planet. Its hard to have much sympathy for such stupidity. A topless royal is any press photographers dream. A lot of Brits will see her as an embarassment to the nation. My feelings were simply what a moron lol.
Being a "Royal" is simply an arbitrary title which in the end means absolutely nothing when it comes to being a human being. This girl is a normal person, and was doing something most of us have done in our lives. Can you place the blame squarely on her? Where were her "handlers" and her husband when the decision was made to bathe topless? Probably they were all right there and didn't see it as a big deal, yet the photos are out and now perceived by some as "an embarassment to the nation". The only true embarrassment is that a nation would have "royals" to begin with which they hold to be better than anyone else. The British royal family and the tabloids have been bed buddies since the time of the invention of the printing press and it appears one needs the other equally just to remain topical or relevant. I think these countries who have these "royal" figures would be better off with a family of gerbils living in a palatial playpen and could be on continual public display for the world to see...not much different than the humans just playing the part in front of the constant and desperate eyes of the media.

Jason
09-17-2012, 02:23 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Jasvox Quote
The only true embarrassment is that a nation would have "royals" to begin with which they hold to be better than anyone else. The British royal family and the tabloids have been bed buddies since the time of the invention of the printing press and it appears one needs the other equally just to remain topical or relevant.
Well I agree with that!

However we do not see the topless Kate photos as 'an embarrassment to the nation.' I think the issue is that we empathise with Kate, who is a decent respectable person, who we think should be entitled to a degree of privacy even though fate has seen her marry a Royal figure.

I also think by after the death or abdication of QEII, the status and interest in the Royal Family will decline quite sharply and expect them to become more like the Scandinavian royals. I strongly suspect William and Harry would not object one bit as they seem much more modern in their outlook.

Last edited by ihasa; 09-17-2012 at 02:59 AM.
09-17-2012, 02:45 AM   #20
Veteran Member

I think these countries who have these "royal" figures would be better off with a family of gerbils living in a palatial playpen and could be on continual public display for the world to see...not much different than the humans just playing the part in front of the constant and desperate eyes of the media. Jason
These kinds of blanket statements when it comes to people like the Windsors are rather unfair. Could you do the Queen's job? I doubt I could. One look at the royal appointment book makes you realize that she actually has a F/T job and then some representing her country and acting as a public figure for her people. I can't look at the work that someone like Queen Elizabeth actually does and not give her credit due. She spends more time traveling and networking events and people and so forth than most high level executives do.

Nobody really believes that royalty are better than the rest or divinely entitled to rule anymore. That's not their function. What they are is life long ambassadors for their country. Take a real look at their schedules. See what they actually do to earn their wages and you'd be surprised I think at how much time and work they put in. They're not lazy at all. Far from it.

Kate Middleton is pretty new to all of it this and I personally do not envy her one bit. Just the constant wondering aloud if she's pregnant or not that's totally absurd. Like a woman having a baby is THAT important that it's her only function in this world. It's a heck of a stressful life constantly living in that fishbowl. It may have some really nice perks and it may pay well but I still would not want to have to do what she will have to do for the rest of her life.
09-17-2012, 03:11 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
These kinds of blanket statements when it comes to people like the Windsors are rather unfair. Could you do the Queen's job? I doubt I could.
I'm sorry, but the Queen's job is to dress up like a Muppet and observe protocol. Anything else isn't her job, merely a privilege of her celebrity.

Jason
09-17-2012, 04:41 AM   #22
Veteran Member

I'm sorry, but the Queen's job is to dress up like a Muppet and observe protocol. Anything else isn't her job, merely a privilege of her celebrity.

Jason
No her job is to run around visiting heads of state, acting as an ambassador for her country, and to appear at hundreds of functions every year. The woman spends more time "working" than just about any other old woman alive. You think not? For one year read the UK papers and check the Queen's website daily. Make an actual list of how many places she visits, how many charity events she appears at, how many hospitals she visits, and how many other similar things she attends in her function as Queen. I bet the sheer number would really surprise you. Yeah, she takes time off sometimes, but sometimes it's 2 or 3 appointments daily. That's a lot for an old woman to handle.

She's not just sitting in the palace all day filing her nails and petting her dogs you know and unlike most of us she doesn't actually get to retire when she's ready. She's 86, and she's still on the job like she's 25. My Dad is her age and he's lucky if he can get up to going to the store once in a while on his own. He'd fold in a heartbeat just trying to keep up with her schedule. All that parading around dressed like a Muppet? It's WORK, and if you don't think so? Well, all I can say is you clearly have no idea of the scope of the woman's job. Because it is a job, and a darned demanding one at that, and at 86? I just don't know how she does it myself. I'd have probably abdicated in favor of an heir 20 years ago if I was her.

But she's not the only one. Charles and even his kids, they spend a lot of time on the road and in the country doing similar things. That despite the fact that William actually has a side job as a rescue pilot. (Do he and Kate even have the time to make the required babies?) Harry isn't exactly the lay-a-bout either. He's over working in Afghanistan trying to ignore the target that's practically tattooed on his head. That he's even allowed to go there is surprising. I think it's rather dangerous for all involved but I also admire the fact that he actually wants a military career, a job outside his duties at the Palace, which he doesn't just get to shrug off, btw, because he's a soldier. When he's not on active duty he's also doing charity type work.

Sometimes the Windsors I think they're absurd. The Queen's husband flashing the world just totally embarrassing and stupid. (The old man must be losing it mentally or something. He has been ill a lot so maybe that explains that, or maybe he's just an old pervert who knows?) But I will never say they don't do their jobs because they really do. Yeah, they still get paid ridiculous sums to do it, but they do actually have a job. They do the same job that any ambassador does pretty much plus plenty of charity/social work besides.

Walk in the shoes of QE or any of her children for even a month and I think you just might get a very different perspective of who they are and what they do in terms of their "jobs" because they are hardly the "idle" rich. Far from it actually.

From a website describing a typical day for her...

The Queen's working day begins like many people's - at her desk.
After scanning the daily British newspapers, The Queen reviews her correspondence.
Every day, 200-300 (and sometimes many more) letters from the public arrive. The Queen chooses a selection to read herself and tells members of her staff how she would like them to be answered.
This enables Her Majesty personally to see a typical cross-section of her daily correspondence. Virtually every letter is answered by staff in her Private Secretary's office or by a lady-in-waiting.
The Queen will then see, separately, two of her Private Secretaries with the daily quota of official papers and documents. This process takes upwards of an hour.
Every day of every year, wherever she is, The Queen receives from government ministers, and from her representatives in the Commonwealth and foreign countries, information in the form of policy papers, Cabinet documents, telegrams, letters and other State papers.
These are sent up to her by the Private Secretaries in the famous 'red boxes'. All of these papers have to be read and, where necessary, approved and signed.
A series of official meetings or 'audiences' will often follow. The Queen will see a number of important people.
These include overseas ambassadors and high commissioners, newly appointed British ambassadors, senior members of the British and Commonwealth Armed Forces on their appointment and retirement, and English bishops and judges on their appointment.
Each meeting usually lasts 10 to 20 minutes, and usually The Queen and her visitor meet alone.
The Queen may also meet a number of people who have won prizes or awards in a variety of fields such as literature or science, to present them individually with their prize.
If there is an Investiture - a ceremony for the presentation of honors and decorations - it begins at 11.00am and lasts just over an hour. The Queen usually meets around 100 people at each Investiture to present Orders, decorations and medals.
The Queen will often lunch privately. Every few months, she and The Duke of Edinburgh will invite a dozen guests from a wide variety of backgrounds to an informal lunch. Occasionally, the guest list may consist of far fewer people, such as a newly appointed or retiring Governor-General and their guest.
If The Queen is spending the morning on engagements away from her desk and other commitments, she will visit up to three venues before lunch, either alone or jointly with The Duke of Edinburgh.
On a regional visit, The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh lunch with a wide variety of people in places ranging from town halls to hospitals.

Okay, she has people to handle a lot of the mail but the rest sounds like a pretty heavy day's work to me, particularly when you add the must appear at social functions at night to all the appts she takes per day. 10 hour days sound pretty normal for her. I couldn't find anything for 2011 but in 2010 according to the UK news she took 444 engagements outside the work she does at the Palace, 57 of which were overseas trips. So add it up. She spends several hours a day doing paperwork and seeing various people, then she has at least 1 if not 2 or 3 appts outside as well. She makes at least 50 diplomatic trips a year? I'd say she was pretty darned busy for an 86 year old woman....

Last edited by magkelly; 09-17-2012 at 05:03 AM.
09-17-2012, 04:50 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Nope, that what the PM of her country does and only bows to her for populist reasons. Mostly what she does, along with the other "royals" is to tour around with red carpets unfurled to them, receive gifts and pose for photo ops because of what...protocol and political correctness.. When was the last time the Queen was involved in any high level talks of any true importance?

Her "job" is that of a privileged celebrity and anyone could do it. As for a real job, she hasn't had to do a hard days work, pull a double shift, or do anything laborious in her life, are you kidding me? Do you honestly think she is actually under any pressure or strain in life other than to maintain an image?

I guess some people simply see these "royals" as fairytale types and heroes. To each his own.

Jason

Last edited by Jasvox; 09-17-2012 at 05:03 AM.
09-17-2012, 05:16 AM   #24

Well what they expected, direct sunlight and royal arse and tties comes always with some paparazzi and a long lens. Now does not matter what country has what laws, the pictures are for everybody to see. But we live in a modern world, this can bring some more sympathy towards them.

As for the Queen, other than British, i doubt there are many people who care if she walks on red carpets or drive all day a garbage truck. As long as they are happy with the Queen, i see absolutely no problem in whatever she does.
09-17-2012, 05:26 AM - 1 Like   #25
Veteran Member

When was the last time the Queen was involved in any high level talks of any true importance? Her "job" is that of a privileged celebrity and anyone could do it.Jason
It's not her job to run the country anymore only represent it and no, I don't agree that "anyone" could do it. She's no hero to me or fairytale figure. I see her as a high profile person with a real job and not the easiest one at that. I've not worked for royalty but I've worked for people who were in a similar position to her. What people think is not "hardly working" usually involves a lot more work than you can see unless you're doing it yourself. The rich usually aren't idle. Not these days. Some are, but the vast majority are either working hard to make more money or doing other work if they don't have to do the former. I never worked for a rich person that didn't work 10 hour days I don't think.
09-17-2012, 08:19 AM   #26
Pentaxian

Ok, I've come to a decision. If I was in the same position as that photographer, I wouldn't have taken those pictures, I wouldn't have been snooping around some balcony hoping to take those pictures, and the fact that he was just creeps me out. Kate did nothing wrong, god knows every relationship I've ever been in has involved some time spent topless. But what kind of creep hangs around with a camera hoping to get a picture of that? Saying he did it for the money isn't good enough. In fact that just emphasizes my point. This photographer was the absolute epitome of moral corruption, selling out for a buck, or he was a total pervert. Either way I don't like him.

That being said, what's the big deal? All this rubbish about Kate needing to be something other than a normal human being, what a bunch of snotty nosed hogwash. I personally hope she and the prince don't care, don't change their behaviour, and just say something like, "We aren't going to let the fact that there are ignorant perverts in the world change our healthy normal relationship." I'm happy to see they are a well adjusted normal couple and have a life away from the media that isn't as stiff as the media seems to think it should be. FFS, "You're royalty , you have to project an image that would make you freaks." What kind of nonsense is that?

God I'm tired of the purile media's fascination with nudity. The only reason the media wants nudity controlled is so they the media can make money selling it to us. If everyone walked around naked all the time and posted pictures fo each other naked all the time, it would cost them billions. This is all about them making money. By controlling what we see, they control what we'll pay for. The champions of morality are actually the biggest perverts of us all, making money showing people what other people really look like, while proclaiming it's somehow "immoral". Ya, immoral to stop their exploitation practices. it'a amazing what depths some people will stoop to to make money. It's OK to turn whole societies into perverts as long as there's a dollar to be made.

Last edited by normhead; 09-17-2012 at 08:25 AM.
09-17-2012, 09:53 AM   #27
Inactive Account

It has just been brought to my attention that "Kate Middleton" is in fact an anagram of "Naked Tit Model".
09-17-2012, 10:53 AM   #28
Veteran Member

well who's going to post a link to the pics?
Enquiring minds want to see
09-17-2012, 11:24 AM   #29
Veteran Member

'Enquiring minds'

Yeah, like you haven't already been googling for them! But if you insist, here's a link so you can take a look at Kate's Tomatoes. (link removed)
09-17-2012, 11:57 AM - 1 Like   #30
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ihasa Quote
But if you insist, here's a link so you can take a look at Kate's tomatoes.
Very round and firm, but it appears a bit of sun screen may have been in order; they look a bit red.