Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-25-2012, 09:18 AM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
Took a long trip in a friend's Mini earlier this year. What an uncomfortable pain in the a** that was.
The seats felt hard and the suspension transmitted every crack in the road up your backside.
I guess it is supposed to improve handling, but it really did not seem suited for long rides.
Like I said before, I have driven a variety of both Minis and Fiats. Like you, I have found the Minis to be a bit uncomfortable, but responsive - kinda British-sporty feeling if you know what I mean. The Fiats are more comfortable but a lot less responsive - kinda American-boaty feeling. That said, if I do purchase a Fiat, I would have to lower it. It is far too fluffy with the factory set up. I hope that changing the suspension won't make it uncomfortable for longer trips, but I am guessing that it won't.

09-26-2012, 02:22 AM   #47
Veteran Member

The mini I drove (2004 Cooper S I think - was a while back) was not "British-sporty feeling" it was "they forgot to fit suspension-crashy feeling"

A sporty car does not have to be rock hard, but it's hard to get it right. Especially I guess when the car is so heavy for it's length, like the Mini. Do you get the Abarth 500 over there?
09-26-2012, 06:16 AM   #48
Veteran Member

I think what you guys were experiencing were the run-flat tires and the characteristics of what they lend to the feel rather than the suspension of the Mini itself. If you read back or around the owners forums, this can be quickly solved by replacing the run-flat tires with normal tires or simply order the vehicle with out the run-flat tire option. Solved.

Jason
09-26-2012, 09:39 AM   #49
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Northern Soul Quote
The mini I drove (2004 Cooper S I think - was a while back) was not "British-sporty feeling" it was "they forgot to fit suspension-crashy feeling"

A sporty car does not have to be rock hard, but it's hard to get it right. Especially I guess when the car is so heavy for it's length, like the Mini. Do you get the Abarth 500 over there?
I meant like an MG. Not much in the way of comfort there either. It could have been the run flat tires though. One of the main advantages of the a Mini over a Fiat for me is the ubiquitous nature of Minis. They are everywhere, hence easier to park on the street without it getting f**cked with. I have seen a couple of key scratched Fiats in the past few weeks.

Yes, we can buy Abarths. I think that most of the Abarth owners are pretty happy with their cars. I would be too, but you can't get one with an auto-stick. Evidently the uprated engine / turbo needs a heavier duty transmission and the only one available is a 5 speed.

09-26-2012, 04:14 PM   #50
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Long time ago, I had a `67 or so Fiat 850 special. The only three troubles I ever had with it was: keeping the stupid fan-belts on when revving the engine really high, the occasional random disintegration of the rotor in the distributor and lastly, the fact that it never was a Babe-Magnet.
So, all in all, my experiences with euro Fiats (dad had a 600, he also had a real Morris Mini, might have been Austin Mini, that was good for a Brit car.) have been pretty good.

If I was seriously looking to buy one now, it would have to be the Abarth.
Here, some modified Fiats.

Last edited by Ex Finn.; 09-26-2012 at 04:49 PM.