Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-21-2012, 12:12 PM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bimjo Quote
...but from what I've read when they put the turbo in it they pushed the suspension just about to the limit & there are no upgrades yet (may not be possible).
...I love my Mini, but I wouldn't have it as an only car, nor would I buy a Fiat 500 as an only car either.
There are a fair amount of suspension upgrades available for Fiat 500's. At least all the models need better springs, but you can get coilovers if you want to spend the cash. There are also a variety of intakes, exhausts and electronic devices available.

I have a Volvo sedan as another vehicle. Plenty big enough, but I would rather have another pick up truck. That is not going to happen.

09-21-2012, 01:56 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Scion IQ vote for me, Scions are basically Toyotas.
09-21-2012, 06:38 PM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by LeDave Quote
Scion IQ vote for me, Scions are basically Toyotas.
And very good tests/reviews from what I have seen on a weekly TV show here.
They put the car through the "normal" routine (which means they really beat it up) and they all agreed on:
performance, fuel economy, handling, comfort and looks ... all positive.

JP
09-22-2012, 01:23 AM   #34
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jasvox Quote
Yes, the Mini diesel, the Ford Focus diesel (74.2 miles per gallon), the VW Polo (Golf) diesel (71 miles per gallon) and the Peugot 207 diesel (74.3 miles per gallon) are all very very high MPG (between 58 and 75 MPG) and the cleanest burning cars on the road, but alas not for sale in America...too clean and too efficient I reckon.

source: What Cars Get the Best Gas Mileage in Europe? | eHow.com

Jason
I rented a VW Golf diesel (manual, of course) when I was in London for a week in Feb this year. I think it was the blue economy model. It turned the engine off when I stopped and put it into neutral and started again as soon as I pressed the clutch down. I was pleasantly surprised. It seemed quite responsive and didn't have the diesel roughness I'd experienced on e.g. Mercedes diesels from the 1980s. I'd give it a 'Like' I think that Mercedes have lifted their diesel game too. A friend recently traded in his C63 AMG for an E350 CDI and he's happy. It wasn't the fuel consumption (22L/100km ... er ... 10.7mpg US or 12.8mpg imp) but the harsh ride that made him want to change. The modern diesels have a lot going for them, but if you were used to a high-revving petrol engine, you'd have to change your driving style a bit.

Richard.

Last edited by RichardS; 09-22-2012 at 01:29 AM.
09-23-2012, 05:47 PM   #35
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Jasvox Quote
It is a real shame you cant buy the Mini diesel model in the USA. MPG is over 65 miles per gallon and it in one of the cleanest emission vehicles ever produced. Same goes with the Ford Focus diesel.
True, but... There is a rather good market between importing both European and Asian cars into america. It helps to know someone stationed in one of those areas; and perhaps a good mechanic to make a few conversions here and there. One can even "technically" get papers to allow the cars use "as-is" without the need for any modification. Btw it's also interesting to see how any car without a cat (catalytic cnverter) runs so much better than one that does have it. But it's also a shame that it would be a federal level felony to also try to tamper with such a device.
09-23-2012, 06:00 PM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Medium FormatPro Quote
Btw it's also interesting to see how any car without a cat (catalytic cnverter) runs so much better than one that does have it. But it's also a shame that it would be a federal level felony to also try to tamper with such a device.

I always thought that pretty much all developed nations had laws regarding catalytic converters? (mainly referring to I would have thought Europe would be just as harsh in their rules as the US)

If you want/need/prefer the slight power increase why not instead use a high-flow cat?
Yes, they don't flow as well as a straight pipe, but the good quality ones can flow 80-90% as well.

(and then if we wanted we could get into the whole black art of exhaust tuning re: gas velocity, flow, pressure, scavenging, etc)
09-23-2012, 06:20 PM   #37

Photos: Gallery
I know the gentleman who has the very first Fiat 500 sold in the country (US) - Prima #11; 1-10 were kept by Fiat and #12 was just sold by Jay Leno. Anyway, he uses it as a daily driver and has had no difficulty with it. I like Minis, but the newest ones are anything but mini and BMW's quality lately has been spotty. (I've been driving BMWs for 10 years, but won't have one newer than the mid 90's, honestly,)

09-24-2012, 09:12 AM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lammie200 Quote
There are a fair amount of suspension upgrades available for Fiat 500's. At least all the models need better springs, but you can get coilovers if you want to spend the cash. There are also a variety of intakes, exhausts and electronic devices available.

I have a Volvo sedan as another vehicle. Plenty big enough, but I would rather have another pick up truck. That is not going to happen.
Color me corrected.
09-24-2012, 09:53 AM   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ran a 500 Abarth Esses for a while (uprated boost, brakes and lowered suspension)
1.4 is nice, great midrange, you'll get 35 to 40 around town, 50ish cruising and low 20s when you really hammer it. Felt it a bit breathless at 6000+
Brakes are strong, really puts it on its nose. Rears snatched a few times in really wet / icy conditions but the abs recovered.
Handling wise, the 500 Abarth Esses is actually pretty composed, no float over crests and it will tighten its line if you lift off mid corner, not as much as say a 205 GTI but entertaining nonetheless. Dunno, what Americans will think of ride quality, I thought it par for course.
Front seats are very comfortable, long journeys are not an issue for driver or front passenger, rear... try to make them smaller friends.
Luggage space, its small but will take a couple of overhead luggage bags no problem.
Steering wheel is nice size, gear level falls to hand nicely, pedals have enough room around them.
On a tight Irish or UK road, I would have no problem keeping up with a Mini Cooper, the Toyota would not know which way it went. Clio RenaultSport? would take both Mini and 500 and send them both home to their mammy's crying.

09-24-2012, 10:21 AM   #40
Veteran Member

I don't mean to disparage the Mini but I'd like to know how many people on these forums who own one - and how many miles they have on their cars. I love driving the Mini but I have three friends who have owned them - both turbo and non-turbo examples - and all have suffered major problems. One had the engine let go after a couple of years. Another owned the car for a few days when suddenly the brakes stopped working. The lines were never properly tightened at the factory. Now, I have one friend who owns a Fiat 500. He has only had it a few months so I can't comment on the long-term ownership experience. Still, I would urge people to not fall into the old habit of assuming any Italian car will be bad in the 21st century. The 500's engine is made in Detroit and the entire car is assembled in Mexico. That's the same place where the Ford Fusion and many other, perfectly reliable cars are assembled.
09-24-2012, 12:32 PM   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Biro Quote
...The 500's engine is made in Detroit and the entire car is assembled in Mexico. That's the same place where the Ford Fusion and many other, perfectly reliable cars are assembled.
Same country, but I believe that Fiats are assembled at an old Chrysler PT Cruiser plant. The engine is"imported" from Detroit, the manual transmission is from Italy (I think) and the auto transmission is from Japan (I think.)

Audi A1's are not available in the USA, but I see that they measure about 156" long. That is about the same as a Yaris, Scion Xd, Honda Fit, Mazda 2, etc. I need something in the range of 140"-145" and about $20k. I don't imagine the Audi 1 as being in the $20k area even if it were available in the USA.

The Fiat 500 Abarths are nice as someone posted. I probably won't go that far though. My wife prefers the auto-stick anyway and the Abarth is only available with full manual.
09-25-2012, 05:21 AM   #42
Veteran Member

That was a great write up on the Fiat. If I were in the market for another small car I would for sure look at it closely.
I wonder if they are using the AISIN transmission that many people use now. It is very reliable.
Which speaking of reliability (don't want to jinx myself of course) to the person above I have an 07 Mini non turbo with
106k miles on it no problems so far.
09-25-2012, 08:00 AM   #43
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by condor27596 Quote
...I wonder if they are using the AISIN transmission that many people use now. It is very reliable...
AFAIK the auto-stick is an Aisin tranny and I think that it has been utilized for a few years now in other vehicles as well. It is a six-speed whereas the manual is a five speed. Evidently they changed the gear aspect ratios on the manual for 2013 vs 2012. The current ratio lets them label 40 mpg's for the highway driving with the manual transmission. I think it was labeled for 38 in 2012. The Aisin auto was not changed for 2013. People poo-poo the auto-stick but I like it.
09-25-2012, 08:23 AM   #44
Veteran Member

I totally agree. I bought the auto because at the time I was sharing or semi sharing with my wife.
It does hog a little mpg over the manual though 5-10 depending on driving style. I only get real life
about mid 30s. I normally use it in manual mode but not to hot dog it but to help with the mpg
and driveability. Also a clutch on a mini is a $2500 repair. That is a bit over the top if you ask me.
I guess I'm trying to say that I wanted the manual, but got the auto, and in the end I am glad I got the auto.
09-25-2012, 08:38 AM   #45
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Took a long trip in a friend's Mini earlier this year. What an uncomfortable pain in the a** that was.
The seats felt hard and the suspension transmitted every crack in the road up your backside.
I guess it is supposed to improve handling, but it really did not seem suited for long rides.