Photos: Gallery
Food for thought, read the disclaimers

Bill Maher Ridicules Obama’s “Christianity”

09-24-2012, 09:11 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
Reid, the highest-ranking Mormon in elected office in America, noted on Friday a recent opinion piece published in the Huffington Post by Gregory A. Prince, co-author of "David O. McKay and the Rise of Modern Mormonism."

Prince, who said he backed Romney in his Massachusetts gubernatorial bid and in his 2008 run for president, railed against GOP nominee after a surreptitiously recorded video emerged in which the candidate said 47 percent of Americans play the victim card and believe they are entitled to government handouts.

"Judge Mitt Romney as you will, and vote for or against him as you will; but do not judge Mormonism on the basis of the Mitt Romney that was unveiled to the public this week," Prince wrote. "He is not the face of Mormonism."

Reid, on the conference call, said, "I agree with him."
Harry Reid: Mitt Romney is not the face of Mormonism | The Salt Lake Tribune
09-24-2012, 09:13 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Then WHAT exactly is the point....?????
09-27-2012, 05:46 AM   #34
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Jesus' General: Sen. Scott Brown Viciously Attacks Mitt Romney's Religious Beliefs

QuoteQuote:
For the last week or so, Sen. Scott Brown has been taunting Elizabeth Warren about her Native American heritage. He says there's no way she could be part Cherokee, because her skin lacks the melanin that marks the swarthy hoards as being less worthy of Jesus' love than God's chosen Americans.

By assailing Warren in this way, Sen. Brown is attacking Mitt Romney's most deeply held religious beliefs about Native Americans, or "Lamanites" as Mitt calls them. According to the late Mormon prophet, seer and revelator, Spencer W. Kimball, God is lifting His melanin curse from righteous Lamanites thus making them as "white and delightsome" as a bonafide Osmond.

From President Kimball's October 1960 General Conference sermon (published in the Church's official organ, "The Improvement Era" (December 1960, p. 223):

I am sure. The day of the Lamanites is nigh. For years they have been growing delightsome, and they are now becoming white and delightsome, as they were promised. In this picture of the twenty Lamanite missionaries, fifteen of the twenty were as light as Anglos; five were darker but equally delightsome.
The children in the home placement program in Utah are often lighter than their brothers and sisters in the hogans on the reservation.

At one meeting a father and mother and their sixteen-year-old daughter were present, the little member girl—sixteen —sitting between the dark father and mother, and it was evident she was several shades lighter than her parents — on the same reservation, in the same hogan, subject to the same sun and wind and weather. There was the doctor in a Utah city who for two years had had an Indian boy in his home who stated that he was some shades lighter than the younger brother just coming into the program from the reservation. These young members of the Church are changing to whiteness and to delightsomeness. One white elder jokingly said that he and his companion were donating blood regularly to the hospital in the hope that the process might be accelerated.

09-27-2012, 07:02 AM   #35
Veteran Member

It's apparently hard for many Americans to understand when someone's faith is unorthodox, a personal thing which develops over time rather than unquestioningly following the herd, so people like you fling words like 'atheist' and 'muslim' around. Sad truth is that most of the Founding Fathers would probably not be 'Christian enough' these days.

I think Maher was probably closest to the truth, but I also think it's perfectly possible that Obama's a sort of 'Jeffersonian' Christian.

Take that first video you posted and compare what Obama is saying to what Jefferson had said:

QuoteQuote:
The whole history of these books [the Gospels] is so defective and doubtful that it seems vain to attempt minute enquiry into it: and such tricks have been played with their text, and with the texts of other books relating to them, that we have a right, from that cause, to entertain much doubt what parts of them are genuine. In the New Testament there is internal evidence that parts of it have proceeded from an extraordinary man; and that other parts are of the fabric of very inferior minds. It is as easy to separate those parts, as to pick out diamonds from dunghills.

-Thomas Jefferson, letter to John Adams, January 24, 1814
QuoteQuote:
Among the sayings and discourses imputed to him [Jesus] by his biographers, I find many passages of fine imagination, correct morality, and of the most lovely benevolence; and others again of so much ignorance, so much absurdity, so much untruth, charlatanism, and imposture, as to pronounce it impossible that such contradictions should have proceeded from the same being.

-Thomas Jefferson, letter to William Short, April 13, 1820

Last edited by ihasa; 09-27-2012 at 07:15 AM.
09-27-2012, 07:53 AM   #36
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
While we are on the subject, perhaps that Mormon doctrine is right. Sen. Brown says you can tell Ms. Warren is not of Cherokee descent a by looking at her. He says she is not a "person of color." She is defended by the Principal Chief of the Cherokee Nation:

Chief Baker is 1/32 Cherokee.

Last edited by GeneV; 09-27-2012 at 08:01 AM.
09-27-2012, 08:02 AM   #37
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
While we are on the subject, perhaps that Mormon doctrine is right. Sen. Brown says you can tell Ms. Warren is not of Cherokee descent a by looking at her. He says she is not a "person of color." She is defended by the Principal Chief of the Cherokee Nation:

Chief Baker is 1/32 Cherokee.
Perhaps he got a blood transfusion from an Elder on a mission.

09-27-2012, 08:13 AM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Perhaps he got a blood transfusion from an Elder on a mission.
His transfusion came from 31 other ancestors.

We have similar stories in our family as were told to Ms. Warren. Anyone with a clue about the Cherokee tribe knows that there are few "pure blood" members of the Cherokee tribes, and appearance is an ignorant way to judge genealogy an call someone a liar. One of the three main tribes does not have a land base.

Last edited by GeneV; 09-27-2012 at 08:39 AM.
09-27-2012, 08:23 AM   #39
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

We have similar stories in our family as were told to Ms. Warren. Anyone with a clue about the Cherokee tribe knows that there are few "pure blood" members of the Cherokee tribes, and appearance is an ignorant way to judge genealogy. One of the three main tribes does not have a land base.
Sorry I didn't include the . I was just being a wise ass...

Can't Stop Being Sarcastic - Video Clips - South Park Studios

Last edited by boriscleto; 09-27-2012 at 08:32 AM.
09-27-2012, 08:41 AM   #40
Veteran Member

His transfusion came from 31 other ancestors.

We have similar stories in our family as were told to Ms. Warren. Anyone with a clue about the Cherokee tribe knows that there are few "pure blood" members of the Cherokee tribes, and appearance is an ignorant way to judge genealogy. One of the three main tribes does not have a land base.
But I suspect that you (rightly) don't fill out your race as 'Native American' on those forms, or self-identify as a 'person of color' ()

Elizabeth Warren seems a nice person to me, and I hope that her mistake was 'youthful enthusiasm' at identifying herself as of Native American descent, rather than a cynical attempt to gain advantage. (Who wouldn't think that was a cool thing to be, so long as you didn't actually have to live with any negative consequences of it?)
09-27-2012, 08:44 AM   #41
Veteran Member

1. Warren listed herself as a minority. The Association of American Law Schools (AALS) directory included, as of its 1986-87 edition, a list of "minority law teachers." Warren, then at the University of Texas, was on the list. Moving to the University of Pennsylvania the next year, she continued to be on the minority list through the directory's 1994-95 edition. The later years of her listing coincided with her recruitment by Harvard Law School, initially as a visiting professor.

5. Warren doesn't appear to fit Harvard's definition of minority. In one document published in 1997, Harvard published details of its affirmative action plan. It defined a native American as “a person having origins in any of the original peoples of North America and who maintains cultural identification through tribal affiliation or community recognition." The document said this definition is consistent with federal regulations.

Warren has cited family lore of Cherokee and Delaware heritage on her mother's side of the family. But genealogists have not been able to confirm any ties. Warren is not known to have maintained any cultural affiliation, such as with a tribe.

6. She stopped listing herself as a minority. Warren's listing as a minority teacher in the AALS directory ended with the 1994-95 edition, when she was at the University of Pennsylvania and being recruited by Harvard. Early on in the controversy, Warren said her goal in the minority listing was to meet others with a similar background, and when such social contacts didn't develop she dropped the listing.

Throughout the controversy, Democrats have backed Warren even as her actions have drawn fire from native Americans including members of the Cherokee Nation of Oklahoma.

Elizabeth Warren and Cherokee heritage: what is known about allegations - CSMonitor.com

She has always said that she never used her " Native American" heritage to her advantage but she sure stopped using it when she applied to a school that would actually require her to prove it. This under my book is wrong if you claim to be a minority you should continue to claim it even if you have to meet criteria in order to be granted that status not just when it's convenient for you to get jobs.
09-27-2012, 08:46 AM   #42
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Sorry I didn't include the . I was just being a wise ass...

Can't Stop Being Sarcastic - Video Clips - South Park Studios
I know, and I was just doing the same.

As an aside, my brother had a dark complexion and thick, straight hair when we were young. My sister was pale white and blond. Same ancestors (only legend as to the Cherokee), but Scott Brown would probably believe my brother had a drop of Cherokee blood and call my sister a liar.
09-27-2012, 08:47 AM   #43
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I know, and I was just doing the same.

As an aside, my brother has a dark complexion and has thick, straight hair. My sister is pale white and blond. Same ancestors (only legend as to the Cherokee), but Scott Brown would probably believe my brother had a drop of Cherokee blood and call my sister a liar.
My grandfather thought he might have some native blood because he had bushy eyebrows. He never looked anything but Irish to me.
09-27-2012, 09:10 AM   #44
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gokenin Quote
She has always said that she never used her " Native American" heritage to her advantage but she sure stopped using it when she applied to a school that would actually require her to prove it. This under my book is wrong if you claim to be a minority you should continue to claim it even if you have to meet criteria in order to be granted that status not just when it's convenient for you to get jobs.
So she answered truthfully to the best of her knowledge each time. When informed that the question involved criteria she knew did not apply, she answered "no." When she was asked about her heritage in the '80s, she answered truthfully based upon what she had been told. No one has yet shown it is not true.

The Chief of one of the three Cherokee tribes would not even qualify as a member of one of the others. There is no minimum standard of blood for one of the three tribes. Ms. Warren happens to come from Oklahoma, where two of the Cherokee tribes are headquartered. It is perfectly reasonable for her to believe and re-tell what her parents told her. There has never been a whiff of evidence she got preferential treatment or lied. What she listed as her heritage 20 years ago is a non-issue which reeks of desperation and bad faith. However, lying about whether you said in a debate that you could tell her ethnicity by looking at her....
09-27-2012, 10:40 AM   #45
Veteran Member

So if I am reading this right you think it's ok to lie on an application to state you are a protected minority even though you have no proof of it? Then to change your ethnic classification when you know you can't qualify for that minority status? Doesn't that mean you were lying on one of them? If not then why don't we all claim to be Native American since evidently according to you there is at least one nation that requires no proof of ancestors.
Closed Thread