Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
09-22-2012, 07:43 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Religion and the race

due to some peoples "sensitivity" to the subject I had a hard time bringing it up. BUT after a good deal of thought (a whole 10 minutes) I decided, in the light of the "Obama is a Muslim"
rhetoric it is a valid question and possibly more so:

Does Romney perceive himself as the Mormon answer to their prophecies of being the de-facto savior of the Constitution.??

I AM inclined to believe it plays a part in his "philosophy".. but hopefully it is not as ingrained as some others believe..
(disclaimer: this source is in the throws of being tried by the Mormon hierarchy for apostasy)

Food for thought:

Mitt Romney, Mormon

THE LAST thing this world needs is another theocracy..............

but judge for yourself...........a lot there to digest.

Added thought:

QuoteQuote:
We believe in the literal gathering of Israel and in the restoration of the Ten Tribes; that Zion (the New Jerusalem) will be built upon the American continent; that Christ will reign personally upon the earth; and, that the earth will be renewed and receive its paradisaical glory.

During Christ’s millennial reign there will be two seats of government, one in Jerusalem, Israel, and one in New Jerusalem on the American Continent:

And many nations shall come, and say, Come, and let us go up to the mountain of the Lord, and to the house of the God of Jacob; and he will teach us of his ways, and we will walk in his paths: for the law shall go forth of Zion, and the word of the Lord from Jerusalem (Micah 4:2).

“My cities through prosperity shall yet be spread abroad; and the Lord shall yet comfort Zion, and shall yet choose Jerusalem” (Zechariah 1:17).

“And it shall come to pass in the last days, that the mountain of the Lord’s house shall be established . . . And many people shall go and say, Come ye, and let us go up to the mountain of the Lord, to the house of the God of Jacob; and he will teach us of his ways, and we will walk in his paths: for out of Zion shall go forth the law, and the word of the Lord from Jerusalem” (Isaiah 2:2-3).

The Book of Mormon prophet, Ether, clearly foretold that there would be two world cities during the millennium from which the law and the gospel would go forth:
http://www.mormonwiki.com/Zion

I'm kind of sorry I went down this "rabbit hole"...............
QuoteQuote:
It is only American power—conceived in the broadest terms—that can provide the foundation for an international system that ensures the security and prosperity of the United States and our friends and allies.
http://www.mittromney.com/collection/foreign-policy

Last edited by jeffkrol; 09-22-2012 at 10:15 AM.
09-22-2012, 07:20 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Mitt Romney's Role as Mormon Bishop Shows His Extremist Religious Beliefs | Alternet

QuoteQuote:
Mormon theology—its view of God, the afterlife or Joseph Smith’s revelation—is not at issue here. The issue is whether a President Romney would be able to separate his actions as president from Mormon doctrines about how to live on this planet.
09-23-2012, 02:31 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Well, Romney's remarks on foreign policy are nothing that different than the the neocon agenda (influenced by Evangelical Christians and Zionists) that's been a tenet of the GOP for ages.

I think it's sufficient to point at the deficiencies in the policies without pointing to some sort of Mormon hidden agenda'. I don't have any love for the Church of LDS, but I do feel that a man like Mitt would be able to put to one side any ideas of literally pursuing the implementation of 'Mormon prophesy', although he's bound to be guided by certain Mormon 'values' to an extent.

I don't think Democrats should touch these sorts of lines of attack with a bargepole. Yes the Republican went balls-out with their false 'Muslim' and 'Marxist' accusations on Obama, which was a disgrace; but the Dems should not descend to their level to make similar attacks on Mitt. In not doing so, it's an opportunity for Dems to show some character.

Last edited by ihasa; 09-23-2012 at 04:50 AM.
09-23-2012, 05:33 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ihasa Quote

I don't think Democrats should touch these sorts of lines of attack with a bargepole. Yes the Republican went balls-out with their false 'Muslim' and 'Marxist' accusations on Obama, which was a disgrace; but the Dems should not descend to their level to make similar attacks on Mitt. In not doing so, it's an opportunity for Dems to show some character.
I agree but in some respects that is an "Achilles heel" type problem............

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/23/us/politics/ralph-reed-hopes-to-nudge-mitt...pagewanted=all

I mentioned "losing" as the more honorable position on foreign policy but not sure it should hold domestically..

what really is interesting is the apparent complete disdain between Romney and "brother". Reid... Seems to go much beyond just policy.. but I could be wrong..

Left, right, center romney is fairly opaque.. why??? As w/ his taxes and the closeted admittance that "we" wouldn't like them.. what else wouldn't "we" like???

Sorry just starting to try and connecting some real or imaginary dots here.. no more no less..

AS a discussion point:
Utah Local News - Salt Lake City News, Sports, Archive - The Salt Lake Tribune

As my point goes.. the Constitution and separation of church and state may just be "hanging by a thread"...........

Second point wouldn't a Romney presidency in some regards actually fulfill the prophecy????

White Horse Prophecy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

QuoteQuote:
Mitt Romney

In 2007, US presidential candidate Mitt Romney told the Salt Lake Tribune that "I haven't heard my name associated with [the White Horse Prophecy] or anything of that nature. That's not official church doctrine.... I don't put that at the heart of my religious belief."
IF that says "I believe it is bunk" to you.. raise your hand..

Certainly the discussion is not ready for prime time...........

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0512/76776.html

QuoteQuote:
Mitt Romney wants voters to see him as the man to save the economy and right the country, the redeeming American hero riding in on the proverbial white horse.

Just not that White Horse.
Read more: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0512/76776.html#ixzz27IPSqvLN
QuoteQuote:
It is well-known to many church members, and continues to be an active topic of conversation among Mormons today. That sense echoes through the speeches of Mormon leaders and the beliefs of rank-and-file church members, including top LDS leaders in the church and politics. Among them: Romney’s father, who said at the outset of his own presidential run that he believed in the special role Mormons had to play in preserving the Constitution.

If Mitt Romney believed that himself, he would be much like most other members of his faith. He’s mentioned the divine influence on the Constitution several times on the campaign trail—as when a woman accused Obama of treason and asked whether Romney would “restore our Constitution,” Romney responded, “I happen to believe that the Constitution was not just brilliant, but probably inspired.”

His campaign didn’t respond to requests for elaboration.
QuoteQuote:
But “it will be preserved and saved by the efforts of the White Horse,” who will “stand by the Constitution of the United States as it was given by the inspiration of God.” There will be a Black Horse — American blacks, as the text is commonly interpreted — that sides with England and France, but eventually they’ll all submit to the White Horse as the religion fulfills its world-conquering destiny in an Armageddon-style war with the Russians—while keeping an eye on the looming threat of China.
Read more: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0512/76776.html#ixzz27IQFiCfW

IS THIS why Mitt believes Russia is our "greatest enemy"??????????????????????

I'm not taking any comfort in what I'm finding........
QuoteQuote:
The Romney campaign didn’t respond to questions about whether he puts any stock in the White Horse prophecy, his own take on the idea of the Constitution hanging by a thread or whether he agrees with the interpretation offered by his father....................“You’ll hear people say Romney has a special role to play, but the rhetoric is virtually indistinguishable from general partisan rhetoric,” said Joanna Brooks, a Mormon writer and progressive Democrat. She said she’s heard the White Horse come up in her San Diego LDS ward and elsewhere but attributes that to most Mormons tilting toward the GOP rather than the prophecy. “Is this special Mormon influence, or is this just the way Republicanism sounds these days?”

Read more: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0512/76776_Page3.html#ixzz27IRuOoVr
BOTTOM LINE:
I'm not happy w/ his non-answers.........and I think there ARE questions to ask.......

hmm seems to be some "cosmic overlap" going on............

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/09/21/1134705/-Demanding-Romney-s-Positio...-Ethical-Smart
My Obama-hating GOP mother noted today that Romney's religion just "hasn't been an issue."

QuoteQuote:
Strange that the so-called "liberal media" gives Romney a free pass when some of his fellow Mormon congregants have explicitly embraced the "White Horse Prophecy?"

JFK had to clarify that he would not be taking orders from the Pope.

Asking Romney to clarify his position on the Mormon faith that is allegedly so important to him, is not unfair, takes him of his game even more than he's done himself, and will surely leave seeds of doubt in some voters minds. Are there any secret video recordings out there of Romney, proclaiming, "I am the chosen one, as foreseen by our holy prophet, Joseph Smith?"

Heck, if the media badgers Obama to show his damn birth certificate, they should make 100% certain that conservatives aren't considering voting for a candidate with bizarre visions of the apocalypse.

Judging by the GOP Convention downplaying memories of Bush-Cheney, forcing Romney to embrace- or reject- the Bush administration's legacy & disastrous foreign policy would not hurt either.

As I wrote yesterday,
you can bet if they were Mormons, Obama or any high-profile Democratic Congressional candidates, would be hounded by the press until they publicly denounced polygamy and the "White Horse Prophecy," even if the LDS Church does not- any longer- "officially" embrace either, and still 40% of the GOP would believe Obama had multiple wives.

They would be put on the defensive, and some percentage of the population with would be turned off by the suspicion created by the question. Given that the GOP is aggressively trying to illegally suppress a significant amount of liberal voters, Democrats must mercilessly use every legal tool available to crush support for Romney.

Last edited by jeffkrol; 09-23-2012 at 05:58 AM.
09-23-2012, 06:04 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Tamron Hall And Guest: Romney’s Silence Leading To Concerns With Mormon ‘White Horse’ Prophecy | Mediaite

EVEN saying "God inspired the Constitution" should be enough to disqualify one for president.. It does not say "WE the people (and God).................

for a view from a more radical side;
http://johnthewitness.wordpress.com/2012/05/07/mitt-romney-and-mormon-prophecy/

a bit more:
QuoteQuote:
Historian Will Bagley, who has written more than a dozen books on Mormonism, points out that "in the Mormon sacred geography, America is essentially God's favourite place in the world. God helped create the constitution and the American Republic so the gospel could be restored under Joseph Smith".

These sentiments are echoed by Mitt Romney, who has said that he believes the American constitution was divinely inspired, and who speaks often of American exceptionalism, the unique destiny and role of the US in the world.

Although Mormonism is an American religion, Smith and his followers, many converts who had arrived from Europe, encountered hostility wherever they settled. As a result of clashes over land, political power and religious beliefs they were forced to move from Ohio to Missouri and then to Nauvoo, Illinois. In Illinois, Smith began preaching the radical doctrine of plural marriage, or polygamy. By some accounts, he married more than 30 women.

Plural marriage became a huge scandal, and Smith shut down a newspaper that exposed his practice of polygamy. In the controversy that followed, Smith was arrested for treason and put in a jail with his brother in Carthage, Illinois. The jail was stormed by an angry mob that included members of an Illinois militia that was supposed to be guarding Smith, and he was murdered.

Many thought that with Smith gone, Mormonism would vanish. But instead, as Bagley says, the mob "created an American martyr". Today, the LDS church has some 14 million members worldwide and is the richest per capita in the US. It sends out more than 50,000 missionaries a year to convert people to Mormonism.

Richard Hinckley, an emeritus member of the LDS Church's General Authority, says that Mormons place a high value on proselytising because they believe they are helping to save mankind. About 70 per cent of American Mormons are supporters of the Republican party, reflecting a church leadership that Bagley says "sees the world in corporate American terms, because they're attorneys, they're executives".

Although the LDS church excommunicates those who practice polygamy today, there are some 40,000 fundamentalist Mormons involved in plural marriages in the US. Joe Darger, who lives with his three wives and 18 children about 30 miles from Salt Lake City, says that the church would prefer he did not exist, but he believes many members of the church still subscribe to the view that there will be plural marriage in heaven because "it is still in their scriptures and still part of their doctrine".

According to the original Mormon theology revealed by Joseph Smith, Darger says, men also have the ability to progress and become gods living with God in heaven..............Today, Romney faces the same challenge John F. Kennedy did in 1960 - convincing voters that he will not be beholden to leaders of his church. One in five voters said they would not vote for Kennedy because they were afraid he would take orders from the Pope - the same percentage who now say they would not vote for a Mormon for president.

Richard Hinckley says there would not be discussions between a President Romney and LDS church leaders over policy. "It won't happen," he says. "First of all he's too smart to do that. Secondly, our leaders are far too smart to engage in that."

Romney has done his best to avoid all discussion of his Mormon faith in the 2012 race. According to Phil Barlow, a professor of religion at Utah State University who was a counselor to Romney when he was a bishop in the Boston area, Romney and his campaign regard any speech about his faith as a "lose, lose situation".

Pollster Robert Jones, head of the Public Religion Research Institute in Washington, DC, argues that Romney has a more difficult challenge than Kennedy did in 1960. "In 1960 it was enough to say I believe in the separation of church and state," Jones says. "Today the American public does really want to see, 'Okay that's great. But what will you be doing with your faith?... I think that's the question Romney is still working his way toward answering."

Jones believes that if Romney is the Republican nominee for president, which seems likely, his Mormonism could be "the x-factor" that costs him the election in a tight race against Barack Obama for the White House in November.
http://www.aljazeera.com/programmes/peopleandpower/2012/04/201244114433199395.html

http://christiannewstoday.com/Christian_News_Report_900205.html
QuoteQuote:
I think we can all agree that it is important that the leader of the free world possesses the ability to discern fact from fiction. Otherwise, if he has lived a life of deception, we can conclude that he will continue to be deceived and that his judgment may be distorted. Because the wisdom, judgment and discernment of our President may be crucial to our survival, would it not be prudent to examine his fundamental foundation and beliefs? And if his beliefs are distorted, why would it not be critical to our existence to protect our country from being placed in the hands of such a person?

Last edited by jeffkrol; 09-23-2012 at 06:22 AM.
09-23-2012, 06:21 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jeffkrol Quote
They would be put on the defensive, and some percentage of the population with would be turned off by the suspicion created by the question. Given that the GOP is aggressively trying to illegally suppress a significant amount of liberal voters, Democrats must mercilessly use every legal tool available to crush support for Romney
Nice ... but that about sizes up how it goes around here 24/7/365
09-23-2012, 06:31 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
A 'divine hand' in Games? | Deseret News
QuoteQuote:
To hear Bullock talk, you'd never know there was any concern about Salt Lake City's Games, once tarnished by the so-called bribery scandal, being branded as the Mormon Olympics.

Bullock, a graduate of the LDS Church-owned private school, reminded students that early church leader Brigham Young made this proclamation to Utah's pioneers: "Kings and emperors and the noble and wise of the Earth will visit us here."

"During the Games we had over 140 dignitaries from around the world, in addition to our own president, vice president and almost all of his Cabinet," Bullock said.

In a church conference a few months after the Games, Bullock recalled, LDS Church President Gordon B. Hinckley said that "we have witnessed the fulfillment of that prophecy in these recent days."

"In my opinion," said Bullock, who also gave an Olympic torch to the school, "a change has occurred around the world regarding the perception of the church, the reverberations from which we will not fully comprehend for years to come."
not seeing the forest for the trees???

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/07/28/1114551/-2002-SLC-Olympics-were-ful...-was-in-charge

Never underestimate the power of religion.. like in Libya eh.........

http://www.democraticunderground.com/1002688017

QuoteQuote:
Romney avoids mentioning it, but Joseph Smith ran for president in 1844 as an independent Commander in Chief of an “army of God” advocating the overthrow of the U.S. government in favor of a Mormon-ruled theocracy. Challenging Democrat, James Polk and Whig, Henry Clay – Smith prophesied that if the U.S. Congress did not accede to his demands that “they shall be broken up as a government and God shall damn them.” Smith viewed capturing the presidency as part of the mission of the church. Smith’s insertion of religion into politics and his call for a “theodemocracy where God and people hold the power to conduct the affairs of men in righteous matters” created a sensation and drew hostility from the outside world. But his candidacy was cut short when he was shot to death by an anti-Mormon vigilante mob. Out of Smith’s national political ambitions grew what would become known in Mormon circles as the “White Horse Prophecy” — a belief ingrained in Mormon culture and passed down through generations by church leaders that the day would come when the U.S. Constitution would “hang like a thread as fine as a silk fiber” and the Mormon priesthood would save it. Mitt Romney views the American presidency as a theological office.
Mitt Romney views the American presidency as a theological office.

I'm not finding anything that denies that truth..............

QuoteQuote:
"Mitt Romney and I watched this and commented that this was like a divine punctuation mark of who is really in charge."
http://www.deseretnews.com/article/940380/A-divine-hand-in-Games.html?pg=2

for later:
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2012/08/07/exclusive-brigham-young-s-g...tt-romney.html

Last edited by jeffkrol; 09-23-2012 at 07:44 AM.
09-23-2012, 07:12 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Let the Christian Right do what they do best re Romney's faith. There's no need for progressives to go near that stinking 'my sky-daddy's better than your sky-daddy' quagmire. That's the preserve of the right wing. Mercilessly use every legal tool available to support Romney? No. Show the way to a better politics, based on helping voters understand the issues, debating the policies... that's what they should do.
09-23-2012, 07:51 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ihasa Quote
Let the Christian Right do what they do best re Romney's faith. There's no need for progressives to go near that stinking 'my sky-daddy's better than your sky-daddy' quagmire. That's the preserve of the right wing. Mercilessly use every legal tool available to support Romney? No. Show the way to a better politics, based on helping voters understand the issues, debating the policies... that's what they should do.
i hope you are right..
Unfortunately that "logical approach" has been known to fail.. esp. in America..

MY point is Romney is not showing his "sky daddy" isn't directing policy... plain and simple;
Exclusive: Brigham Young?s Great-Great-Granddaughter on Mormonism and Mitt Romney - The Daily Beast
QuoteQuote:
Emmett says she thinks Romney’s biggest fault is that he has a “serious problem telling the truth. There is flip-flopping, which he has done more than any politician in modern history, and then there is out and out lying,” she says. “This kind of thing has sadly been a part of the church from the very beginning. Some modern apostles actually taught that it is not always the best thing to tell the truth if it interferes with preaching gospel.”

Emmett says the notion of “Lying for the Lord,” as it has been called, implies that teaching the whole truth about the church should be avoided. At a presentation on Lying for the Lord at the 2008 Exmormon Foundation conference, Ken Clark addressed the issue. Clark, who worked as a teacher for the LDS Church Education System (CES) for 27 years and also served as a bishop before leaving the church in 2003, tells The Daily Beast, “Lying has become an institutionalized method of administrative control with the church.”

“Every Mormon grows up with the idea that it’s OK to lie if it’s for a higher cause,” says Clark, who now works for a company that markets employment and labor market data. “But what happens is when this becomes a part of your ethical tool kit, you develop a condescending attitude toward people. Like Ann Romney saying 'you people.’ This idea of lying for the Lord gives you license to place people on an inferior level. It’s OK for Mitt Romney to ignore the principle of full disclosure because it’s in his DNA. Look what he’s doing with his taxes, and how he talks only in generic and sanitized terms about his religion.”

But church spokeswoman Ruth Todd says there is no merit to Clark's accusations.

“To assert that there is a culture of dishonesty or deception in the church is both woefully uninformed and ridiculous," Todd says. "The pursuit of truth is at the heart of who we are. Mormon women around the world participate actively in our church because we find value and truth in the doctrines, structure and deep meaning provided by the gospel of Jesus Christ that is at the core of our faith. All church members are encouraged to study for themselves and develop their own convictions about the church and its teachings.”

When Clark left the church, he says, Emmett was of "great help to me. She is one of best people I know. She is very courageous and compassionate."

And Emmett, despite her issues with Romney and the church, does not want to be cast as a Mormon hater. She says that while she strongly disagrees with many of the tenets and practices of Mormonism, most Mormons are kind, honest people.

“Many of my children and other family members are still devout Mormons, and I want to be sensitive to their beliefs and I have no desire to hurt them,” says Emmett. “It’s been hard for me. It was my entire life for 50 years. I was very sincere and devout for a very long time. But as a feminist and someone who believes that you should be allowed to say what you really feel, I had to leave.
how do facts and policy fight this;
QuoteQuote:
On Mitt Romney: I will be very general here, I think Romney, i like many of us people (not just mormons) sees a country that is hurting. Now, I think that everyone can agree that Mitt Romney is good at managing his wealth. It doesn't matter if you think he is evil because of his money or if you think he's a "good steward" because if it, you pretty much have to agree that he is good at making money and right now our country could use someone who is good at making money and getting rid of debt. Obama has been really good at spending money and has been really bad at spending money well.

I'll end by saying, I do believe the church is true, by which I mean I believe it is an actual restoration of the church that Jesus Christ established when he lived on the Earth. I believe that Christ is the son of God. I believe that the Sacrifice of Christ makes it possible for me to be forgiven of my misdeeds and I also believe that His complete Atonement for mankind makes it possible for all people to be resurrected after they die - not like zombies. I believe that because this church has the real priesthood authority (that "power" the 12 year old boys get) that ordinances can be performed on earth that will last for eternity. I know that when I read from the scriptures frequently, and take time to pray to my father in heaven, that my life is happier, and have more gratitude for all that I have, and I am better equipped to deal with the stressful curve balls that life can throw at us.That's all i have to say.
09-23-2012, 08:35 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
THINK..SSDD
Prophetic warnings - Ezra Taft Benson LDS President 1965...
QuoteQuote:
anti spiritual decisions of the supreme court
QuoteQuote:
Help to save your soul.. and maybe your country........
09-23-2012, 10:08 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I presume you've seen Romney's 'Faith in America' speech from 2007? It's the kind of thing that makes me want to vomit usually, but Mitt does at least confirm that like JFK, he would put faith issues to one side as President and try and serve American people of all faiths. He has done that in the past as governor. The problem isn't Mitt's faith. It's where the GOP is coming from these days.
09-23-2012, 10:20 AM - 1 Like   #12
Veteran Member

How we have changed in 50 years

The Press
Then
The Washington Post was equally intolerant of religious prejudice. In a Sept. 2, 1960, editorial titled “Debasement of Politics,” the Post called religious attacks “bilge.” The paper declared: “It is hard to gauge the influence of this kind of material in a political campaign. Probably it evokes a response only in those who want to believe it – that is, in those whose prejudices make them hospitable to such appeals. It is doubtful that this kind of appeal can be countered on any rational basis. But there can be no doubt whatsoever that it debases the political process and does irreparable damage to the fabric of social unity.”

Now
In a June 18, 2011, editorial ostensibly decrying prejudice against Mormons, The Washington Post expressed disdain for the Mormon church, complaining: “There’s plenty about Mormonism that might strike a non-believer as strange or objectionable. Is it literally true that an angel helped Joseph Smith find a sacred book made of golden plates in rural New York almost 200 years ago? It is not to the church’s credit that it fought same-sex marriage in California or that it banned African Americans from its clergy

Television then
Nor was disapproval of religious bigotry confined to print outlets in 1960. NBC contributors also decried religious bigotry. On the April 24, 1960, telecast of the NBC program “Meet the Press,” reporter John Steele asked the Democratic presidential candidate from 1956, Adlai Stevenson: “Governor, there is one other issue, a dark and ominous one, which seems to hang over the whole business of selecting a president this year. It is the issue of religion. Has this really got any place in the business of politics?” On Nov. 6, 1960, Nixon’s campaign manager, Leonard Hall, was asked on “Meet the Press” to condemn anti-Catholic literature circulated by groups unaffiliated with the Republican campaign.

Television Now
Nor has religious bigotry been confined to print. MSNBC, the left-wing sister network of NBC News, has attacked Mormons on numerous occasions. MSNBC “The Last Word” host Lawrence O’Donnell mocked Mormonism on April 3, 2012, as being “created by a guy in upstate New York in 1830 when he got caught having sex with the maid and explained to his wife that God told him to do it.” (O’Donnell was forced to apologize for his comments.)

MSNBC “Hardball” host Chris Matthews portrayed Catholics and Mormons as “cultists” on March 13, 2012, and declared: “They are willing to outsource [defeating the President] to a Mormon ... It's almost like calling up India or somewhere in the third world to get your computer fixed. You don't care who's fixing it, just fix the damn computer.”

On Feb. 28, 2012, MSNBC contributor and Salon.com editor Joan Walsh mocked Mitt Romney’s faith over Twitter. (Walsh initially tried to defend her comments, but later apologized.) On April 19, 2012, MSNBC anchor Martin Bashir snidely cited the Book of Mormon to declare Mitt Romney as a liar in danger of damnation: “Given what the Book of Mormon is clearly saying, Mr. Romney has but two choices. He can either keep lying and potentially win the White House, but bring eternal damnation on himself, or he can start telling the truth.”

When Sen. John F. Kennedy ran for president in 1960, the major news outlets urged voters to see him not for his faith, but for who he was. It was a major moment for journalism. Had news outlets embraced bigotry against Kennedy, perhaps he would never have even won election.

But in 2012, that history is lost on many in the news media. While the outlets might still be pretending they have a similar mindset, they do not. Journalists have repeatedly underlined Mitt Romney’s Mormon faith – far more than they have for candidates of other religions – as a shorthand way to set him apart. And news outlets have done far worse, serving as mouthpieces for anti-Mormon hate and embracing it themselves.

Anti-Mormon bigotry is even more inexcusable coming from journalists who claim to revere the memory of John F. Kennedy. MSNBC’s Chris Matthews wrote a book extolling the virtues of the Catholic John F. Kennedy, yet emulated anti-Kennedy bigots by labeling Romney a “cultist.”

JFK and Mitt: The Media?s Double Standard on Faith | NewsBusters.org

I just find it funny that all the attacks against him are being made by that ALL INCLUSIVE WE LOVE EVERYONE DEMOCRATIC PARTY MEMBERS. You sit there and attack the Republican Party for being the party of bigots well all I can say is look into mirror it takes one to know one as the old saying goes.
09-23-2012, 10:39 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think I should make the point that the views of Romney and the Mormons are not in line with the rest of the Christian Church and Mormons are considered a cult by many. Bible scholars will quickly point out that America is absent from end time prophesy in the Bible and most will admit that America is either gone or insignificant by that time. Many have made fools of themselves trying to interpret end time prophesy and apply it to current events.
09-23-2012, 10:40 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Actually and again it has nothing to do w/ his "religion"... but "him" and his "religion"... lets shift gears a bit:

Texas Gov. Rick Perry Wants ?Christian Warriors? to Defeat Church-State ?Iron Curtain?
QuoteQuote:
“This separation of church and state, which has been driven by the secularists to remove those people of faith from the public arena, there is nothing farther from the truth,” growled Perry. “When you think about our founding fathers, they created this country, our Constitution, the foundation of America upon Judeo-Christian values, biblical values and this narrative that has been going on, particularly since the ’60s, that somehow or another there’s this steel wall, this iron curtain or whatever you want to call it, between the church and people of faith and this separation of church and state is just false on its face.

“The idea that we should be sent to the sidelines, I would suggest to you, is very driven by those who are not truthful,” the governor continued. “Satan runs across the world with his doubt and with his untruths and what have you and one of the untruths out there is driven – is that people of faith should not be involved in the public arena.

Perry went on to implore listeners who “truly are Christian warriors, Christian soldiers” to stand up to “activist courts” and “President Obama and his cronies” whom he said are making “efforts to remove any trace of religion from American life.” He also called for a fight against the “growing tide of secularism and atheism.”
There is NOTHING more "original-ist" constitutional and FOUNDING principal that the federal separation of church and state..

ANYTHING less is anti-American..............what ever "deity" you believe in........or not.

QuoteQuote:
On Feb. 28, 2012, MSNBC contributor and Salon.com editor Joan Walsh mocked Mitt Romney’s faith over Twitter. (Walsh initially tried to defend her comments, but later apologized.) On April 19, 2012, MSNBC anchor Martin Bashir snidely cited the Book of Mormon to declare Mitt Romney as a liar in danger of damnation: “Given what the Book of Mormon is clearly saying, Mr. Romney has but two choices. He can either keep lying and potentially win the White House, but bring eternal damnation on himself, or he can start telling the truth.

THAT is not "mocking faith" but asking for an answer to a question... Guess he could have asked it more "eloquently"...

BTW: more anti-american.. you know end of us wrapped in a flag carrying a cross type truthy-ness..........

Last edited by jeffkrol; 09-23-2012 at 10:50 AM.
09-23-2012, 10:53 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
to put it another way.. If "mittens" was the local produce clerk or banker.. I could give a rats.. a$$ about his religion, as long as he doesn't try to "save me".............see big tent..

I'm awaiting Mitts moment.....................yes there are lessons for both sides...

OHH SOO close.. but sooo far (I'm doing your job):
The God who gave us liberty...................

"We the people" gave us liberty.. not God............................I find little comfort in his preachyness.......

Last edited by jeffkrol; 09-23-2012 at 11:10 AM.
Closed Thread