Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-06-2008, 10:08 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think both sides need to STFU and go take some damn pictures.

02-06-2008, 10:37 AM   #32
Igilligan

Chris... you are a moderator

QuoteOriginally posted by codiac2600 Quote
The GX20 will sell for $1399 US cash money... so $100 more than the K20D. Why? Because I got off the phone with the Samsung rep and the actual dealer cost is $100 more than the K20D. Go figure right

So how much better do you feel now that you you've singled out a group of people trying to shame them for being/enthusiastic happy?

There will always be people who want to know a little more about something they enjoy be it cars, food, sports, movies, cameras and with the advent of the internet they can easily spread their knowledge with the rest of the people who are supposedly enthusiastic with the same products as they are.

All this complaining will only end when you're the only human left on earth because everyone has differing opinions on any given subject and when someone blips in that somethign is stupid without a valid point someone will always blip right back in using some sort of fact or number to squash the OP.

So to answer your question just kill everyone in the world but yourself to fix any problem you have and if you find that it may get boring then save a few people who have the exact same feelings towards everything that you do.
Wow,
I think this has been a fairly reasonable thread up till now.
If you are so upset you want the OP to start killing people maybe you should have addressed them in a PM. It's all about tone. 8^)

gus
02-06-2008, 10:43 AM   #33
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
After the beta testers (A.K.A. Early Adopters) have had their go at it, I'll likely be buying the K20D--not the GX20.

Generally, I will choose electronics from the company which designs them rather than (what are essentially) rebranded versions, and in this particular case, following that policy seems highly appropriate. Given Pentax's current, somewhat precarious position in the market right now, I think it's important to help them reap the maximum reward for their newly developed sensor. Additionally, Samsung can well afford to offer their version for a lower price given that they are a significantly larger company; and their technological contribution to the creation of the camera, and all the cost associated with that, is significantly smaller. Given this, and assuming the price difference between the Pentax and Samsung models wasn't staggering, I wouldn't mind paying more for the K20D.

But while I'm at it, I'll address the issue of Pentax brand loyalty.

I think that rabid loyalty to Pentax is often a conditioned response to the persistent undermining of the choice to use Pentax equipment by...just about everybody. From the sales staff at the camera shops, to fellow photographers, to participants in Internet forums, the Pentax user will wade through efforts to deride his/her equipment as well as the judgement used in choosing it. What's worse is that this derision is motivated primarily on a faith-based belief in the inherent superiority of competing products. Given the pervasive anti-Pentax sentiment among many DSLR users (especially among those who have no recollection of Pentax's former status in the market), I don't find the hypersensitivity some exhibit in the face of criticism directed at Pentax to be confusing at all. That being said, this response is irrational.

Sometimes, the dismissive attitude about anything that isn't Canon or Nikon manifests itself in a way so outrageous that even I am compelled to respond. I remember there being a message thread on CNet.com wherein the original poster identified himself as a novice who was on a limited budget (if memory serves, he stated that he had about $1000 to spend) who was seeking advise on what DSLR to buy. Of course, the vast majority of the dozens of respondents recommended Canon and/or Nikon cameras, and some even made it a point to tell him to exclude anything else from consideration. Foolish as these assertions might have been, I was content to continue lurking--that is until one respondent not only made his "Canikon" recommendation, but went so far as to warn that the OP must (now get this) ignore all the advertising hype from the other manufactures and buy what's best.

A flame war ensued.

-XM

Last edited by XMACHINA; 02-06-2008 at 10:45 AM. Reason: style
02-06-2008, 11:00 AM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Igilligan Quote
Wow,
I think this has been a fairly reasonable thread up till now.
If you are so upset you want the OP to start killing people maybe you should have addressed them in a PM. It's all about tone. 8^)

gus
I suppose but when the OP asks for something of the impossible then why not give him and impossible answer... I'd never condone killing anyone, but if the scheme of things how else will one person get his views heard and to have no one question it? The point is that everyone that has tried in influence the masses and make his point the most important has failed even with bloodshed. It was an ironic statement with a deeper meaning and it is that no matter how much you dislike something there will always be people who will take the other side and try and force their views so they can also be heard.

On the reasonable end... personally I feel calling out a singular person out of a mass of pentax fanatics unreasonable or for that matter calling out the mass itself as unreasonable. We all are human with opinions and such that our opinions will differ. This thread is garbage in that sense because it the grand scheme of things all it will do is trying to make a certain group look bad because they have a different opinion or a different style of what they do with their spare time.

02-06-2008, 11:05 AM   #35
Not Registered

QuoteOriginally posted by codiac2600 Quote
I suppose but when the OP asks for something of the impossible then why not give him and impossible answer... I'd never condone killing anyone, but if the scheme of things how else will one person get his views heard and to have no one question it? The point is that everyone that has tried in influence the masses and make his point the most important has failed even with bloodshed. It was an ironic statement with a deeper meaning and it is that no matter how much you dislike something there will always be people who will take the other side and try and force their views so they can also be heard.

On the reasonable end... personally I feel calling out a singular person out of a mass of pentax fanatics unreasonable or for that matter calling out the mass itself as unreasonable. We all are human with opinions and such that our opinions will differ. This thread is garbage in that sense because it the grand scheme of things all it will do is trying to make a certain group look bad because they have a different opinion or a different style of what they do with their spare time.
Son.... are you taking drugs?
02-06-2008, 11:30 PM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GaryML Quote
I have no interest in promoting "my brand" and attacking other brands.
Except that "your brand" is Nikon Nikon Nikon Nikon Nikon Nikon Nikon Nikon Nikon Nikon in basically every possible performance category there is in the digital universal realm compared to Pentax.

And, this is a Pentax forum...
02-07-2008, 12:50 PM   #37
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Wow!

Chris:

How you have managed to twist my words!

I'm not sure what your problem is with my original post, but if you would please read it again, and actually try to understand what I was asking this time, hopefully you'll see your response was inappropriate.

I indeed "singled someone out" (I wasn't aware we couldn't name names here) -someone who is well known on this forum and others. Did I attack him in any way? No. I simply wondered out loud why someone would put hour after hour into answering forum questions about a product. In your case, the answer is obvious. Same with Ben. Not so with many others; there seems to be a number of people that apparently are not in the business of selling cameras who devote a major portion of their free time to responding to questions, and yes, even defending Pentax when they feel the need.

I guess I'll restrict my future posts to the Post Your Photographs forum. I hate to have to check everything I post and worry that someone will read it wrong and feel inclined to get defensive. Life is too short for that cr*p.

02-07-2008, 01:14 PM   #38
Inactive Account

email, blogs and forums are notorious for statements that are meant in one way, (harmless, rhetorical, ironic, sarcastic, etc) are interpreted in exactly an opposite way.

i have made that mistake several time, and like you, have restricted my posts to images and such.

i'm not sure if it is the medium (the written word) the doesnt allow the winks, nudges and nuances to carry through the simplified style of the electronic world. Oscar Wilde, mark Twain, Dorothy Parker, and others skilled in wordplay were seldom misunderstood and could cut, main and entertain at will...(it is also interesting that by adding an "s" to wordplay, it becomes swordplay...a sharp observation...)

Last edited by craftsmansky; 02-07-2008 at 01:16 PM. Reason: grammar
02-07-2008, 02:05 PM   #39
Inactive Account

MESSAGE DELETED -- I'm opting out of this discussion.

Last edited by GaryML; 02-08-2008 at 06:25 PM.
02-07-2008, 03:38 PM   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GaryML Quote
Should I keep it a secret and ignore others who ask if there is something better, just to avoid offending Pentax fanboys?
Sure, it's fine that you find Nikon works better for you. But anyone who finds Pentax works better for him is automatically labeled as a "fanboy"? (not specifically directed to you or for your particular post, but as a comment in general for this thread.)

This is the part I find most annoying.

Because once labeled as a "fanboy", his opinion and experience is basically discredited (unfairly) as blind brand loyalism.