Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-26-2012, 01:59 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Lens Selling Advice please

I've already decided to try selling locally first... but I am a bit concerned about pricing..

How do people decide what a lens is worth, in terms of selling. Do you sell at a percentage of what you paid, originally, or a percentage of the current new price? How to decide?

The two I want to sell (limited primes) are both in excellent near new condition, but I have absolutely no idea how to calculate a fair price, I've only ever bought lenses and rarely sell (now need money and some which have gone unused for 6/12 or more, have to go).

09-26-2012, 02:53 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
The value of anything in a market: secondhand stuff, shares houses etc is what a buyer is willing to pay.

New producers decide prices based on a combination of cost of production and the psychology of product positioning in the market. If they charge too much for the combination of performance and 'cool' associated with their product they do not sell and either must reduce price or stop supplying.

When we sell secondhand stuff the best guide is the prices paid recently in the market. If your lens is reasonably common do an eBay watch on auction sale prices for a little while. Then decide the premium or discount you need to give based on:
1. The condition of your lens
2. How urgently you want to close the deal
3. The size of your local market
4. After sales service you offer - such as return possibilities
You might think of a couple of other factors.

BTW: selling to a friend is bad news: you always feel you gave too much 'friend's discount' and your friend always feels you did not give enough 'friend's discount'. Both are not happy.
09-26-2012, 07:24 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I would look on eBay & then search online camera shops to see if the lenses are selling there & for how much. If there's a camera store near you, you could also call them & inquire what it might be worth. I'd start with an asking price somewhere in the range I found, probably toward the upper end. Then there is room to come down a bit if it doesn't sell right away, & you might make more than you expected.
09-26-2012, 07:36 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thanks, folks (oh yeah, been there done that with selling to friends)

09-27-2012, 03:12 AM   #5
Veteran Member

CollectiBlend: classic, collectible and old cameras price guide.

Collectiblend might give you a starting point ?