Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
09-30-2012, 01:05 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice series, as always, Alex! I especially like the sepia and B/W ones...

QuoteOriginally posted by Alliecat Quote
The sun is kind of behind you, in #5, which may have reduced the polarizer effect... But yes, I think they are still worth using on wide angles because they also enrich other colours; it's not all just about the blue sky. I often use mine for richer colour with rocks & vegetation.
+1. For blue-er skies you should be shooting 90 deg. from the sun, so of course it helps if the sun isn't nearly straight above.

10-08-2012, 11:42 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I want to sincerely apologize for taking such a long hiatus before getting back to your replies - I have been extremely busy since the publication of this update, and everytime I visited because of a new notification, I was further unable to give your replies the attention they deserved.

I have since amassed a bunch of new photos (in addition to the school ones I owe you guys), so there should be some more frequent updates once I figure out how to upload to/from these computers - I have relocated from my small little base mentoring Afghans (more details in the next update).

QuoteOriginally posted by newmikey Quote
As usual, your posts contain compelling images and a breathtaking narrative. Please keep safe!
QuoteOriginally posted by chiem Quote
Great shots! #15 especially.
QuoteOriginally posted by sbc Quote
Beautiful and meaningful photos. Keep safe!!!
QuoteOriginally posted by Nass Quote
Awesome thread and awesome series. Thanks for posting these, and good luck with the new position!
QuoteOriginally posted by mtansley Quote
And again I have to thank you for bringing us images of the 'real' Afghanistan. The one we never hear about except from you.
Keep safe.
QuoteOriginally posted by fuent104 Quote
Inspirational work, as always.
QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
Thanks for this latest installment. Great narrative & photos, as always - and I agree with Crewl1 above. You have a talent with pictures and words. Til next time, thanks again.
Thank you all so very much - I greatly appreciate your very warm regards

QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
Morning, Here is a couple of posts on wide angle and CPLs.

As always, wonderful images and the a great running narrative.....

Stay safe,
Those were some great links! Thanks!

QuoteOriginally posted by smf Quote
Thanks for the great update. Congratulations on your new assignment. Best wishes to you and your comrades for safety and success. Also, best wishes re the National Geographic competition.
I especially like photo 18.
Hey Stu, always a pleasure to see you stop by. I depleted my stash of your care package at that school, with pictures to prove it! And thank you. I am really confident about the images that I submitted

QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
Great group shot in #5. CPL's tend to have odd effects at wide angles - you would want to get the super thin CPLs specifically made for wide angle shooting.

#9 - That is definitely overloaded!

#10 - How does that screening work? Is it eye features? Or is it for something else? Almost looks like an eye exam...

#14 and #15 are fantastic local shots...

Please stay safe in these fiery times. You posts are an amazing window into the life of an American soldier in the Mideast.
Hey Jin - also always a pleasure to read your commentary, both on my posts and elsewhere. I've learned the CPL issues with UWA's in terms of color consistency in the skies, and for how much I use them, it just isn't worth it to me to upgrade to the super thin ones. A Lucroit Filter System, on the other hand....why does it have to be so expensive?! lol

Thank you for your compliments, and regarding image #10, I originally was going to say "I can't give too much detail, but suffice it to say, yes it has something to do with eye features." But then I did a google search, and the information is everywhere lol...

So here are some resources that everyone can read up on (if you so choose):

Biometrics in Afghanistan: The eyes have it | The Economist

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/14/world/asia/14identity.html?pagewanted=all

Army Reveals Afghan Biometric ID Plan; Millions Scanned, Carded by May | Danger Room | Wired.com

Biometrics Help Nab Afghan Prison Escapees | Danger Room | Wired.com

CSI bin Laden: Commandos Use Thumb, Eye Scans to Track Terrorists | Danger Room | Wired.com

So yes, it collects biometric data - which for those that do not know, are your "biologically unique" characteristics unique from person to person, with the most commonly used being fingerprints. Your iris is another example of a unique feature that are not mirrored between people.

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
This seems to me the finest of your reports to date.
The excellent images of the soldiers and locals coupled with the stories has great impact.
I don't recall what you do in your other life but you have a great talent and you should consider another career as photojournalist.
I was wondering how the recent events had changed your work, thanks for referencing that.
Stay safe, and thanks for taking the time to share.
Thank you very much crewl1. I appreciate your candor.

When my military career is over, I would love to be a photojournalist for CNN/Reuters/etc. I wouldn't say no to NatGeo either

"Oh, God forbid, my mega-genius phone isn't working today, my whole life is on there, I can't do anything without it, what will I DO????"
A lot of people simply never think about all the people living in places such as you describe, without all those "necessities", let alone basic essentials sometimes. We would all do well to be reminded thus.
It sounds like your commanders are putting a great deal of faith & confidence in you, upgrading your duties to brigade & battalion level. I think it must be well deserved. A big new adventure for you. Best of luck!

The sun is kind of behind you, in #5, which may have reduced the polarizer effect... But yes, I think they are still worth using on wide angles because they also enrich other colours; it's not all just about the blue sky. I often use mine for richer colour with rocks & vegetation.
The polarizer/wide angle article posted above won't load on either of my browsers. But, my 2 cents: I've been using a relatively new 19-35 lens quite a bit lately & usually leave the polarizer on it. Some of the pix do come out very polarized; however since it's a wide angle, there's sometimes more unevenness in the sky, i.e. one side being much darker, just because there's more sky in the shot for the effect to spread across... if that makes sense. Anyway, of course it depends on the angle of the sun; if it's not quite right then you get a lot of gradation, but when it works I've found it works very well. Just my experience.

#6, yes, the contrast works. Again I like the way your reports of the practical military things are always coloured by the photographer thinking behind the shot

Finally... and I suggest a bit hesitantly because you probably get "you should write a book" fairly often... but given your particular view of the whole experience, I think you'll have more than enough material for a book, "some day" when you are back home and finished soldiering. What kind of book is hard to decide; with all the photos maybe it should be a coffee table book with as much photo content as text... but then there's probably enough story for a more text-heavy book too, although the little photo inserts in those types of books would not do justice to all your photographic material... Hmm...mmm....
Just a thought. If you ever publish one, I'd read it
Cheers!
Hey Alliecat! Like I've said before, if for nothing else, this deployment has been an incredibly humbling experience that has put a lot into perspective. When the iPhone5 craze happened a few weeks ago, I couldn't help but feel some pretty terrible and rash thoughts about "those people" that made such a big deal out of the phone...

But yes, I have been in high demand lately, and I must say - I much prefer the low key schedule and "out of reachness" that I had enjoyed working independently with the Afghan Army lol.

And I was not aware of the effect CPL's had on the saturation/vibrance of colors from non-sky objects. When it came to color enhancement, I only ever considered the sky, so thank you for that realization. Regarding "overdoing" the polarizer - for me it's hard to notice because unless it is at its extreme, I can't really tell because I am color blind - I have a very, very difficult time discerning the difference between between very close shades/colors. I should start incorporating the practice of "go until I see the effect, then twist back a little."

I actually am considering writing a book What about, and what direction and format to take it in, such as:

-focus on just the partnership/the entire deployment?
-make it a "picture book" type with heavily detailed captions (not most favored course of action) or just place a large collection of images throughout the book to enhance its content, but not particularly apply to any specific section

But glad to know that I will definitely sell 1 copy

QuoteOriginally posted by pickles Quote
Heie,...G'Day from Aus again.
As usual...simply AWESOME.....and like I've said before, good to see what REALLY is going on, & what you are trying to do.
With your transfer to "Brigade" level, does that mean that a promotion may occur?....I reckon you deserve one simply for the effort & passion you put into your "updates" to us.....and I mean it's not simply Political "Hoo- Ha"...it's the truth.
I'm sure if you showed your boss the feedback you're getting here, he'd be impressed.
As usual...Thanks, & Keep Safe, Pickles.
Thanks Pickles!

Regarding a promotion in rank/pay - that won't happen until next year sometime, so unfortunately...my ability to splurge on more Pentax gear has not increased lol. And my commander hasn't really paid attention to these updates per se, but he definitely has taken a notice to my photography, which is why he approved for me to jump on fellow lieutenants' patrols in a strictly "combat camera" role, which has been an awesome experience. Just today after delivering a fresh batch from a patrol he told me, "Alex, your photos have spoiled me - only with the greatest reluctance can I accept images from the platoons because none of them deliver the caliber of images that you have taken." That was a huge compliment

QuoteOriginally posted by Fries Quote
Thanks again for the update! I don't know if I mentioned it before but "A short walk in the Hindu Kush" by Eric Newby might be a nice read when you're back. He served in the Second World War and went to the Hindu Kush in 1956 to climb some mountains after some basic training in England. And there are also photo's in the book!
Fries, thanks for stopping by. And I have heard of the book from several recommenders, however I haven't gotten around to it yet (unfortunately). But I will be sure to keep it atop my list. Thanks for revisiting the topic of it. And soldiers thing I am absolutely crazy for wanting to come back here, but I would LOVE to return in 20-30 years and walk the streets with a camera (sans 1/3-1/2 my body weight in gear, armor, and a weapon) and then go hiking/climbing. The mountains here are truly beautiful, and remind me of the European Alps because of how abrupt and sheer they are.

QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
Nice series, as always, Alex! I especially like the sepia and B/W ones...

+1. For blue-er skies you should be shooting 90 deg. from the sun, so of course it helps if the sun isn't nearly straight above.
Thanks Pano! Really appreciate your visit and commentary I am equally fond of those images as well.

And I have heard this "90 deg from the sun" before, but I just don't understand it. I have even seen the "make a pistol with your thumb and pointer finger" to identify the angle of maximum effectiveness, but I'm still not catching on as to how to apply it. I'll have to do some more research when I'm not so tired/busy lol.

Thank you all again so very, very much for your incredibly support for this project that I started 8 months ago (holy crap...8 months already!), and again I apologize for not replying sooner

-Heie
10-08-2012, 11:58 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
You've outdone yourself with this set. Nice work. It's great to see someone else soldiering on (pardon the pun) with a K7 too. Great images from both your cameras.
10-08-2012, 05:58 PM - 1 Like   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Heie Quote
And I have heard this "90 deg from the sun" before, but I just don't understand it. I have even seen the "make a pistol with your thumb and pointer finger" to identify the angle of maximum effectiveness, but I'm still not catching on as to how to apply it. I'll have to do some more research when I'm not so tired/busy lol.
Yeah, I have trouble visualizing the pistol thing too.
This might be overly simplistic or not quite right; perhaps someone else can word it better. But, imagine you're in the centre of a compass. Your subject, & the direction you're facing, is "north". If the sun is also toward your "north", you're shooting rather into it & your pix may be backlit. If the sun is "south" of you, it's behind you & what you're photographing is fully lit by it. If the sun is to your "east" or "west" the polarizer will have more effect on blue skies. If it's more to the "north" or "south" of you, not so much. The farther "north" or "south" the sun is on your imaginary compass, the less effect it will have on the sky. Biggest polarizing effect is with the sun due "east" or "west". Of course, the height of the sun factors into it too -- does a line from the sun, to you, to your subject, make a right angle?
Does that make sense?

The reason polarizers enrich colour is they can decrease reflection from surfaces, like leaves or rocks. Try looking at some wet rocks or a puddle & turning your polarizer around; watch how the shiny surface changes. A bright patch of reflected light will fade right out & give you the colour of the rock surface, or what's under the water. If you are colour blind it might be hard to see a difference, but maybe it's not so much a difference in the shade, but just a more vivid colour. Play with it & see if you can notice the effect.
(Commanding officer comes along... "Ok, you've been pouring water on that rock and looking at it for half an hour. WHY?")

10-09-2012, 06:29 AM   #20
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Great series as always. Fine shooting....I think I can see a future for you in photo-journalism, if you so desire.

I sort of hate to do this, and thought about it for a while before I posted, but decided it needs to be done. It's not all photo work and basic maneuvers over there, as you well know........we need to remember the sacrifices you guys are willing to make....and that some make the ultimate sacrifice. This local man did just that......he was the 2000th US casualty in Afghanistan....and few noticed...but we did here at home.
You be very careful over there, we want you to make it back like my son did...so he can buy you the biggest Texas Steak dinner you ever had.

Lest we forget.......Riley Stephens.
[IMG] [/IMG]

There was over two miles of these bikers paying tribute.....
[IMG] [/IMG]

I shot these out in the country, in town the streets were lined with mourners....we take it seriously, we don't forget here.
[IMG] [/IMG]

[IMG] [/IMG]

2,000 gone in Afghanistan: Did you notice the death of Sgt. Riley Stephens? - U.S. News

God bless you and your fellow warriors, and watch your back, we want you to come back and enjoy that big steak!

Regards
Rupert
10-09-2012, 09:59 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Alex, been AWOL for a while but am back now. Glad to hear that you are doing well and that the chain of command has recognized your abilities as a leader and a photojournalist. I understand that we as spoiled citizens of the developed world tend to bitch about it when we can't get/have the next G-whiz gadget. I live close enough to Death Valley to visit every year or so and I am saddened to think I can't capture on film/digital the vast awesomeness of the view. And I see something new every time I visit. I would love to see the kids when they were presented with the school supplies. Stay safe. Looking forward to the next update. THANKS, Cliff
10-10-2012, 01:09 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Great post, thanks.

The 16-50 and 60-250 combo do indeed make a great pairing.

For your upcoming NZ trip, you might also consider hikes etc with just the 18-135. I took it on a recent trip along with a bunch of other lenses, and it stayed on my camera for 95% of the time.

10-10-2012, 05:26 AM   #23

Location: Jessica Lake, Whiteshell Provincial Park, or Winnipeg Manitoba, Canada
Another amazing update. Thanks for sharing. Congrats on the new post, you have certainly earned it. I eagerly wait the school supplies series. You are right our first world problems are so insignificant it's sad that "we" become lose sight of the real issues. So many people survive with so much less and are happy to do so.
Please stay safe and I look forward to update number 14!
bigted
10-15-2012, 01:48 AM   #24

Photos: Albums
Thank you so much for these posts! I just finished reading all of the previous ones and it great that we can get this kind of perspective on how things are over there and what you guys go through. Your camera work is great and I like that you are constantly trying different things and improving from update to update, I also love the comments and story you give with every picture. One thing that surprised me was your age, you come across as much older and mature than someone my age. Good luck with your new assignment and I hope you stay safe.
10-16-2012, 04:20 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hey all,

Just wanted to give a quick update - first and foremost (and obvious) still alive and kicking

Secondly, I have relocated to my new desk and immediately was ordered to fly out for a week to conduct an investigation (15-6 for anyone familiar with the Army lingo).

I will update when I can - I have 4-5 updates worth of images now after playing combat camera for a while, so as soon as I can, I will post them. Thanks again for all your comments full of praise - I apologize for not being able to address them individually at this time.

-Heie
10-16-2012, 09:34 AM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I apologize for not being able to address them individually at this time.
Alex, you have no reason to apologize for doing your job. We are so fortunate that you take the photos, do your job and still find time to post and share your remarks here for all of us while we sit in our warm cozy cocoons. Thanks for all that you do. Be safe! Cliff
10-16-2012, 03:46 PM   #27
DAZ
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
As a 15-6 could result in someones disciplinary action or worse, enough said. This kind of thing will also eat up a lot of otherwise free time to post to us.

DAZ
10-19-2012, 09:14 AM   #28
Veteran Member

I actually am considering writing a book What about, and what direction and format to take it in, such as:

-focus on just the partnership/the entire deployment?
-make it a "picture book" type with heavily detailed captions (not most favored course of action) or just place a large collection of images throughout the book to enhance its content, but not particularly apply to any specific section
Something just occurred to me. I work in a library. We're currently picking out Remembrance-Day-related books for the window display. Boss says to include picture books (the little-kids shelf). Haven't got any. I thought of you. You could take this book idea in a variety of directions for a variety of audiences; I'm sure you have the material for it. But one more possibility might be a picture book for little kids. "This is what a soldier does" kind of thing. Lots of scope for photos, not too much text required, just some pix of your day-to-day activities, & stuff about meeting the Afghan kids would be good for a little-kids' book too. I don't know what the market is like for that kind of thing or if there are other books out there that are similar (got to go shelve & can't putter on Amazon at the moment!) but just thought I'd toss that idea out there.
A good editor or agent, when the time comes, would help you figure out what direction to go with your material.
Cheers
11-01-2012, 11:34 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by usn ret Quote
Alex, you have no reason to apologize for doing your job. We are so fortunate that you take the photos, do your job and still find time to post and share your remarks here for all of us while we sit in our warm cozy cocoons. Thanks for all that you do. Be safe! Cliff
Cliff,

Always appreciate your support and understanding - thanks again.

QuoteOriginally posted by DAZ Quote
As a 15-6 could result in someones disciplinary action or worse, enough said. This kind of thing will also eat up a lot of otherwise free time to post to us. DAZ
DAZ, while I won't give specifics, that is what will happen if my recommendations are listened to by the chain of command. But it was a great experience - I devoted over 75 straight hours of research and writing on that - I was incredibly proud of my final product

Something just occurred to me. I work in a library. We're currently picking out Remembrance-Day-related books for the window display. Boss says to include picture books (the little-kids shelf). Haven't got any. I thought of you. You could take this book idea in a variety of directions for a variety of audiences; I'm sure you have the material for it. But one more possibility might be a picture book for little kids. "This is what a soldier does" kind of thing. Lots of scope for photos, not too much text required, just some pix of your day-to-day activities, & stuff about meeting the Afghan kids would be good for a little-kids' book too. I don't know what the market is like for that kind of thing or if there are other books out there that are similar (got to go shelve & can't putter on Amazon at the moment!) but just thought I'd toss that idea out there. A good editor or agent, when the time comes, would help you figure out what direction to go with your material. Cheers
Allie....what an awesome idea....I will have to give that some though....thanks!

And Update Fourteen is now up

-Heie
11-01-2012, 12:09 PM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
When you finally are in my town, I've got to take you out to dinner.
Your images - given the work you do - are nothing short of spectacular given the locations and subject matter.

On a side note, if you hadn't noticed, I do quite a bit of traveling and photography in Europe and the UK especially.

When I see your images in Afghanistan, and working with the locals, all I can think about are the Roman Centurions who held posts throughout the "frontier" for Rome. I imagine young men, all across Hadrian's wall basically doing what you are doing, albeit a few thousand years ago. The Romans used many different nations to staff their legions, and when I see Americans alongside other nations, it makes me realize that some military operations never change.

Once the wars are done, soldiers get down to the day to day business of stability, hoping one day to leave the country and return home. Most soldiers, once they have seen war, tend to cherish peace.

It's so sad that wars take place and people have to die before things settle down.

Like the Romans, their nasty bits tend to be softened over time and their "contributions" to civilization are remembered best - as I hope the USA is over in Afghanistan and Iraq.

In your work in Afghanistan, you are mending wounds and representing what is best about our military.

Well done.