Photos: Gallery | Albums
Update Number *Thirteen* from my Afghan Deployment

Content removed

Last edited by Heie; 04-04-2013 at 04:47 AM. Reason: CONTENT REMOVED
09-27-2012, 01:14 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
As usual, your posts contain compelling images and a breathtaking narrative. Please keep safe!
09-27-2012, 01:17 AM   #3
Forum Member

Great shots! #15 especially.
09-27-2012, 01:31 AM   #4
sbc
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Beautiful and meaningful photos. Keep safe!!!

09-27-2012, 05:20 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Morning, Here is a couple of posts on wide angle and CPLs.As always, wonderful images and the a great running narrative.....

Stay safe,

09-27-2012, 07:23 AM   #6
smf
Pentaxian

Thanks for the great update. Congratulations on your new assignment. Best wishes to you and your comrades for safety and success. Also, best wishes re the National Geographic competition.
I especially like photo 18.
09-27-2012, 07:29 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Awesome thread and awesome series. Thanks for posting these, and good luck with the new position!

09-27-2012, 07:38 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Great group shot in #5. CPL's tend to have odd effects at wide angles - you would want to get the super thin CPLs specifically made for wide angle shooting.

#9 - That is definitely overloaded!

#10 - How does that screening work? Is it eye features? Or is it for something else? Almost looks like an eye exam...

#14 and #15 are fantastic local shots...

Please stay safe in these fiery times. You posts are an amazing window into the life of an American soldier in the Mideast.
09-27-2012, 08:41 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This seems to me the finest of your reports to date.
The excellent images of the soldiers and locals coupled with the stories has great impact.
I don't recall what you do in your other life but you have a great talent and you should consider another career as photojournalist.
I was wondering how the recent events had changed your work, thanks for referencing that.
Stay safe, and thanks for taking the time to share.
09-27-2012, 08:39 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Heie Quote
...Also, there is something tantalizing and surreal about walking into a village that has no electricity, no running water, and no modern "necessities" as we know them. ...
"Oh, God forbid, my mega-genius phone isn't working today, my whole life is on there, I can't do anything without it, what will I DO????"
A lot of people simply never think about all the people living in places such as you describe, without all those "necessities", let alone basic essentials sometimes. We would all do well to be reminded thus.
It sounds like your commanders are putting a great deal of faith & confidence in you, upgrading your duties to brigade & battalion level. I think it must be well deserved. A big new adventure for you. Best of luck!

The sun is kind of behind you, in #5, which may have reduced the polarizer effect... But yes, I think they are still worth using on wide angles because they also enrich other colours; it's not all just about the blue sky. I often use mine for richer colour with rocks & vegetation.
The polarizer/wide angle article posted above won't load on either of my browsers. But, my 2 cents: I've been using a relatively new 19-35 lens quite a bit lately & usually leave the polarizer on it. Some of the pix do come out very polarized; however since it's a wide angle, there's sometimes more unevenness in the sky, i.e. one side being much darker, just because there's more sky in the shot for the effect to spread across... if that makes sense. Anyway, of course it depends on the angle of the sun; if it's not quite right then you get a lot of gradation, but when it works I've found it works very well. Just my experience.

#6, yes, the contrast works. Again I like the way your reports of the practical military things are always coloured by the photographer thinking behind the shot

Finally... and I suggest a bit hesitantly because you probably get "you should write a book" fairly often... but given your particular view of the whole experience, I think you'll have more than enough material for a book, "some day" when you are back home and finished soldiering. What kind of book is hard to decide; with all the photos maybe it should be a coffee table book with as much photo content as text... but then there's probably enough story for a more text-heavy book too, although the little photo inserts in those types of books would not do justice to all your photographic material... Hmm...mmm....
Just a thought. If you ever publish one, I'd read it
Cheers!
09-28-2012, 01:21 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Heie,...G'Day from Aus again.
As usual...simply AWESOME.....and like I've said before, good to see what REALLY is going on, & what you are trying to do.
With your transfer to "Brigade" level, does that mean that a promotion may occur?....I reckon you deserve one simply for the effort & passion you put into your "updates" to us.....and I mean it's not simply Political "Hoo- Ha"...it's the truth.
I'm sure if you showed your boss the feedback you're getting here, he'd be impressed.
As usual...Thanks, & Keep Safe, Pickles.
09-28-2012, 01:53 PM   #12
Veteran Member

And again I have to thank you for bringing us images of the 'real' Afghanistan. The one we never hear about except from you.

Keep safe.
09-28-2012, 03:15 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks again for the update! I don't know if I mentioned it before but "A short walk in the Hindu Kush" by Eric Newby might be a nice read when you're back. He served in the Second World War and went to the Hindu Kush in 1956 to climb some mountains after some basic training in England. And there are also photo's in the book!
09-28-2012, 03:52 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Inspirational work, as always.
09-28-2012, 04:14 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks for this latest installment. Great narrative & photos, as always - and I agree with Crewl1 above. You have a talent with pictures and words. Til next time, thanks again.