Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-03-2008, 09:41 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
has there been a more exciting Super Bowl game?

Sorry to the international members for for the local reference ... hoping you got to witness this.

Ok, maybe I am a 'fair weather fan' like my wife calls me... but to this part time fan who has seen his fair share of run away Super Bowl romps over the years still thinks this was one of the most exciting Super Bowl games I ever saw... You?

02-03-2008, 09:46 PM   #2
Veteran Member

That was amazing.

Our entire room jumped to their feet when that last touchdown pass was caught.

And it's that much better because its the Pats who lost it
02-03-2008, 09:56 PM   #3
Veteran Member

my heart is still pounding. that was the best superbowl i have seen in years. start to finish, it was edge of seat excitment. of course the icing was, my TEAM won it!

Go Big Blue
02-03-2008, 11:04 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by -=JoN=- Quote
my heart is still pounding. that was the best superbowl i have seen in years. start to finish, it was edge of seat excitment. of course the icing was, my TEAM won it!

Go Big Blue

the quality of the games over the past few years has been excellent, going back pretty much to 1998-ish when the broncos won. every SB game the pats were in was either won or lost by 3. even last year was a bit entertaining i think. its been a while since there's been a bomb of a game.

that said, i had zero interest in the game for two reasons. One, can't stand the giants, 2, can't stand the pats. 3, I got paged for work at 6pm and been working on a server issue ever since. So I saw the coin flip and that was about it....

02-03-2008, 11:08 PM   #5
m8o
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jmdeegan Quote
the quality of the games over the past few years has been excellent, going back pretty much to 1998-ish when the broncos won. every SB game the pats were in was either won or lost by 3. even last year was a bit entertaining i think. its been a while since there's been a bomb of a game.
I guess that explains how long ago I really paid attention to a Super Bowl game and why my wife calls me a fair weather fan... killer game regardless of any 'self-imposed' or 'work imposed' exile due to any 'hatred' of the players.
02-03-2008, 11:29 PM   #6
Veteran Member

This one, and the one the Rams actually won in 2000 were probably the two most exciting Super Bowls I have watched. The 2000 Superbowl was decided by 1 yard.........The Titans came up 1 yard short on the last play of the game, here in St Louis, that play is known as "The Tackle" Mike Jones saved the game with a tackle on the 1 yard line as time ran out... whew !!
02-04-2008, 12:07 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by m8o Quote
Sorry to the international members for for the local reference ... hoping you got to witness this.

Ok, maybe I am a 'fair weather fan' like my wife calls me... but to this part time fan who has seen his fair share of run away Super Bowl romps over the years still thinks this was one of the most exciting Super Bowl games I ever saw... You?
Well come on then give us a 100 word summary to an Aussie Rules nut....err...fan.....I would like to understand but know nothing about your game.

02-04-2008, 08:30 AM   #8
m8o
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GWP Quote
Well come on then give us a 100 word summary to an Aussie Rules nut....err...fan.....I would like to understand but know nothing about your game.
Not sure this rather 'clinical' account will explain enough, I can't really. Though this is an order of magnitude more words then you ask for, here's one good account (not explaining the way the game is played tho if that's what you are asking): NFL - New York Giants/New England Patriots Recap Sunday February 3, 2008 - Yahoo! Sports or perhaps this account is better ESPN - Eli, monster defense power Giants to shocking Super Bowl victory - NFL Football Recap
Basically, it was a low scoring 'war' of a game with two very closely matched opponents deadlocked much of the game. Once the drives got rolling, they kept rolling, but otherwise the drives were shut down fairly excitingly a good deal in both directions; it was tough for either team to achieve any overwhelming momentum. What's not conveyed is the excitement of all the sacks of the quarterback, or extra few yards gained when the player with the ball drives forward with two or three huge guys hanging on him trying to bring him down. Now that I think is something common to this game and aussie rules games.

Last edited by m8o; 02-04-2008 at 08:38 AM.
02-04-2008, 04:08 PM   #9
Forum Member

I didn't know anything about NFL a year ago and then I bought myself Madden 07. I'm not saying that is the best way to learn about it, but it taught me a lot more than I knew to begin with! So now I have a basic understanding of the game and I can appreciate it very much. I still prefer AFL and the Super 12 though...

Edit: I did catch the last quarter and boy it was tight! That last 2 minutes was heart-stopping! I was hoping the Pats would go all the way with the record, but kudos to the Giants. They deserved it as from what I saw they played amazingly! Poor Brady - five stacks??! Talk about an off day...
02-04-2008, 04:35 PM   #10

Just.. amazing!! And im not even a giants fan! (Pantherssss!!)
I havent seen many superbowls but last nights game was just... I have never felt that much tension in a room of people (guys and girls)..
Some people call use weird and what not but they dont know what it feels like to be a true fan!

Thanks
02-04-2008, 05:08 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Patang Quote
Edit: I did catch the last quarter and boy it was tight! That last 2 minutes was heart-stopping! I was hoping the Pats would go all the way with the record, but kudos to the Giants. They deserved it as from what I saw they played amazingly! Poor Brady - five stacks??! Talk about an off day...

The Pats got what they deserved, i like the saying : A winner never cheats, and a cheater never wins. I loved every second of it !!
02-04-2008, 08:31 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I guess Karma did bite the Pats in the butt. Despite their perfect season, the beginning was marred by the spying/cheating on the NY Jets.
02-04-2008, 08:48 PM   #13
Veteran Member

They seem to have also cheated the day before the Superbowl when they "beat" my Rams, taped the Rams final practice !!
02-04-2008, 09:59 PM   #14
Veteran Member

That was quite a game. I can recall a few superbowls that were as good, the first one Elway won with the Broncos... Anyone else remember Elway running for the endzone and diving (and taking a wicked hit) - but he just got back up and ran to the huddle - the guy had heart.

Something about the Pats - I don't know why i don't like them. I'm a Steelers fan, so maybe that's some of it - but I was genuinely glad for them when they won their first title - then so-so when they won the 2nd. Then "okay, that's enough" by the 3rd...
But I think it's more the coach and the player's attitudes - no one ever seemed to express happiness about winning (after that first title) - it was all about what they did wrong, what they could do better, ... etc...

Come on - I mean Belicheck was off the field before the final play was run. Maybe he was embarrassed, maybe he felt like he got kicked in the stomach - but hell - be a good sport - he's won 3 titles already, and they certainly don't look to be going downhill anytime soon. And maybe the announcers made more of it than it should have been, but in pre-game Manning walked by Brady and put his hand out as if to shake, and Brady just turned and kind of snubbed him.

Since I live in MA I'm surrounded by Pats fans at work - a couple very obnoxious ones too - and I have to admit I'm glad I won't be hearing how this year's Patriots team is possibly the best ever for the next 20 years.
02-04-2008, 10:45 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by khardur Quote
That was quite a game. <snip>I have to admit I'm glad I won't be hearing how this year's Patriots team is possibly the best ever for the next 20 years.
It was an entertaining game for sure Brady had the chance to join Montana and Bradshaw as the only 4 ring quarterbacks - had they won the debate would have had merritt. The Pats would have joined the 49’ers and Steelers as one of the greatest dynasty ever the debate is still real however ultimately it is judged by Superbowl Rings . The Pats will be in the hunt next year - not so sure about the Giants. Any given Sunday - it is why they still play the game Full Kudos to Eli and the defense - they peaked at the right time. I would have given the MVP to the defense (no one player) but since that can't happen Eli was as good a choice as any.