Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-27-2012, 03:36 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Blasphemy Is Good for You

good article...
QuoteQuote:

Shocking as these events were, some reactions here at home were not helpful: Newsweek’s notorious “Muslim Rage” cover, for example, with its photo of crazed-looking zealots. All together now: there are 1.6 billion Muslims, only a tiny minority of whom are involved in this nonsense. Would Newsweek present a story about opposition to gay marriage with a photo of the Westboro Baptist “God Hates Fags” church and the headline “Christian Rage”? Even worse are the posters that went up on September 24 in ten New York City subway stations, the thoughtful offering of birther blogger Pam Geller and her American Freedom Defense Initiative: “In any war between the civilized man and the savage, support the civilized man. Support Israel. Defeat Jihad.” (The ads also appeared in August and September on public buses in San Francisco.)

What about acknowledging and honoring the huge demonstrations by Libyans against the militias who are believed to have killed Stevens? And let’s not forget the Muslims who took over Newsweek’s hashtag: “Twitter is over capacity. Heading to the U.S. embassy. #MuslimRage.” “I won a lifetime supply of bacon #MuslimRage.” The Muslim response to the subway ads was also classy: “If you see something (stupid), say something (smart) #MySubwayAd.” “Hatred is the first savagery. Being a ****** is the first freedom #MySubwayAd.”

What if the right to be a ******—a jerk, an annoying obsessive—is indeed where freedom begins? On WNYC’s The Takeaway, John Hockenberry had a confusing exchange with BBC chief Jeremy Bowen:

Hockenberry: I’m wondering if it’s possible for the United Nations to create an initiative that would talk about some sort of global convention on blasphemy, that would create a cooperative enterprise to control these kinds of incidents, not to interfere into anybody’s free speech rights but to basically recognize that there is a global interest in keeping people from going off the rails over a perceived sense of slight by enforcing a convention of human rights, only in this particular case it would be anti-blasphemy?

Bowen: It would be a great idea if they could make it work, but of course you know, you think that the United Nations struggled for ages, and I don’t think it’s yet succeeded in coming up with a definition of “terrorism.” So, in the end, how do you define “blasphemy”?

So the only thing preventing some sort of international convention against “blasphemy” is that people can’t agree about what it is? Perhaps the UN could ask Vladimir Putin, who was eager to send three members of Pussy Riot to prison for appearing at Moscow’s Cathedral of Christ the Savior to perform an anti-Putin “punk prayer” to the Virgin Mary. Their crime: “hooliganism motivated by religious hatred.” The rise of the Russian Orthodox church in the former Soviet Union, and its connections to a corrupt authoritarian regime, shows that Islam has no monopoly on religious freakouts or their exploitation for political purposes. But you already knew that, having lived through mosque burnings in several states, and of course the extraordinary ongoing wave of arsons, bombings, assaults, stalkings and murders committed against abortion clinics, their doctors and staffs, almost all by deeply devout Catholics and evangelicals.

Sorry, John and Jeremy, there is just no way to “control these kinds of incidents” without suppressing free speech, because the very concept of “blasphemy” entails powerful clerics deciding what a religion “really” says, and what questions about that are legitimate. And why shouldn’t religion be fair game for rude remarks, mockery and humor, to say nothing of bold challenges and open expressions of disbelief? Ethnic attacks like Geller’s ad are disgusting—calling Muslims savages is like calling Jews subhuman—but I’d say on the whole “blasphemy” has been a force for good in human history. It is part of the process by which millions of people have come to reject theocracy and think for themselves.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/richard-j-rosendall/resisting-the-rage-trade_b_1916661.html

QuoteQuote:
The moderate Libyans, who mourned and thanked the American diplomats who had helped them, illustrate a welcome wave of resistance to what Rushdie calls the "manufactured outrage" used by tyrants to divert attention from their own disastrous rule. Right-wing partisans will exploit the murders in Benghazi as an excuse to write off Libya, as if our own revolution was trouble-free, but we have a stake in this game. Withdrawing aid amid upheaval would further imperil our friends and gratify thugs.

Americans who do not crave the apocalypse need to repudiate the holy warriors for their bloody and treacherous mischief. At the same time, we must engage and collaborate more with those like Ghonim who recognize secular democracy not as an imperialist threat but as essential to their own development and happiness.

We have our work cut out, from refugees fleeing anti-gay violence incited by American evangelicals to activists and foreign service officers carrying on and innovating amid backlashes against human-rights efforts. Progressive religious charities are essential as partners.

It is necessary, but not sufficient, to elect politicians who respect and value diversity. We can best honor the spirits of the dead by expanding and strengthening our own international networks for freedom and dignity. We are behind the curve.

09-27-2012, 03:48 PM   #2
Inactive Account

I'm with Dawkins on this, although I do think that, by and large, he's not the best face of atheism. In case there's any doubt I'm atheist and I'm never afraid to argue against religion with anyone; whether they're the imman who lived a few doors down from my old house or the local vicar - they've been the most fun guys I've ever had talking about religion with due to the way they've respected my right to hold my view and vice versa; the more heated the discussion the better - and the most fun. I love talking to those who actually know what they're talking about.

My view has always been - God, whatever their form, is meant to be so much stronger than us that me bitchin' about them will not harm them: and who the hell is a follower of a religion think they are if their god can't smite me and they have to do it themselves? Either they're admitting there is no god, or that their personal god is weaker than they themselves are.

edit: I AM semi-militant atheist; but I'd never disrespect anybody's right to believe what they want to, just so long as they cause no harm through their belief: such as banning contraception, damning those who require an abortion, shutting members of their own community out because they hold different beliefs or killing in the name of religion. I speak out and stand up against that and have been campaigning for years to have the C of E and Catholic Lords taken out of our upper house as they have, in my mind, no right to speak for the approx. 70% of us Brits who are not actively religious.

Last edited by wildweasel; 09-27-2012 at 04:11 PM.
09-28-2012, 02:54 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jeffkrol Quote
Hockenberry: I’m wondering if it’s possible for the United Nations to create an initiative that would talk about some sort of global convention on blasphemy, that would create a cooperative enterprise to control these kinds of incidents, not to interfere into anybody’s free speech rights but to basically recognize that there is a global interest in keeping people from going off the rails over a perceived sense of slight by enforcing a convention of human rights, only in this particular case it would be anti-blasphemy?

Bowen: It would be a great idea if they could make it work, but of course you know, you think that the United Nations struggled for ages, and I don’t think it’s yet succeeded in coming up with a definition of “terrorism.” So, in the end, how do you define “blasphemy”?
It would be good if there was some sort of initiative from the UN, however not to 'control these sorts of incidents', but to set out the right of countries to foster free speech and not have their citizens attacked - i.e. to draw a line in the sand between the free speech of private citizens of a country and the statements and policies of governments. Sovereign countries have a right to determine their own laws and punishments re blasphemy (although pressure towards policies enshrining free speech should be exerted). However they do not have a right to punish other countries, or their citizens, for exercising their right to free speech where it is given.
Closed Thread