Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-29-2012, 04:10 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The Complete Idiot's Guide to Iran and the Bomb

The Complete Idiot?s Guide to Iran and the Bomb, Or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Facts - WhoWhatWhy

QuoteQuote:
As our Nobel laureate President ascended to the podium on September 25 at the United Nations for his last international speech before the election, we again were the recipients of fine oratory and rhetorical flourish about America’s problems in the world. Focusing on the Middle East, Central Asia, and North Africa—what’s often misleadingly termed, “the Muslim world”—Obama singled out Iran’s treaty-entitled uranium enrichment activities, saying “make no mistake: a nuclear-armed Iran is not a challenge that can be contained.”

Obama’s remarks were dutifully transcribed by our stenographer class, as can be expected, despite intelligence-community conclusions to the contrary and the historical precedent of containment as Cold War policy. This follows the latest media scare concerning Iran’s nuclear capabilities, and the recent tiff between the U.S. and Israel over it. Like Obama’s speech (and because of similarly unchallenged statements by politicians), many media reports are awash in misleading narratives, incomplete histories, and outright fiction about Iran and its nuclear program.

Given how easily the American public and media were manipulated into believing that Saddam Hussein had weapons of mass destruction, this moment should give us some pause. The disastrous effects of that $3 Trillion Dollar War are still being felt across the world. For those not interested in seeing a much-bloodier, costlier sequel, I offer this introductory course in intellectual self-defense. The only way to rebuff and dismantle propaganda is to be aware of the truth on which it claims to comment.

Lesson #1: Iran is not building nuclear weapons
Lesson #2: Iran is not a threat to the US
Lesson #3: Iran is not an existential threat to Israel
Lesson #4: Iran’s leadership is not fanatical or suicidal
Lesson #5: Politicians and media stenographers have been claiming Iran is on the verge of developing nuclear weapons since the mid-1980’s
Lesson #6: The American and Israeli security establishments are against it
Lesson #7: The American and Israeli people are against it
Lesson #8: An Iranian nuclear weapon will be all-but-assured if the U.S. or Israel attack
Lesson #9: Readers—add your own below in our comments section…

09-29-2012, 04:41 PM   #2
Banned

Photos: Albums
Lesson number two... IF america could stay out of Iran's way I agree on this one for the most point. But Iran has also regularly shown the world that it does have dozens of what are refered to as carrier busting weapons - meaning one shot downs the carrier - quite completely. Iran also has the ability to basically sink any ship (naval or not) in the gulf off to it's western border - and perhaps reach a bit outside of that border.

In any type of current war that would involve Iran almost anything would be on the table. Think of these two options...

Iran could sink any number of oil tankers anywhere in the world, but especially in the Indian Ocean - or perhaps when the tankers make the return trip empty and are limited to the canals.

Iran could also easily fund/finance any number of operations against america. Remember how much the united states government has claimed that it took for a group of less than twenty people to change the american culture - all (as the government claims) done with box cutters. Chances are Iran could come up with an even better plane.

Are there answers though, not really. Just keep america out of it.

Iran will eventually get a bomb from there many thousands of fully operational centrifuges. As to what Iran wants to do with it is completely up to them, their fate, and their destiny. It's also ironic though that america doesn't want "many" to have access to any type of nuclear, chemical, or even atomic device. The same america that used atomic type devices against cities that were largely civilian during WWII and then made up yet another story that was to cover their use
10-01-2012, 08:56 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Medium FormatPro Quote
Lesson number two... IF america could stay out of Iran's way I agree on this one for the most point. But Iran has also regularly shown the world that it does have dozens of what are refered to as carrier busting weapons - meaning one shot downs the carrier - quite completely. Iran also has the ability to basically sink any ship (naval or not) in the gulf off to it's western border - and perhaps reach a bit outside of that border.

In any type of current war that would involve Iran almost anything would be on the table. Think of these two options...

Iran could sink any number of oil tankers anywhere in the world, but especially in the Indian Ocean - or perhaps when the tankers make the return trip empty and are limited to the canals.

Iran could also easily fund/finance any number of operations against america. Remember how much the united states government has claimed that it took for a group of less than twenty people to change the american culture - all (as the government claims) done with box cutters. Chances are Iran could come up with an even better plane.

Are there answers though, not really. Just keep america out of it.

Iran will eventually get a bomb from there many thousands of fully operational centrifuges. As to what Iran wants to do with it is completely up to them, their fate, and their destiny. It's also ironic though that america doesn't want "many" to have access to any type of nuclear, chemical, or even atomic device. The same america that used atomic type devices against cities that were largely civilian during WWII and then made up yet another story that was to cover their use
I'm curuious about something. In your post you mention Iran 9 times, all with capital "I". You mention America 6 times (plus united states 1 time), and America is always with a small "a". Do you do this on purpose? If so, why?
10-01-2012, 09:42 AM   #4
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cardinal43 Quote
I'm curuious about something. In your post you mention Iran 9 times, all with capital "I". You mention America 6 times (plus united states 1 time), and America is always with a small "a". Do you do this on purpose? If so, why?
Good question.

In this post The phrase North america (sic) appears twice. In both cases "north" is capitalized, but not America.

In just one page of search results, I see the word "america" or "americans" 23 times and "America" only once. The single capitalized spelling was used as Central America. I found no incidences of any other countries' names not being capitalized.

Just an observation.......................................

Last edited by Parallax; 10-01-2012 at 09:56 AM.
10-01-2012, 09:52 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I would say that it was a spell checker issue if it were just united and states (both words on their own) and Iran (only a proper name) but I just tried to type America without caps, and the computer objected.
10-01-2012, 10:08 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I've noticed it in other MFP postings. Not a criticism, but I was simply curious.
10-01-2012, 10:17 AM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

Do you do this on purpose? If so, why?
I'll take a wild punt and guess that skipping the capitalisation is intended as a display of disillusionment with the USA

11-16-2012, 04:25 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think when its spelled with the lower case letter it is referring to a concept of that country that encompasses all the 'worst' of it, and ignores the best. I find myself doing this sometimes and the way I thought about is.. well, there is no "American" as a nation, there is only "America" as a continent and then "America" as an abbreviation for the USA, which is a complex entity full of extremes and everything in between. "American" can technically refer to other countries as well. But america or murrka or amerika are used to refer to the concept of the country that the stereotypical dumb inhabitants think they live in, not the actual, concrete territory with all the complexities of the people living there. Of course, the criticism here is that even these "dumb inhabitants" are an imagined stereotype and not a reality. So its a "we think that there are people there who think stupid things" situation. I think this is actually a big problem for anyone criticizing the USA. This language frames the conversation rather poorly and turns many people off, so that a genuine debate and understanding becomes impossible. I know I wrote a bunch of stuff here that isn't really on topic, but I think that on these forums we have a very diverse crowd and I'm hoping this little paragraph might make one side think about the language they are using and the other side understand what the others are trying to say.
Yes, I studied communication and semiotics Sorry for this interjection
11-16-2012, 04:39 PM   #9
Veteran Member

It's his way of crapping on the country in which he makes his living, even though he isn't a citizen. If you look back on all his posts, he never capitalizes the A in AMERICA.
11-17-2012, 06:25 AM   #10
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
his way of crapping on the country in which he makes his living, even though he isn't a citizen

Yes to first part; wrong to last part.

For those whom might have missed an earlier reply on a different thread... I have served my country for ten years - and in combat. But would never do it again; even though I'm still elligible for either (re)enlistment or even officers position. Was born in america and maintain several properties here - Pittsburgh, Charleston, Vail. Have since aquired dual citizenship
11-17-2012, 07:08 AM   #11
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Medium FormatPro Quote
maintain several properties here - Pittsburgh, Charleston, Vail. Have since aquired dual citizenship
Why? If this country such a hell hole, why not go live in the country of your other citizenship?
As far as your not wanting to join the military again, well, thank you. We are grateful for that as we prefer our military members be on our side.
11-17-2012, 10:03 AM   #12
Banned

Because the attitude in america used to be different from; if you don't like it just give up on it and leave. Although I'm also beginning to seriously wonder if america is too lazy to attempt a revolution.

The country being on the brink of collapse for this long; an how it has effected most of it's citizens... Something really has to give somewhere. Could the country get much worse than what it is now? The country used to take the lead in quite the number of areas - and today where exactly would it take the lead?