Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-30-2012, 07:44 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
J.K. Rowling: ‘I didn’t build this’ on my own

QuoteQuote:
“I worked extremely hard... I take credit for the work. But I received a free education. I received free health care... I’m unapologetic about saying this,” she added. “I had pneumonia when my daughter was under one year old. If we hadn’t had free health care in this country, God only knows what would have happened to either of us. I am proud of having done what I’ve done. Very proud. But. I do take issue – and this does go to the heart of this book, which is why I have to say it—with anyone who truly feels it’s a 100 percent down to them.”
"right response"

Conservative journalist calls J.K. Rowling's new book a leftist 'screed' | New York Daily News

QuoteQuote:
Reviews are starting to trickle in of J.K. Rowling's "The Casual Vacancy," her first non-Harry Potter novel. And though opinions will surely diverge, this one we did not quite expect: Daniel Greenfield of the conservative FrontPageMag.com brands the book "a shrill left-wing screed," apparently without having read it.
I have nothing really to say about her books but that they are no "Lord of the Rings".............

09-30-2012, 09:33 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery | Albums
So far I have only read the free sample on my Kindle, the characters and story seem dark and bleak. If Rowling is leftist, she is at least a good capitalist (maybe) as her new book is about five dollars higher than most new books!

Edit: It seems it was the publisher who set the higher price, sorry for the misinformation.

Last edited by jaytee; 09-30-2012 at 11:19 AM. Reason: facts wrong
09-30-2012, 12:34 PM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jeffkrol Quote
"right response"

Conservative journalist calls J.K. Rowling's new book a leftist 'screed' | New York Daily News

I have nothing really to say about her books but that they are no "Lord of the Rings".............
Opinion.
09-30-2012, 01:20 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Well I've been over to check out Greenfield's review and the sordid little website he writes for, and I am ashamed to have added to the website's hit count. A bad review of a JK Rowling book is the very least of the steaming poo over there.

10-01-2012, 02:22 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ihasa Quote
Well I've been over to check out Greenfield's review and the sordid little website he writes for, and I am ashamed to have added to the website's hit count. A bad review of a JK Rowling book is the very least of the steaming poo over there.
I always thought that most of the haters there never read more than the first few pages of the first Potter book before screaming in the echo chamber. (They still think a few references to actual culture and folklore constitute some 'conspiracy of Wiccans' or whatnot, amusingly, especially if you've ever actually been locked under a starcase by people freakin' out. ) The resemblance is a bit too cutting for most, I think.

I don't really know how Rowling as an author might handle adult fiction, but she does webs of characters well: people looking to politicize things is one thing, the craft of it's another.