10-01-2012, 05:47 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Wolf killing

Killing of wolf pack criticized by key Washington state lawmaker - U.S. News

10-01-2012, 05:54 AM   #2
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Killing is wrong....so we have to kill to prevent it....no wonder aliens never land and get acquainted!
10-01-2012, 06:35 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Re-locating the pack should have been the 1st, 2nd and 3rd options.
10-01-2012, 07:14 AM   #4
Veteran Member

The States want to repopulate the wolves so they can exterminate them again.

NO WOLVES FOR YOU!

10-01-2012, 10:36 AM   #5
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Here in South Dakota, it's cougar, rather than wolves. There is quite a program to re-populate them. Numbers have come up enough now that we even have a hunting season during which a limited number can be taken, though I have no idea how anybody could bring themselves to shoot one. (I have no quarrel with the concept of hunting and fully understand it's role in population control. I just won't do it myself anymore) Game, Fish and Parks seems to have no conscience there, though. It seems that if anybody reports actually seeing one, GF&P goes out and shoots it simply because it exists.
10-01-2012, 11:07 AM   #6
Veteran Member

It's black bears in Northern Ontario. Ever since the spring bear hunt was halted, there are bears everywhere. The major cities were relocating hundreds of bears annually through the Ministry of Natural Resources. It was announced this year that they would no longer relocate bears, since they just come straight back to their home territory. I kept saying this wouldn't work, you can't plunk a new bear in some other bear's territory. Surely the Ministry must have known this?

So anyway, the Ministry announced that people should call the police about nuisance bears. The police's only response was to shoot the bear, but they were out too often shooting bears instead of doing actual police work. Now no one does anything about the bears, and the population keeps growing. The bears are getting desperate because there's not enough food, and desperate black bears are dangerous. There have been a number of farm animals killed, including horses, and a few attacks on people. I carry bear spray as a regular part of my camera kit, because I spend a lot of time in the bush.
10-01-2012, 12:52 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Simple solution ignore the zoo rules and feed the freakin animals. Not personally. Set up food stations that make them work for it so that they have to feed themselves. We do that with the rabbits here and it works out very well. Rabbit food being available and a few trees they tend to favor for flowers keeps the rabbits out of places they're not supposed to be. We also have things around that deer and racoons tend to like.

The real problem is that people come in and take over their habitat and do away with much of their food they don't bother to make sure that these animals have enough to eat. There's a reason they are starving and it's US. It's not good to feed them directly. Hand feeding them food just encourages them to not be afraid of humans but actual feeding stations that's actually pretty effective.

We have cougars in the area supposedly though I've never seen one. They eat the rabbits and deer and such so making sure there are a few rabbits for them to eat is important. I do believe in culling some animals. There are animals like deer and rabbits that can actually out breed their predators need for food. But culling animals that barely survive in decent numbers? That's just not something I support. It's one thing to shoot a deer or two a season to feed your family or to hunt a rabbit or two for dinner once in a while and it's another thing to slaughter an entire pack of wolves for sport or because they *might* just take a sheep once in a while.

There are better ways to protect your flocks. Dogs, fences, alarms. Better yet why not just leave them some innards to eat once in a while outside the area you keep your animals in where they can easily find it? I've actually known a couple of livestock farmers who have made a point of doing that when they know wolves and so forth are around. Guess what? They've hardly ever been bothered by those animals as a result. Yeah, once in a while you have a rogue animal or pack of animals that seems to hunt for the sheer joy of it and that becomes a real nuisance, but most of the time that's not the case. Most of the people who are so eager to see the back of the wolves, I'm sorry, but I think they're just being lazy. Wolves can't climb 8 foot fences. They don't like bothering herds that are protected by dogs.

This attitude it just plain bugs me. There's a woman near here that raises chickens. She knows we have coyote in the area. Does she lock up her chickens at night in their coop? Maintain the chicken wire fence around their area? Nope. Barely half the time. But does she carry on when a coyote actually manages to grab a hen or a few eggs? You bet...

Common sense and farming/ranching, should go hand in hand I would think, but I sure don't see evidence of it sometimes. Animals can only do so much. Humans have the advantage. We know their habits. We have technology they don't. We can share. But usually we don't. We just blame them for being what they are instead, yell about the inconvenience, the loss. But the way i see it they were here first and it's their land really. If we're going to take if from them then the least we can do I think is share it wisely...

10-02-2012, 08:31 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
....no wonder aliens never land and get acquainted!
The Truth Is Out There.
10-02-2012, 08:49 AM   #9
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

QuoteOriginally posted by Sage97 Quote
The Truth Is Out There.
Yeah....but we never seem to find it!

Regards!
10-02-2012, 01:22 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Yeah....but we never seem to find it!

Regards!
Mulder?
10-02-2012, 02:40 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Notice how "we" are always having a "wolf problem" but the wolf is never having a human problem?
10-03-2012, 06:53 AM   #12
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wildman Quote
Notice how "we" are always having a "wolf problem" but the wolf is never having a human problem?
Sounds like that wolf pack had plenty of human problems.
10-03-2012, 07:12 AM   #13
Veteran Member

How exactly were they killed?

Jason
10-03-2012, 08:20 AM   #14
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jasvox Quote
How exactly were they killed?

Jason
Rifles from a helicopter.

Wolf pack that killed cattle taken out by sharpshooters - U.S. News
10-03-2012, 10:58 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Sounds very humane. I bet the copter pilots and the shooters felt like heros.

Jason