Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-01-2012, 07:57 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Eleven years ago we were attacked so we get to do whatever we want forever!

10-01-2012, 08:10 AM - 1 Like   #2
Inactive Account

Exactly the logic of the government. That is why we can never give an inch on our civil liberties or allowing the government to take on a greater role in society because institutionalization will perpetuate that task into perpetuity.
10-01-2012, 08:45 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mikemike Quote
Exactly the logic of the government. That is why we can never give an inch on our civil liberties or allowing the government to take on a greater role in society because institutionalization will perpetuate that task into perpetuity.
You seem to be moving more and more to the far right.
10-01-2012, 09:09 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Court won't hear appeal over TSA scanners - Business - Boston.com

QuoteQuote:
WASHINGTON (AP) — The Supreme Court won’t hear a Michigan man’s attempt to challenge the use of full body scanners at airports.

The high court on Monday refused to hear an appeal by Jonathan Corbett, who wanted to challenge the Transportation Security Administration’s use of full body scanners and/or enhanced pat downs at airport security lines. Federal courts in Florida refused to hear his lawsuit, saying it could only be filed with the federal appeals court in Washington, D.C. The 11th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals upheld the dismissal, and the Supreme Court refused to reopen the case.

The TSA started allowing the use of the advanced imaging technology in October 2010.

10-01-2012, 09:15 AM   #5
Inactive Account

@cardinal43 Not really, I have always viewed warrantless wire tapping, extraordinary rendition, and the PATRIOT act as wrong. Obama hasn't closed gitmo and has increased the use of drone strikes, even using them to execute US Citizens who were never tried or convicted of a crime. Libertarians such as myself are against government healthcare but not reflexively because we hate Obama like republicans. We are against it because at some point, if there is no choice other than the government the purse strings will be pulled shut unceremoniously on some group for political reasons. It might be that abortion providers, HIV/AIDS or some other future disease viewed as a gay disease, urban health centers, rural health concerns that go unaddressed, access to stem cell treatments, or something else completely off our contemporary radar but at some point someone will be overlooked or deliberately targeted. I have no doubt that it would probably be a republican administration that eventually abuses the power of government over people's health care but these government encroachments into our lives are concerning for similar reasons.

Peter Lynch's advice is as important in government as it is in the business world.
QuoteQuote:
When somebody says, “Any idiot could run this joint,” that’s a plus as far as I’m concerned, because sooner or later any idiot probably is going to be running it.
10-01-2012, 10:47 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mikemike Quote
@cardinal43 Not really, I have always viewed warrantless wire tapping, extraordinary rendition, and the PATRIOT act as wrong. Obama hasn't closed gitmo and has increased the use of drone strikes, even using them to execute US Citizens who were never tried or convicted of a crime. Libertarians such as myself are against government healthcare but not reflexively because we hate Obama like republicans. We are against it because at some point, if there is no choice other than the government the purse strings will be pulled shut unceremoniously on some group for political reasons. It might be that abortion providers, HIV/AIDS or some other future disease viewed as a gay disease, urban health centers, rural health concerns that go unaddressed, access to stem cell treatments, or something else completely off our contemporary radar but at some point someone will be overlooked or deliberately targeted. I have no doubt that it would probably be a republican administration that eventually abuses the power of government over people's health care but these government encroachments into our lives are concerning for similar reasons.

Peter Lynch's advice is as important in government as it is in the business world.
O/T.. gets messy doesn't it..............

California Bans Gay Conversion Therapy for Minors - ABC News

QuoteQuote:
Therapy aimed at changing the sexual orientation of minors who say they are gay has been outlawed in California, the first state to adopt such legislation. California Gov. Jerry Brown announced he had signed the bill on Sunday.
The bill’s sponsor, Calif. State Sen. Ted Lieu, said the so-called “conversion therapy,” “sexual orientation therapy,” “reparative therapy,” or “sexual orientation change efforts” — amounts to ”psychological child abuse.”
“No one should stand idly by while children are being psychological abused, and anyone who forces a child to try to change their sexual orientation must understand this is unacceptable,” Lieu said in a statement released Sunday.
Supporters of the bill, which takes effect Jan. 1, included gay rights group as well as health organizations such as California’s Board of Behavioral Sciences and California Psychological Association. Critics have argued the therapy can cause emotional damage to patients.
But opponents of the Lieu bill had denounced it as infringing on parents’ rights.
“Your bill will turn California into a nanny state by usurping the civil rights of parents who support their child’s right to receive therapy for unwanted same-sex attractions, especially when that child has been sexually molested. This smacks of fascism and ex-gay bashing,” the California-based group Parents and Friends of Ex-Gays and Gays wrote in an open letter to Lieu in August.
10-01-2012, 01:09 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I had a good friend once who's parents basically forced him into a program like this several times. By the time he was of legal age he was totally screwed up mentally and yes, still gay. It cost him like 50K in therapy to fix the damage caused by their idea of therapy. Yeah, I think it's child abuse. You bet I do. You might as well just beat your kid every day and be done with it. The damage will be the same in the end.

If an adult wants to get into a program like that whatever. That's their call. I don't see much chance of it working but that's their decision. But kids? They're small human beings and they should have a right to decide something so personal for themselves. No one is trying to keep kids who have been molested out of therapy. But keeping bigots from attempting to make more bigots and mentally torturing their kids while they're at it? I definitely think CA has it right here and I'm really hoping other states follow their lead on this one.

These kids they just don't deserve that pain, that guilt. They deserve to be able to be themselves. Whatever that is. Let them choose that therapy when they are older if they understand it and want it. But don't force it on them. Their minds are fragile enough already....

Last edited by magkelly; 10-01-2012 at 01:15 PM.
10-01-2012, 02:06 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Sweetening the totalitarian pot

mikemike.. looky what Jindles fav. is doing now..................

QuoteQuote:
Governor Scott Walker joined Attorney General J.B. Van Hollen, Major General Donald Dunbar, and Assistant Secretary for Department of Homeland Security, Betsy Markey, along with federal, state and local law enforcement officials to launch the “If You See Something, Say Something” campaign in Wisconsin. The national public awareness campaign is coordinated by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security to encourage citizens to report suspicious activity.

“Our first line of defense against crime and terrorism is our citizens,” said Walker in a press release. “When you see something suspicious, call local law enforcement and report it. Citizen tips have helped law enforcement do their job in stopping criminals, terrorism-related crime, and keeping our friends and family members safe.”

The “If You See Something, Say Something” campaign will be featured on billboards on major highways across the state.
VOICE of Wisconsin Rapids

another "mixed bag"......................
10-02-2012, 07:07 AM   #9
Veteran Member

@mikemike: Thanks for replying -- even though I don't agree with you, I appreciate the effort.