Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-05-2012, 06:54 AM   #1
Inactive Account

So much for being a largely secular state with freedom of speech.

Yep, what they did was provocative, but they had a very good point to make and shouldn't have been censored in the way they were. I also find it interesting that it wasn't until the pineapple was re-named Jesus that people got directly involved - does rather give the lie to 'Muslims are violent',

Reading University's Atheist Society 'Thrown Out Of Fair Over Blasphemous Mohammed Pineapple'

10-05-2012, 07:11 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Britain's laws pertaining to speech are different from ours, so I can't comment on the rights there.

However, here, freedom of speech means that the government does not throw you in jail for speech. It does not mean that a university (especially if it is private) can't exercise some editorial discretion in a publication or a presentation. This is a close one, but if a display does nothing more than insult Christians or Muslims, it may not fit into this fair. Even here, you don't get to stand on the corner and insult passers-by with empty invective. Labeling a pineapple with the name of the most revered personage of either of the world's two largest religions is not all that far off that.
10-05-2012, 11:54 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteQuote:
The society displayed a pineapple bearing the name Mohammed on their stall, to "encourage discussion about blasphemy, religion, and liberty".

"We wanted to celebrate the fact that we live in a country in which free speech is protected, and where it is lawful to call a pineapple by whatever name one chooses," a society spokesperson said.
Well, the whole thing's just absolutely absurd. I don't see what labelling a pineapple with the name Mohammed (or Jesus for that matter) is supposed to add to the 'discussion about blasphemy, religion and liberty'. Strikes me as a rather childish stunt intended to provoke for it's own sake.
10-05-2012, 04:37 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ihasa Quote
Well, the whole thing's just absolutely absurd. I don't see what labelling a pineapple with the name Mohammed (or Jesus for that matter) is supposed to add to the 'discussion about blasphemy, religion and liberty'. Strikes me as a rather childish stunt intended to provoke for it's own sake.
Pretty much my take, as well.

10-05-2012, 07:46 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I rather think that the point was the absurdity of it all; that people could get offended by them naming a pineapple - surely one of any creator god's creations - after a god's prophet.
Closed Thread