Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-07-2012, 09:53 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Importing beluga whales from the wild -- again

I'm not sure whether this might verge on "political", but maybe controversial, so I'm putting it here.
Aquariums are still out there catching cetaceans & sticking them in tanks for "educational purposes"... sigh...
Apparently the Georgia aquarium wants to capture & import 18 Belugas from Russia. Any bets how long they'll survive? And apparently there are still 40 (40!!!?!?!) at Marineland in questionable conditions.
I've worked briefly with captive dolphins. Seen both sides of the debate. As much as they are loved & as hard as staff try to take care of them & keep them happy, they don't belong in tanks.
Here's a petition against it, for what it's worth.

Georgia Aquarium Wants To Import Wild Captive Beluga Whales | Global Animal

10-08-2012, 02:48 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Shame. There may be a case for keeping some cetaceans in captivity (for conservation awareness) but not in the current 'Seaworld' model, so I will sign the petition.