Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
10-11-2012, 01:51 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gokenin Quote
I do find it funny however that a thread started to ask why an African American women is being attacked for her support for Romney has been converted into the usual anti-republican attacks because they are the party of old white men and is nothing but a bunch or rascists and the minorities in the party are nothing but modern day Jim Crows. Ah we'll please continue the conversation at you leisure
I think you meant uncle Toms.

I think it's been established so far that the African American vote has remained relatively flat at ~85-90% for Democrats and right wing Christians at ~75-80% for Republicans. The race of the candidate doesn't seem to matter much, and the OP was just plain wrong. Sure racism is a factor in this country; but black voters, as a whole, aren't racist simply because a man, who calls himself Snoop Lion of all things, happens to be. The problem lies in which demographics the parties are going after. And as far as the hate mail she's receiving, this is the internet age. Go look at anywhere where there's a comments section, for a partisan article, and there's a flame war going on.

10-11-2012, 02:09 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I do find it funny however that a thread started to ask why an African American women is being attacked for her support for Romney has been converted into the usual anti-republican attacks because they are the party of old white men and is nothing but a bunch or rascists and the minorities in the party are nothing but modern day Jim Crows. Ah we'll please continue the conversation at you leisure
I'd find that funny too, I find it even funnier that you, despite attributing the words to some un-named person , are the only one calling the thread anti-Republican and called the Republicans Jim Crows sic. I guess it would be nicer if we pointed out that the Republicans are the party of Sara Palin, that champion of women's rights and $750,000 wardrobes. I personally have nothing against anyone who supports Romney. If you honestly believe he is what's best for the country then it's your patriotic duty to vote for him. And I won't call you a racist for doing so. Please extend the same courtesy to people not the same colour as you.

I guess for some anglos, it comes a surprise that some black people are racists. I understand your outrage. I've been outraged by white racists for years, the last incident 2 weeks ago. But if you can find a whole race of people somewhere who somehow have managed to avoid having some of their members be racist, I've yet to hear anyone claim that. Given that some whites are racist and not worthy of respect, it goes without saying some blacks, hispanics , greeks, tasmanians, Siberians or anybody else might also be racists. As far as I know no one has a monopoly.
10-11-2012, 05:38 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Your original post 'seems' to be trying to tie two contradictory memes together, there Mikemike.

As for Romney, on the occasion I was something like an equal citizen in my own state after the courts ruled it out, Romney didn't think *twice* (After making promises not to mess with LGBT rights when running as a moderate Republican for governor, ) about dragging out an overtly-racist anti-miscegenation law from 1914 to stop people from getting married in MA. All while people claim that 'Somehow it's the conservatives that are racist.'

You're no one to talk, anyway. People trying to play the 'reverse race' card both ways doesn't make any more sense than usual.

Yes, the GOP loves to apply tokenism about black or Asian or Indian Republicans... As long as they act twice as rabid and are Fundie Christians.

Bobby Jindal doesn't impress me. Just so. Call me back when someone can be of Indian extraction and be a practicing Hindu, or something, before you try flipping *that* narrative. The non-arch-conservatives aren't the ones who think what *color* someone is is *that* big a deal. But people willing to put a different color face on more of the same anti-diversity just aren't gonna make it with most.

And claiming Romney's got a problem with minority voters of any kind cause he's *white* *or* a right-wing Christianist and that constitutes *reverse bigotry* just means you ain't watched C-span lately. There are fewer women and minorities in Congress *now* than during the Clinton administration.

(And for Normhead, if people don't like Romney, the first thing to look at sure isn't 'Reverse racism.' It's his own damn words and policies. Toward anyone not rich or as waspy as he: he even cheesed off the British with that attitude.)

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 10-11-2012 at 05:48 PM.
10-11-2012, 10:39 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Oh please anyone who would even suggest that only white people can be racist has never lived in a big city obviously. I got slugged by some woman in CA who's skin was browner than mine just because I mildly objected to her cutting in line at the McDonald's there. She called me names I'd never have used in reverse on her and clearly hated me for being white. I've also seen Asians who hate blacks and blacks who hate Hispanics, and ultra orthodox Jews who won't allow someone to cross their threshold who isn't. People can be such bigots sometimes no matter who they are.

To be fair the reverse is also true. I've walked in Harlem and made friends there. Ditto Chinatown in two big cities. You have good people and racist people anywhere you go. Me, I've always looked at nature at how many different colors of animals there are and taken my cue from there. It's just a skin color, a question of where your ancestors settled on the planet and how much sun and minerals and stuff that they got. Peel a few layers back and we all bleed pink. Who cares really? Culture and religion that can be another thing. There are some cultures and religions that I just don't care for at all. I don't like cultures that tend to treat women like chattel. But it's not about how brown someone's skin is. It's about how they choose to treat other people.

I don't like racism no matter who is sprouting it but I don't like ideology or faith being used as a reason to discriminate against people either. I was definitely raised on too much Trek, I will admit. Uhura being African, her kissing Kirk, what a scandal that was back in the day, but to me as a kid watching that it just wasn't even an issue. Uhura was just African and her skin was brown the same as Sulu was Japanese and he had different eyes from most of the cast. It was just a quirk of biology and nothing to remark upon. I mean heck the guy with the pointed ears and semi-green skin he was a lot more strange when you got down to it and I had no problem with Spock at all either. In fact, I came to really love that character. Spock is like The Doctor to me. You just can't touch him. He's too cool for words....

Accepting people from the same planet? That's nothing compared to routinely accepting a Klingon or an Andorian. I mean think about it. If the people on this planet are squawking so much over a bit more brown what are they going to do when someone purple or green or a guy with 20 tentacles or sixty eyes instead of hands shows up? Alien Nation, I think that was a pretty good series actually that really addressed that question. Watching the aliens try to intermix, watching how ridiculous black vs white seemed compared to that I think it was definitely a brain teaser of sorts and I wondered at the time how many people really got what that series was trying to say, what Trek was trying to say in it's day.

Skin color? Such a little thing compared to some of the differences we might face when we finally do find life forms "out there" as they say. Everybody wants ET to come to Earth but do they really? Could they even handle it? I wonder when they can't even handle the differences between the people already here? I doubt it.

10-12-2012, 05:59 AM   #20
Veteran Member

It's distressing to be on the receiving end of 'reverse racism'. But as I dab the tears away from my male caucasian face, I am comforted by the fact that the sort of racism that really counts, is generally working in my favour.

Last edited by ihasa; 10-12-2012 at 06:18 AM.
10-12-2012, 06:08 AM   #21
Veteran Member

And it is somehow inappropriate that a discussion of why some would find a vote for a Republican president contrary to the interests of African Americans turns into a discussion of why that vote is in fact contrary to the interests of African Americans?

When it comes to political policies, racist is as racist does. Just the recent black voter suppression history, alone, is enough to remind one of the purpose of many Jim Crow laws. In 2000, Florida Republicans kept 12,000 eligible black voters off the rolls. If only a small fraction of those stricken had actually voted given the ratio which black Americans went for Al Gore, George W. Bush could not have been selected President.

When did Republicans start to get percentages of the African American vote in single digits? It was in 1964, after Democrats promoted the act and the Republicans began to be the receptacle for those opposed to the Civil Rights Act. Eisenhower had gotten 40% of that vote, and even Nixon got 31% over Kennedy.

Last edited by GeneV; 10-12-2012 at 04:36 PM.
10-12-2012, 06:57 AM   #22
Veteran Member

What's really strange is why blacks are Democrats since it was Republicans that freed slaves and the southern bloc of Democrats and Byrd opposed the civil rights act of 64

QuoteQuote:
The bill came before the full Senate for debate on March 30, 1964 and the "Southern Bloc" of 18 southern Democratic Senators and one Republican Senator led by Richard Russell (D-GA) launched a filibuster to prevent its passage.[10] Said Russell: "We will resist to the bitter end any measure or any movement which would have a tendency to bring about social equality and intermingling and amalgamation of the races in our (Southern) states."[11]
The most fervent opposition to the bill came from Senator Strom Thurmond (D-SC): "This so-called Civil Rights Proposals, which the President has sent to Capitol Hill for enactment into law, are unconstitutional, unnecessary, unwise and extend beyond the realm of reason. This is the worst civil-rights package ever presented to the Congress and is reminiscent of the Reconstruction proposals and actions of the radical Republican Congress."[12]
After 54 days of filibuster, Senators Everett Dirksen (R-IL), Thomas Kuchel (R-CA), Hubert Humphrey (D-MN), and Mike Mansfield (D-MT) introduced a substitute bill that they hoped would attract enough Republican swing votes to end the filibuster. The compromise bill was weaker than the House version in regard to government power to regulate the conduct of private business, but it was not so weak as to cause the House to reconsider the legislation.[13]
On the morning of June 10, 1964, Senator Robert Byrd (D-W.Va.) completed a filibustering address that he had begun 14 hours and 13 minutes earlier opposing the legislation. Until then, the measure had occupied the Senate for 57 working days, including six Saturdays. A day earlier, Democratic Whip Hubert Humphrey of Minnesota, the bill's manager, concluded he had the 67 votes required at that time to end the debate and end the filibuster. With six wavering senators providing a four-vote victory margin, the final tally stood at 71 to 29. Never in history had the Senate been able to muster enough votes to cut off a filibuster on a civil rights bill. And only once in the 37 years since 1927 had it agreed to cloture for any measure.[

10-12-2012, 04:34 PM   #23
Veteran Member

The Republican Presidential candidate in 1964 opposed the Civil Rights Act. 93% of the representatives from the South voted against the Civil Rights Act. From what party are the people representing the views and the areas which voted against the Civil Rights Act, today? To what party did Strom Thurmond go after the Civil Rights Act? Lyndon Johnson stated that after the Act, the Democrats had lost the South for generations.

Last edited by GeneV; 10-12-2012 at 04:46 PM.
10-12-2012, 05:13 PM   #24
Pentaxian

Lyndon Johnson stated that after the Act, the Democrats had lost the South for generations.

The states had the right to enact most of the provisions of the civil rights act, they chose not to. White every where benefited from the inequality. In this climate, where the many southerners would reimpose the Jim Crow laws given a chance, you have to ask, do any of them care about anything but lining their own pockets on the backs of others. Northern entitlement is just as strong but not as open. My cousin moved back to Atlanta after years in Cincy because she preferred the open hostility of the south to the smile to your face act ignorant behind your back attitudes of the north. She felt southerners were more honest. IN the south you know where you stand. So in the middle of this still insane climate of hatred and repression, you have people complaining about reverse discrimination.

I could stories about racism in both the US and Canada until morning if I wanted too. That's just part of life as a person of colour. Hard to believe that someone has to dig up tales of racism from the press. Most people of colour have personal experience.

But I'll throw one at you from my working career.

I applied for the Technical Studies Headship in the high school I worked in. The guy who was next in line didn't have a high school certificate, he was qualified to teach elementary. I'd worked in 5 different high schools under seven different heads and had seen every management style out there. He'd worked in one high school under one department head. I had 15 years experience he had 9. I actually had a fellow teacher suggest I got the job because of "reverse discrimination." Reverse discrimination is what you call it when a black person get's ahead. it's obvious to some white folk they couldn't possibly succeed on merit. Given that the Civil Rights Act was passed years 40 years ago, it's just sad that this is still going on. You can legislates what is right but you can't change people's hearts. And there are still a lot of people with dark, desolate hearts.
10-12-2012, 08:40 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Just some perspective here...

Silly little teabaggers. The nation will eventually pass you through and out like something indigestible, accidentally swallowed.
10-13-2012, 06:20 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Here is a slightly different perspective
10-13-2012, 10:56 AM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote

Silly little teabaggers. The nation will eventually pass you through and out like something indigestible, accidentally swallowed.
backstory,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Romney supporter wears racially charged t-shirt to campaign rally in Ohio - Los Angeles Political Buzz | Examiner.com
Closed Thread