Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-10-2012, 03:21 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Recommendations for High quality Headphones and compact audio system

Hi Good folks at PF! I was wondering if any of you could make some recommendations for good headphones and compact audio system(to plug in my ipod). I think I have read somewhere here in general talk that Bose is overrated as a system. However, as a layperson that is the only brand that I hear of. I would like to get educated if there is an expert or two here. Many thanks!

10-10-2012, 05:02 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I can't really make much recommendations aside from visiting Head-Fi and checking out the reviews on their site.

It's what I did - ended up getting myself the Fischer Audio FA-003 headphones, along with the FiiO E11 amplifier. My iPod plugs into the amp using the iPod connector (called a LOD connector) and then the headphones into the amp.

Very happy with my purchase. Some might say its overkill for an iPod but since you can have lossless audio (ALAC) then it's a brilliant idea really
10-10-2012, 08:00 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Do some research on current model Tube Amps.....Like Mcintosh or for way less money Dared......
10-10-2012, 08:20 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thank you!

Thank you Vylen and Corta - thanks to your suggestions I am looking at a whole new range of products that may satisfy my listening needs. will let you know when i settle on something. Many thanks again.

10-11-2012, 12:31 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Depends on how much you're willing to spend on a compact audio system with ipod connection -- but if you're even mentioning the Bose wave system, then I guess you're thinking of at least $300+. I bought this Yamaha table radio system last year and like it a lot, works with both ipod and iphone. It's attractive and has great sound.

TSX-130 - Desktop Audio - Audio & Visual - Products - Yamaha United States
10-11-2012, 12:47 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Here are some other recommendations:

Tivoli Audio - Model One® Radio - Table Radios - Products (no ipod dock but offers an audio-in connection)
Tivoli Audio - iPAL® (same)
Duo-i plus AM/FM Stereo Radio with iPhone iPod Dock | Home Audio | Boston Acoustics US
WR-5 : FM-RDS (RBDS) / AM / Aux-in<br>Tabletop Wooden Cabinet Receiver Compatible with iPod
10-11-2012, 12:52 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Nice alternative to the Bose noise-cancelling headphones:

Audio-Technica - Microphones, headphones, wireless microphone systems, noise-cancelling headphones & more : ATH-ANC9 : QuietPoint
10-12-2012, 05:37 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thank you very much seventysixersfan! I learned quite a bit from the links you were kind enough to post.

10-12-2012, 10:57 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I got a pair of Sennheiser headphones via a raffle recently and I'm completely impressed with just the $100 wireless model. They have models up to like 2K, pro sets. I can only imagine that if the $100 set I have is this good those must simply be out of this world. Judging from the reviews I've read they probably are.
10-12-2012, 11:08 AM   #10
Pentaxian

I too can vouch for Sennheiser. I have a pair of in-ear earbuds from them and they sound fantastic.
10-12-2012, 01:22 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thank you magkelly for that recommendation. Congratulations on winning the raffle!
Sennheiser does come up often in my search for a quality headphone.
10-12-2012, 03:55 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mccarvindh Quote
Thank you magkelly for that recommendation. Congratulations on winning the raffle! Sennheiser does come up often in my search for a quality headphone.
Actually it was my Dad that won, and twice no less. Two times he won the same headphones. He has one pair and I have the other. I sure wish he had luck like that playing the lotto every week! :P But yeah, they are stellar headphones.
10-12-2012, 04:33 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
One of the issues with sound systems is that it is just like some aspects of photography, it is very subjective. Everybody's listening preferences are going to be different so the speaker or headphone that one person loves, another thinks is mediocre. One comment I'll make is that even with my ears, damaged by 40 years of working around heavy trucks, air tools, and equipment, I can tell the difference between compressed music from MP3's and Ipods and a good quality stereo. I would not be inclined to spend a lot of money on high end headphones or speakers for an Ipod. What you are listening to also makes a difference. Jazz, rock, classical? Take a trip to an electronics/stereo store and take a good listen to what they have on display. Get something with a good cord. After raising 3 kids over a 30 year period, I have seen every portable music player system going back to cassette tapes. Most headphones sound good. Every headset we ever threw away was not because of sound quality but because they broke and usually it was the cord. If you're looking at Bose, many of their products can be bought at warehouse club stores like Costco or BJ's for half the price of other outlets, even online sellers.
10-12-2012, 04:34 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
As a radio guy, audio buff and musician, I've listened to quite a few studio monitor headphones and my favorites are the Fostex T20RP. A lot of headphones have grossly exaggerated bass, (which I can't tolerate) but the T20RPs are flat as a board, smooth, and very non-fatiguing. The Sony MDR-7506 studio monitors are also good, but a bit on the bright side.

If you're on a tighter budget, try the Sony MDR-V150 phones. They're surprisingly flat, don't have the bloated bass of a lot of phones, and are comfortable. I wear them all day, everyday in my radio gig. You have to be kinda careful of them because the headband is prone to breaking if you're rough on them, but for $20, they're a steal. And better than most other sub-$100 phones.

Good luck,
Bobbo :-)
10-13-2012, 09:15 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
These are some factors for considering headphones:

1. How do they fit? Do they have ear cups that completely cover my ears? (Those are my favorites since they seem to be the most comfortable and the most isolated.) Or, do they have ear cups that are flat and rest on top of the ear? Or, are they the ear bud-type?

2. Are they wired or wireless? I am liking the Logitech G930 pair that I have. (Both wireless and completely cover my ears.)

3. How do they sound? The Logitech pair that I have are meant for gaming. However, I feel that they sound good enough for home audio. That said, there are many choices from other brands that are meant only for home audio as opposed to PC's.