Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
10-17-2012, 01:12 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Debate 2 to the incumbent

If the President who debated tonight had shown up for the first debate, the Romney campaign would be nailed away in its coffin and buried. Romney wasn't able to run away from his positions in the GOP Primary, and he sounded vacuous on his tax plan. He is starting to sound like a bad sales pitch.

Oddly enough, though, the killer was Libya--the same topic which started his campaign in its slide that ended with the first debate. He stood there like a petulant child wanting the moderator and audience to punish the President for saying something which was true, and he ended up with a rap on the knuckles. When this man is prodded and tested, he makes mistakes. It was true in the primary as well. The moderator gave him an opening to come back, and he blew it.

The final Romney faux pas was bringing up being the president for 100% of the people in what served as the candidate closings. This invited a Presidential jab with the 47% gaffe.

We'll hear even more about this:

And many, many more, appearing almost instantly. Binders Full Of Women
https://www.facebook.com/romneybindersfullofwomen
https://twitter.com/Romneys_Binder

Last edited by GeneV; 10-17-2012 at 02:07 AM.
10-17-2012, 03:11 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Lol... you just never know where the next internet meme is going to come from do you?

Funny, but so silly and has little to do with whatever point Romney was trying to make!
10-17-2012, 03:11 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Sadly, I think by now that most people who are voting have already chosen their party, er candidate and no matter how well or badly the perception and media spin is after the debate, they are mostly just talking points and media fodder rather than thought provoking debates. I know this sounds dangerously cynical, but I feel it's the truth.

That being said, I may actually set my alarm for the middle of the night in order to watch the third debate, centering around foreign policy. Being a heavily traveler and a natural conversationalist, I talk to many people around the world almost daily (not, not online) and if the foreign perception of the USA matters to anyone, Romney shouldn't stand a chance in the rest of the world.

We'll see.

Jason
10-17-2012, 03:16 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Mind The Binder - Talking Politics

QuoteQuote:
Not a true story.

What actually happened was that in 2002 -- prior to the election, not even knowing yet whether it would be a Republican or Democratic administration -- a bipartisan group of women in Massachusetts formed MassGAP to address the problem of few women in senior leadership positions in state government. There were more than 40 organizations involved with the Massachusetts Women's Political Caucus (also bipartisan) as the lead sponsor.

They did the research and put together the binder full of women qualified for all the different cabinet positions, agency heads, and authorities and commissions. They presented this binder to Governor Romney when he was elected.

10-17-2012, 03:23 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jasvox Quote
Sadly, I think by now that most people who are voting have already chosen their party, er candidate and no matter how well or badly the perception and media spin is after the debate, they are mostly just talking points and media fodder
This is true. There are still undecided voters, but if they're STILL undecided at this late stage, it's likely the debates won't have much impact and they'll probably just go with their 'gutfeel' on polling day!
10-17-2012, 04:05 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Chris Hayes on MSNBC nailed it last night.

QuoteQuote:
The theme of the last 10 years of this country is that the people at the top don't think the rules apply to them. And you send your people to sit down and negotiate a set of rules, and 20 minutes into it you throw it out the window. Everything we've seen, from the financial crisis to every thing else that's happened to this country has been about the Oligarchs and the ruling class, and the people at the top, feeling like they are not a party to the social contract. So some stupid little contract that was negotiated by your people, you don't worry about it 20 minutes into it.
Will there even be a debate #3?

Last edited by boriscleto; 10-17-2012 at 04:13 AM.
10-17-2012, 04:13 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ihasa Quote
This is true. There are still undecided voters, but if they're STILL undecided at this late stage, it's likely the debates won't have much impact and they'll probably just go with their 'gutfeel' on polling day!
My current summary of election strategies: you can tranquilize the voter - so they feel good about what's going on and so support the incumbent - but at the risk of them feeling so tranquil they never make it to the voting booth... or you can hop them up on speed or add meds, so they feel anxious and are likely to vote, but also may be dissatisfied with the incumbent. But the challenger often is anxiety provoking (change is stressful), and so needs to have some tranqs ready... what you want is to pin the anxiety on your opponent and the tranq on yourself, and get them to vote because they don't want the opponent. Of course the drugs are administered via advertisements and talking heads....

10-17-2012, 05:13 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
This statement, too, is misleading. While 42 percent of Romney’s appointments during his first 1/2 years as governor were women, the number of women in high-level appointed positions actually declined 27.6 percent during his full tenure as governor, according to a 2007 MassGAP study.
Romney?s ?binders full of women? comment branded lie!
10-17-2012, 05:22 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Did Obama give a straight up answer to a single question?
10-17-2012, 05:25 AM   #10
Veteran Member

"Voting" w/ your wallet...........

Who won the debate? Oddsmakers weigh in - The Washington Post

QuoteQuote:
The votes on well-known political betting site Intrade.com reflected a jump in the president’s chances from 61.7 percent just before the debate to 64.1 percent shortly afterward.

Similar jumps could be seen in other markets, too. At the betting site Betfair.com, the president’s chances jumped 2.7 percentage points during that period, and on the Iowa Electronic Markets, run out of the University of Iowa, his chances were up about 2.4 percentage points in that time frame.
10-17-2012, 05:29 AM   #11
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by seacapt Quote
Romney should have pointed out that chrysler belongs to the Italians and Ford didnt take a gov bailout.

And yes, the goverment still uses binders for cv's.
10-17-2012, 05:35 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

10-17-2012, 05:35 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Romney should have pointed out that chrysler belongs to the Italians and Ford didnt take a gov bailout.

And yes, the goverment still uses binders for cv's.
Yet the CEO of Ford supported the bailouts.. during and after...............losing line of defense......

QuoteQuote:
And as Ford's chief executive, Alan Mulally, pointed out during a visit with The Times' editorial board Tuesday, "There was nobody that was going to give them money for [debtor-in-possession] financing."

Mulally's comments weren't offered as a criticism of Romney. Rather, he was defending Ford's decision to go to Congress with GM and Chrysler in 2008 to call for a federal rescue. Ford didn't need the money itself -- it had previously arranged a multibillion-dollar line of private credit. But Mulally said he believed then, just as he believes now, that GM and Chrysler threatened to drag the entire country into a depression.
Ford's CEO has no regrets about call for bailout - Los Angeles Times
10-17-2012, 05:39 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Guess that is in the "eye of the beholder"...............
Joe Biden: Mitt Romney 'Had Nothing But A Sketchy Response To Everything'

QuoteQuote:
"There's no direct answers to any questions," he added, saying that he suspects the answers are vague because Romney's policies, "really do mirror the policies of George Bush on the economy, and they don't want to talk about it."
In re: to what I mentioned earlier.........
QuoteQuote:
Biden said he meant that he and President Barack Obama were not personally aware of the requests. "It never got to us," Biden said.

A bit more on the Apple store.......
QuoteQuote:
Ms. Angelson is also quick to point out that photos of other knock-off Apple stores came to her from across the world, and that even a fake Apple store in Queens, New York, was shut down after she posted a photo of it online.

“It is more of a global issue, but it doesn’t create as nice a story as China ripping off Apple stores,” she said.

Although Ms. Angelson’s small place in the annals of U.S. presidential debate history is assured, she said for the most part all the attention her blog garnered hadn’t helped her too much.
“There were people who assumed I was a tech blogger. Unfortunately I’m not. If I were, this would have made my career….and unfortunately from that perspective I was working in public health and working in a rural maternity clinic, I was working in HIV prevention and those were the things that interest me and so I continue to write about those things,” she said.

Ultimately she said the experience taught her there needs to be much better understanding in the U.S. about China.

“For all that is written in the news about China in the U.S. everyday, very little is understood… there’s a lot more to be seen and heard, [for people in the U.S.] to be more sophisticated about that country,” she said.
http://blogs.wsj.com/chinarealtime/2012/10/17/china-fake-apple-store-blogger...ing-the-story/

Last edited by jeffkrol; 10-17-2012 at 05:44 AM.
10-17-2012, 06:16 AM - 2 Likes   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
He tried that in the first debate and learned better. More points are awarded for aggression and evasion.

Did Romney answer a question in either debate? What deduction is he cutting? What will he do about assault weapons or should he do anything? Fast and Furious was not an answer to the question, and the praise of the 2d Amendment came from the President. What will Gov. Romney actually do with the 12 million undocumented immigrants here? Exactly how will he get that first young man a job? Binders full of women in 2002 is not an answer to what he will do about equal pay. ...and on and on.

I said after the first debate that I'd rather see more substance and less on who commanded the room. I was overruled by tens of millions of votes the other way.

Last edited by GeneV; 10-17-2012 at 07:35 AM.
Closed Thread