Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
10-17-2012, 07:42 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Another Obama Investment Goes Belly Up

A123 filed for bankruptcy today, thrown under the bus by fellow Obama investment, Fisker. Add this $1/4 billion to the $1/2 billion lost on Solyndra and the $120 million lost on Ener1 but it is a drop in the bucket compared to the $25 billion we will lose on the auto bailout. And I wonder how the Citi shakeup yesterday will affect our ability to recoup taxpayers money on that bailout.

If the president's job is to invest, invest, invest maybe we should have one who can do it successfully.

10-17-2012, 07:45 AM - 2 Likes   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Is there anyone like that running? What was Bain's failure rate while Mitt was there. If memory serves me well it was over 20%. But you knew that, this is just a little election grade propaganda right?
10-17-2012, 09:14 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Is there anyone like that running? What was Bain's failure rate while Mitt was there. If memory serves me well it was over 20%. But you knew that, this is just a little election grade propaganda right?
Actually his success rate was 78%

Obama's is 0%
Solyndra
Fiskers
GM (Sure, it was successful if you think the taxpayer losing billions is successful and putting folks out of work and shutting dealerships and division down is "successful")
Chrysler (Between the union and Fiat we still lose.)
10-17-2012, 09:29 AM   #4
Pentaxian

SO, what's worse, a guy who picks and chooses his battles and has a 22% failure rate, or a guy reacting to a situation with a 100% failure rate. Why would you put a guy with a 22% failure rate on investments he chose, in charge of a country, where he'd have no choice. You inference is one if better than the other. I know it's critical to your position that folks buy into your logic, but the simple fact is, it can be seen both ways.

Romney is good at doing what's good for investors. How is he going to break up, and sell off and America? His tactics work for a small percentage of wealthy Americans, but there is nothing that suggests anything he does would be good for the whole country. Unless he's planning to sell it to China. Y'all can come up here and live in Canada when that happens. But it's going to cost you. The 200,000 former citizens of Mass will testify to that. But hey, imagine if you will, a man who claims he reduced unemployment, when in fact he reduced the labour pool by 200,000 citizens were living in his jurisdiction. That's twilight zone stuff.

I have to say, the US wants a plan, but, too many rich Americans just want to cruise on easy street. They want a recovery, but they want poor folk to pay for it. And as far as I can tell, there is no one in American politics willing to tell rich folk to buck up and pay their fair share. ANd if they did, they wouldn't get a dime in campaign funding, and the fact that they once wet their pants in kindergarden would be blasting from the air waves every 30 seconds.

10-17-2012, 09:38 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnInIndy Quote
Actually his success rate was 78%

Obama's is 0%
Solyndra
Fiskers
Utterly false. The success rate of the DOE loan program is closer to 96%. What Abound Solar’s Bankruptcy Says About the DOE Loan Program : Greentech Media
10-17-2012, 09:53 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I'm probably talking dumb here, but I'd rather have seen the govt fund various research programs in universities, and let the fruits thereof be funded by private equity, the traditional way. It is possible the loan guarantees were needed, what with the period of very tight credit that existed.
10-17-2012, 10:46 AM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Regardless, I'd rather see tax dollars used in failed ventures here than failed ventures overseas (as in Afghanistan and Iraq).

10-17-2012, 10:48 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
Regardless, I'd rather see tax dollars used in failed ventures here than failed ventures overseas (as in Afghanistan and Iraq).
plus 4 (trillion)..............
10-17-2012, 11:13 AM   #9
Veteran Member

But think of all the ammo, bombs, and materiel we export to Iran and Afganistan... that should be a factor in our balance of trade
10-17-2012, 11:52 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
But think of all the ammo, bombs, and materiel we export to Iran and Afganistan... that should be a factor in our balance of trade
well defense spending is the romney "stimulus"...........
10-17-2012, 12:05 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jeffkrol Quote
The other being the explosion in deficit spending if he manages to get his tax package enacted
10-17-2012, 12:06 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jeffkrol Quote
Sure as heck sounds like it, though so far only with subtle back handed comments. I'm looking forward to the foreign policy debate next week, I think America will see a face they truly do not like.
10-17-2012, 12:19 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
The other being the explosion in deficit spending if he manages to get his tax package enacted
QuoteOriginally posted by pxpaulx Quote
Sure as heck sounds like it, though so far only with subtle back handed comments. I'm looking forward to the foreign policy debate next week, I think America will see a face they truly do not like.
OF course he can't just spend trillions on "the takers".... So manuf. of arms is one of the few remaining viable industries...

It will work.. mostly for the 1%.................of course.

As to a Romney "we don't like" well........he is white...........

IF he has this much public support being the "flip flop king" he is.. well I'm not sure much will change that............
10-17-2012, 12:31 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
Utterly false. The success rate of the DOE loan program is closer to 96%. What Abound Solar’s Bankruptcy Says About the DOE Loan Program : Greentech Media
Actually, just abotu all the 'figures' Mikemike cited are false or not what he claims them to be. Solyndra, for instance, was granted that much in *loan guarantees,* that's not a half a million dollars down the tubes for taxpayers: rather, the company was competing against countries who *were* better supporting their alternative energy, not to mention others in America. And retroactively-blaming the dealership closings that weren't about manufacturing, but rather the GMAC financing company that was acting like the rest of the credit industry, and also pushing vehicles people couldn't afford to drive in the Bush recession for things they couldn't have: this was a *cause* for the bailout, not a result* of the *highly successful bailout* that mikemike wants to wave a figure of will for some reason cost seventy five billion,' ...to blame Obama for the Bush era policies Romney wants to redouble.

Not enough's made of it really, but if the economic recovery has been slow for the regular people, that's because the GOP began its obstructionism in Congress on day two of the administration. Romney and Ryan simply aren't telling the truth when they try to lay the blame for the state of affairs on 'Obama policies' because they've been the ones who delayed and at least limited what the real policies *we voted for* were meant to be.
10-17-2012, 12:35 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pxpaulx Quote
I'm looking forward to the foreign policy debate next week, I think America will see a face they truly do not like.
I would not be so sure. Many of us are borderline jingoists, and just about everyone is patriotic. Some are thoughtful patriots, who Obama will suit better. But a lot of people are all for smiting the enemy and we're right so our might is right.