Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-19-2012, 04:58 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Ben Stein agrees with Paul Krugman on taxes

Amazingly, staunch Republican Ben Stein argues strongly with Fox and Friends that high taxes do not impede growth and that taxes on persons making more than $1 million are too low. He also maintains that America does not just have a spending problem, but a tax problem. He goes on in his deadpan way to debunk claims that the fact revenue increases under Bush a few years after taxes went down meant that cuts do not cause revenue losses. He says revenues would have been higher without the cuts. Ben Stein channels Paul Krugman.

Ben Stein Jokes That Fox News Might Kill Him for Saying Taxes Are 'Too Low' | Video Cafe

Last edited by GeneV; 10-19-2012 at 05:08 AM.
10-19-2012, 06:26 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteQuote:
"The evidence is that there is no connection between the level of taxation and the level of economic activity," he pointed out. "The biggest growth we've ever had in this country was roughly 1941 to roughly 1973, that was the best years we ever had and those were years of much, much higher taxes than we have now, during war time and during peace time. So, the economy can grow very fast, even with much higher taxes. And we're going to have to do something."

"Taxes were like 70, 80 percent!" Doocy exclaimed.

"I know," Stein agreed. "And yet, we were very prosperous, we were extremely prosperous. I mean, the highest rate was in the 90s during parts of the 50s and, yet, we were very prosperous."
They must have soiled their knickers w/ that one...................
10-19-2012, 06:44 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Funny, great! I like how the Fox boys and girls look at him in dismay.
But the key statement is, I think, "I don't want my children and wonderful granddaughter to live in a bankrupt America." The thought is, "I'm in the same boat with the others. If the boat sinks, so do I."
10-19-2012, 07:26 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I was looking in dismay as well, because I have seldom agreed with Mr. Stein, but I was hearing him make arguments that I make.