Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-20-2012, 09:22 AM   #1

Trading in via Amazon & buying used

Hi everyone,

First to the mods, I apologize if this is not the proper area for these questions. As I did not see these types of questions anywhere else, I figured this was the place to post it.

I have been lurking here for the last several few years, and have come to really appreciate the expertise of the many of those who post frequently. In part, that is the reason why I figured it was time to sign up - to tap that pool of the knowledge & experience.

Now, I have finally decided that it is time to upgrade. For the last several years I have been casually shooting with a K20D that I picked up when the prices dropped upon the release of the K7 (I think I paid ~$650). I truly love my camera, and only wish I had more time of the last few years to devote to photography. This, however, will be changing this year, as my daughter's dance studio has asked me to be the competition team's official photographer. It's not a paying gig. But it means that, unlike in years past when I had to hide my camera (FYI: most competitions bar photo-taking), I will be able to get a badge and have stage-front access. At the two competitions that did allow photography, I took a ton of pictures with mixed results. The greatest challenge for me was low-light shooting of dancers constantly in motion. Obviously, the more I pushed the camera (re: higher ISO, ev, etc), the lower the quality of the image. So, I have decided to invest in a K5, now that the prices appear to be dropping due to the release of the K5ii & K5iis.

As I really can't afford that much out of pocket at the moment, I have thought about taking advantage of the trade in option available on Amazon. Currently, they are offering about $230 for body only if the camera is in great shape (FYI: mine is clean, little marks/scratches beyond normal use, & relatively low actuations - I think considering the age [slightly over 10,000]). After checking ebay, most of the K20Ds that have bids on them are going for around $250-300 but include more than just the body (kit lens, extra batteries, etc). So, even if I get the value of the good rating (currently $150), I would be satisfied.

So, my first question is has anyone utilized the trade-in option at Amazon before and was the experience positive?

&

Has anyone bought a used camera from Adorama through the Amazon marketplace? [Current selling a K5 for $699]

Thanks

Jesse

10-20-2012, 01:35 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome to forum Jesse.

IMHO, this seems like a reasonably fair deal on both ends. I think that is a decent price for both the K20D and the K5, particular in view of the fact that you need do nothing more than a few mouse clicks. Yes, you might be able to do a few dollars better on either end, but with much more effort invested. I personally have no experience with the Amazon trade-in, but overall Amazon does seem to do what they say they are going to do. Another option for selling your K20D would be to investigate what KEH ( http://www.keh.com/ ) offers for it, if nothing else it will provide a benchmark number to judge the Amazon deal by. On the other end, buying from Adorama is a pretty sure thing, I have have had many transactions with them without any issues whatsoever.

Regardless, I'm sure the K5 will be a big help in your efforts, good luck.

Matt
10-21-2012, 12:52 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks for your input Matt. To be honest, I did not know about Keh but I may give them a try simply because they have more gradations than Amazon which may mean a few more $$ in my pocket for the upgrade. Plus, they have a used k5 available. So, I may be able to conclude my upgrade in a single transaction!