Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-21-2012, 11:55 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Occ health and safety defies logic

I may have a rant every now and then about the use of artificially low speed limits and predatory tactics to raise revenue in this state, but I totally agree with the school zone limits and always obey them. I get angry that we have so many speed cameras on freeways designed for speeds at least 30kmh higher than the limit, but we almost never see the 40kmh limit being enforced. I've been 'road raged' for keeping to the limit.

I was driving up the road this morning and entered a school-hours 40kmh zone with the lights on. Since I wasn't over the limit, I wasn't looking for speed traps. A few people started to speed past me and then put the anchors on. I noticed someone about 400 metres ahead wearing a high vis vest. As I got closer, I could see that he was a cop with a hand-held radar gun. He aimed at several vehicles as I was approaching, but none interested him. Duh. Mate. They could see you in your high vis vest.

In one way he got a result. He slowed the traffic down. But if he hadn't been wearing that high vis vest, he might have booked a lot of people who habitually speed through school zones and might even have got some of them off the road. Which is better?

Richard.

10-22-2012, 12:04 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
On my daily commute to work I see the same people offending over and again.. They only slow down when the traffic police are there and highly visible. In South Africa traffic fines are pretty irrelevant to most people and do little to slow them down...

In my mind the hidden cop is nothing more than a glorified tax collector there to do one thing and that's fill the coffers...

To realistically do their primary job which is apparently perform law enforcement tasks only high visibility policing works.
10-22-2012, 09:15 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Hmmm. I would have thought that if you got a fine it would have more impact & make you think more than just seeing a cop, going "oops" & slowing down for one time. However if they have to stop & fine a bunch of people it means more paperwork. I wonder if they think they can get more people to slow down with less effort, doing it that way?
Highways might be designed for higher speed than the limit, but not all drivers are. They're eating, talking on the phone, talking to passengers, sleepy, distracted, just not concentrating, & how many of them would be able to safely avoid an accident if they needed to stop in a hurry or avoid an obstacle? If anything happened, how well could they control their car at whatever ridiculous speed they're doing?
I'm all for "safe" speed limits & always wind up with tailgaters who want to go faster. I pull over, get rid of them, & carry on my way. They can go climb up someone else's bumper.
10-22-2012, 02:26 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
It's better to be visible and in plain sight - better for people to slow down and adhere to the speed limit than to book them after the fact. No real point or gain in the latter, especially when the State Governments have grace periods every couple years where they clear the slate for anyone who has yet to pay their fines for traffic offences (can come to a million dollar loss in revenue for the State).

Consequently, I'd love to have more of them on the road - people do slow down and I prefer that. It really bugs me when people speed and do reckless things - to the point where I sometimes purposefully box people in if I can