Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-25-2012, 11:31 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Mitt Romney Is Trojan Horse for the Neocons

Bush All Over Again: Mitt Romney Is Trojan Horse for the Neocons | Alternet

QuoteQuote:
Romney’s demand for a new Syrian government of “responsible people” further suggests that the Republican presidential nominee shares the core neocon fantasy that the United States can simply remove one unsavory Middle East dictator and install a pro-Western, Israel-friendly leader who will then shut off aid to Hezbollah in Lebanon and Hamas in Gaza.

That was the central fallacy in the Iraq War, the notion that United States with its unparalleled military might could shift the Mideast’s political dynamics to Israel’s advantage through coercive “regime change.” In Iraq, the U.S. military eliminated Saddam Hussein but then saw a new Iraqi government ally itself with Iran.

The new Iraq may be less of a military threat, but it has not reached out and embraced Israel as some neocons had hoped. Indeed, by removing Hussein’s Sunni-controlled regime – and ending up with a Shiite-dominated one – Bush’s Iraq War essentially eliminated a major bulwark against the regional influence of Iran’s Shiite regime.

Dream Still Alive

Yet, despite the bloody and costly catastrophe in Iraq, the heart of the neocon dream is still beating – and Romney’s comment indicates that he shares its illusions.

10-25-2012, 04:50 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I wish that I knew a way for us to back completely away from those people in the middle east. Maybe take the damper off our own energy production so we wouldn't be so dependent on them? I don't know, that's just my opinion, I might be wrong. Or maybe we could just magically find a way to power our country without energy. Or maybe just go back to the stone age.
10-25-2012, 10:01 PM   #3
Pentaxian

This isn't just a neocon thing. US foreign policy has been meddling with other countries the world over for decades, turning a blind eye to whatever went on as long as that govt went along with what we wanted from them. The middle east is an especially nasty place to meddle. It's like a farmer trying to fix a rat problem by raising skunks.
10-26-2012, 07:17 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

"It's like a farmer trying to fix a rat problem by raising skunks."

Good analogy reeftool. Why we insist on making the world play by our rules is beyond me. Yes, we need to protect ourselves and help our "friends", but trying to change other very different cultures causes a lot of serious resentment. Especially when it comes to access to someones natural resources that we have absolutely no right to. Coming up with an energy source that is not in the hands of a few would be a great idea.

The original premise of this "Romney as a Trojan horse" may also be true. It could explain why a couple of months ago he was such a severe conservative compared to his current moderate stance on most issues. If we know for sure who is pulling his strings it could make a difference in a couple of weeks. As it stands now no one can know what he truly stands for or what will change if he is elected. It may come down to the devil you know vs. the devil you don't know. The whole, never-ending election process tends to bring out the pessimist in me.

10-26-2012, 07:31 AM   #5
Veteran Member

So if Romney is a Trojan horse - just how do the neocons get inside him? I'm ruling out the mouth
10-26-2012, 07:33 AM   #6
Pentaxian

My feeling is that Romeny is the relatively balanced guy who's playing the neocons for their support. It's hard to figure out which way it is.
10-26-2012, 08:52 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
My feeling is that Romeny is the relatively balanced guy who's playing the neocons for their support. It's hard to figure out which way it is.
That's the hope/view of moderate republicans and better informed independents. The hope of Ryan-ites of course is the opposite of this.

And the scariest thing is, all those 'undecideds' who finally started to pay attention only know two things: Mitt seems reasonable and presidential, and whatever the Democrats are saying sounds false (because, remember: the last two years of campaigning do not exist in such attention deficient voters minds.)
10-26-2012, 09:42 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jimH Quote
I wish that I knew a way for us to back completely away from those people in the middle east. Maybe take the damper off our own energy production so we wouldn't be so dependent on them? I don't know, that's just my opinion, I might be wrong. Or maybe we could just magically find a way to power our country without energy. Or maybe just go back to the stone age.
Well, the 'drill, baby drill' notion makes nice talk, but the actual numbers don't add up if we don't stop increasing consumption anyway, and it won't suddenly undo the results of colonialism and later neocon policies: reducing dependence on foreign sources of energy mostly involves going about things so we don't *need* so much: and it's not just a matter of putting up wind turbines and solar panels, but also plain old unglamorous conservation and efficiency: something like fourty percent of our energy consumption comes simply from heating and cooling poorly-insulated houses and all: so much of the rest is because we have our lives arranged so much around cars and shipping by truck and living far from where we work and get our groceries, even.

Too many neocon policies, generated by the same people Romney was among and has for advisors now, were the exact opposite of what needed to be done: even actual standards of living taking a back seat to corporate profits, while so many opportunities were squandered by Republican stonewalling: we had a rather bloated home improvement sector going without work because the housing bubble burst, and the neocons were too adamant about trillions in tax cuts and mad subsidies for the oil companies, when we might have put loads of people to work by investing that money in *needing* less of the foreign and pollutingly-obtained oil in the first place.

The 'Green Jobs' weren't just about starting solar panel companies, after all: there was so much that could have been done with what we actually have to have put us in a better position by now. A lot of the resources we spend simply aren't actually improving our quality of life or future, never mind position on the international stage.

Solutions in that regard don't have to mean 'going back to the stone age.' That's a red herring, if a long-running one promoted by people with profit-interests elsewhere.