Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-27-2012, 02:18 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Meteorologists have proper instruments. Generally speaking, meteorologists with instruments aren't any more accurate than people with bad knees, hips, elbows, or fingers that have learned to pay attention to them.
True enough, though I get fooled sometimes, either by kind of subconsciously blocking out the discomfort, or thinking it's a flare-up coming or worsening when it's really just the weather. (My special diet helps a lot there, though: that food sensitivity was really just aggravating everything. Like, the pressure's continued dropping from earlier, and I've really stiffened up, but it's not miserable or anything. This means it's easier to tell the difference. I suppose there'd better be some perks, here: the dietary monotony and going without some favorites is becoming a bit depressing. )

Went out and stocked up on food and distilled water, (Well, the water's for developer and stuff, really, but it doubles as an emergency supply and they'll be working on the water lines a while this week coming, and it's about time I tried this Diafine I've been hoarding. Time to refresh. ) Still feels in the spirit of things, I suppose. Big storm coming back home and all.

Wow. Pressure's still falling here, though.

I don't know about going by past experience too much on this one, though, apparently the confluence of circumstances is pretty bizarre.

10-27-2012, 02:35 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sagitta Quote
I practically grew up on LBI back then - my grandmother had a house on Persing Avenue in Holgate. I remember that flooding well. I also remember everyone talking about the 'Big Storm' that would come along some day and chew the island into pieces again like had been done in the past - I'm thinking this could be the one, and it's really heartbreaking.
There was the big Nor'easter in March 1962 that the locals just call "The March Storm". It washed away over 500 homes on the Island. Similar circumstances, a strong storm moving up the coast on a full moon. My fathers house in Beach Haven was flooded in December 1991 (I think). They had to move out, the house had structural damage. I lived in Surf City from 1971 -1976 and we were on fairly good ground but it was tricky getting to my fathers house. The Boulevard would flood and you had to drive the beach road. I grew up on the ocean in Fla and was used to those things happening from time to time but my wife was always upset when roads flooded. She grew up in the mountains. The concern around here is rain. The storm is forecast to go inland here as far west as Ottowa and move slowly. All the rain in the mountains doesn't stay there but flows back into the valleys. Thats what happened in Irene last year. The worse hit areas weren't directly hit by the storm but were flooded when heavy pockets of rain got trapped in the higher mountain areas. This is the Hudson River last year during the spring snow melt as the river level went over the dam. The folks downstream didn't fare too well. Irene was worse but I don't have a picture of the fall flood.

Last edited by reeftool; 12-29-2016 at 04:45 PM.
10-27-2012, 09:05 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Yea, I think that '62 storm is the one that killed the Chief of Police and some other officials (I want to say the mayor, or town supervisor, or something) at the end of the block. My grandmother's house was saved from wining up in Egg Harbor only because it became hung up in the power lines across the street.

My parents went to get my grandmother off the island during I *think* Agnes, or one of those. By the time they went to leave the Causeway was closed so they had to hole up in the firehouse in Beach Haven. My father likes to tell how he looked around the parking lot and spotted a pile of gravel at one end of the lot and parked our station wagon on top of it. Next day, his car was the only one that hadn't wound up getting fouled because of the rising water.
10-28-2012, 05:37 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I no longer have any relatives on the Island. My father and step mother have passed away and the rest of the family is in Manahawkin on the mainland.

10-28-2012, 08:56 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The late season storms are always the worst for us in the Northeast.

Chris
10-28-2012, 01:18 PM   #21
Veteran Member

well I got up this morning and took a ride down the Jersey shore. people hard at work pulling boats out of the water, boarding up windows. Wind is kicking in, white caps on the water. Other then that nothing to fear yet.
NPS won't let you on Sandy Hook but got a few shoots from the twin light house up on the cliffs in the Highlands.
10-28-2012, 02:32 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Meteorologists have proper instruments. Generally speaking, meteorologists with instruments aren't any more accurate than people with bad knees, hips, elbows, or fingers that have learned to pay attention to them.
If my knees (especially the worst one) were true indicators, we'd have 20 feet of snow, thunder storms raining broccoli and maybe even a volcano or two here.

10-28-2012, 04:28 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Just to get an idea how huge this storm is, we had visible bands from it in the sky today. I live in central Maine. I had to double check the satellite imagery just to make sure I wasn't imagining things here.

10-28-2012, 04:39 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just to get an idea how huge this storm is, we had visible bands from it in the sky today. I live in central Maine. I had to double check the satellite imagery just to make sure I wasn't imagining things here.

This storm is so big, it covers from my house to the kid`s grandparents at Fitchburgh MA. as far as the diameter of it goes.
10-28-2012, 04:42 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Nice shot of the bands!

It's no wonder you are seeing them even as far away as Maine - this is a huge storm!

Last edited by photolady95; 04-17-2016 at 01:46 AM.
10-28-2012, 04:59 PM   #26
Banned

Photos: Albums
Wonder how the mandatory evacs are going in some of the low areas in and around NY??
10-28-2012, 10:10 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

We are currently under an evacuation order.
We had some flooding here at high tide last evening, but nothing unusual.
But the rain and wind haven't begun in earnest.

I'm packed and ready to go. I plan to leave before this morning's high tide.

Chris
10-28-2012, 10:36 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
We are currently under an evacuation order.
We had some flooding here at high tide last evening, but nothing unusual.
But the rain and wind haven't begun in earnest.

I'm packed and ready to go. I plan to leave before this morning's high tide.

Chris
Eep! Good luck, Chris!
10-28-2012, 10:48 PM   #29
Pentaxian

Original Poster
The last thing I did tonight at work was check and prep a couple of 53ft reefer trailers and their refrig. units to be used for emergency food storage for shelters if it becomes necessary. They're in the loading dock but won't be loaded until tomorrow. There's a lot of preparation going on around here and we are pretty far north and inland.
10-28-2012, 11:57 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Unfortunately, 'north and inland' looks to be the path this things going to take.